There are 175 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lowell Cohen article on Mike Singletary

Nolan also used to draw up the defensive game plan. We all have seen how that worked.
Jim Zorn actually drawed up the Redskins offensive game plan and it worked so well that he no longer calls the plays.

There is some truth in Cohen article yet I can't relinquish the feeling that he dislikes Singeltary.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Nolan also used to draw up the defensive game plan. We all have seen how that worked.
Jim Zorn actually drawed up the Redskins offensive game plan and it worked so well that he no longer calls the plays.

There is some truth in Cohen article yet I can't relinquish the feeling that he dislikes Singeltary.

Are you defending a 3-5 record? Is that what we have waited an entire off season for

THREE and FIVE; get your s**t straight

Right now Cohen is the only one asking for answers
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
While I think it's fair to ask tough questions, it seems as if it's gotten a bit personal between the two. Nobody likes to be called out in public, which is in essence, what Cohn did at that news conference. Maybe Cohn needs to refresh his memory on ethics a bit. Be that as it may, he does raise some valid points, albeit in a somewhat crude manner.

For the past few weeks, I've been calling for Singletary to be replaced at season's end with Mike Shanahan. Why? I bear no ill will toward Coach...I like many things about him. However, like Cohn, I can't say at this point he's the guy to lead the Niners back to the playoffs. Being a leader/motivator is likely to take the team only so far. When I see Shanahan looking for the right opportunity to coach again, I can clearly see him leading the Niners. He's one of seemingly dozens of Walsh proteges, most definitely has the experience and knowledge to truly turn our team around. He would FIX our offense...starting with the OL and improving our RB corps. The QB situation remains to be flushed out, but I sure like the thought of Shanahan coaching our QB's. I understand it's not the norm to fire a head coach after just one season...but, how often are guys like Shanahan available? It's a rare opportunity Jed York must take advantage of. Of course, it's also possible Singletary can rally his charges to justify keeping him on board. Only time will tell. If he can't then I'll be calling loudly for his replacement, because I know Shanahan CAN do the job.

Another good point. Singletary relies on his coaches, Shanahan to a degree, doesnt. If coaches leave, Singletary is set back. With Shanahan, or Gruden, like Walsh, the nucleus is still there. It would be a win, win situation, with an X's and O's type coach. The scheme of our play continues.

[ Edited by TheCatch on Nov 12, 2009 at 05:56:33 ]
  • jerryricefan80
  • Info N/A
Mike and Mike were talking about something similar this morning, where former great players don't necessarily make great coaches because they just kind of expect their players to be able to do something with the same talent they had as a player. Golic brought up Reggie White, who when Golic was playing with him asked Reggie White to show him some of his pass rushing techniques and Reggie couldn't teach them how, he just knew how to do it.

Maybe Singletary is the same way, and in this league, willing your team to win isn't enough because at this level everybody is good and it comes down to talented coordinators or coaches creating mismatches or exploiting weaknesses in the opposing team.

But, the 49ers are really two years away from being a playoff team. They still have holes on O and D and need one year to fill them and get everybody up to speed. Maybe 3 years if they have to draft their next franchise QB in 2010.
Originally posted by Mex49:
Originally posted by JeuSF49:

Are you defending a 3-5 record? Is that what we have waited an entire off season for

THREE and FIVE; get your s**t straight

Right now Cohen is the only one asking for answers

No i'm not defending the 3-5 record. I hate the record. I hate the fact that we again have the same problems as in years past. No Oline, no passrush no identity!

I just think that the argument that a coach to have success has to be involved in the defensive/offensive game plan is ridicilous.

With some coaches it works with others it does not.

[ Edited by JeuSF49 on Nov 12, 2009 at 08:53:13 ]
Cohen is a loser!
I never drunk the Singletary koolaid. I have said from the start that we need an offensive coach. Preferrably one with West Coast Roots. This offseason is our chance to right the franchises wrong. We have been a medicore to scrubbish team since we stop running our west coast offense. We need Shanahan, Holmgren or Gruden. Preferably 2 of 3. I would love for Holmgren to be in a GM role w/ Scott Mc.
Originally posted by Ninerwinner:
I think people including beat writers are missing an important point...We DONT have the horses to run the race...We are still two years of drafting and FA away from being a contender for a championship. This season like it or not is about evaluating the players you have, developing the younger talent, building continuity, and setting up the pathway forward. Its one thing to have all the talent at the positions and still not win (ex. Cowboys), but its another to be missing the pieces and still expected to win. Anyone that knows football can see our deficiencies on offense and defense so lets not get side tracked when its irrelevant.

You got it, that is what scotty and singletary said in their reports to the senior management. Ownership and senior management comfort them with our internal scoreboard that is showing 7-1

All is good, 2012 it is.
The problem with the article is that it's purely based on assumptions. Maybe Cohen is right and Singletary is just a guy that speaks but how can you even say that for sure?

How many team meetings does Cohen attend? How often does he attend film sessions with the coaches when they break down film?

So you honestly believe that Singletary just sits in the corner of the room and doesn't do anything until the team needs a ra ra speech? My guess is even though he's not the main man drawing up the game plan he's right in there breaking down film and offering his input in the gameplan.

I don't think Singletary is above criticism as nobody is flawless but I don't think it's wise to judge a guy in his first full year. Especially when two very important areas of the team are either bad (O-line) or have big question marks on them (QB). Not very many teams make it to the playoffs when they have those kind of personnel problems.
Cohn is butthurt because Singletary got in his grill.
I hate the fact that we are 3-5, but with the exception of the ATL game we have brought every loss down to the wire. At the end either our D failed us or the O couldn't get it done. I dont know that we can total blame Sing as he has put our team in a position to win, but our players couldn't close the show.

Consider the facts.

We have swiss cheese for an Oline

We've changed QB and it is not yet clear if we have a winner on the roster

We have a new OC and offense (yet again) and Jimmy's still learning his players

Sing is a first time head coach and doesn't have DC or OC experience

All that said, I think Sing is doing a pretty dam good job.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
It's not a fine article. It's a GREAT article. Cohn has a point -- a valid point at that. He's asking the tough questions after watching the Niners -- once again -- slide into mediocrity and crappy play.

He's got every right to ask those questions. Glad he's doing it.
Ill also add a lot of succesful head coaches were more CEO, manager types and not X's and O's guys and let their coordinators run the show on offense and defense. Bill Parcells comes to mind. He was never known as an X'S and O'S guy and always relied on his coordinators. Same for Mike Ditka, Tom Coughlin, Dennis Green and even Bill Cowher.

I think Singletary will be fine
Originally posted by GEEK:
I agree with the article.

It just seems he's making the same mistakes as Mike Nolan did during his first couple of years.

First, it was about playoffs under Nolan. Same with Singletary. Now it's one game at a time, just like how Nolan turned that around.

You can pump up the fans all you want, but now its about results. What have you done for us lately?

Did you really think we were going to the playoffs? I thought we had a chance, but we still have some questions to be answered on this team. Please tell me you're not upset because Sing started off talking about playoffs and now after 4 losses in a row he's talking about taking it one game at a time. What do you expect for Sing to say? If Sing came out and said this team will still make the playoff this year you would think he was crazy.

Do you really think we have the players to make the playoffs? Hell, we're not sure if we have a QB. What moves you would like to see Singletary make that he hasn't made already? It's funny how most fans wanted the 49ers to open up the offense, go to the spread. When they did Alex threw some picks and now all the fans want to through Alex under the bus again. This team is a work in progress.
  • SS2K8
  • Veteran
Singeltary and Scotty decided to take the approach of winning with what we have now, building onto what we already have. So if that's the case, i refuse to count this as a true first season for the Singeltary regime. We're doin the same exact things we did in the Nolan era, with mostly the same players. I do not need to wait 2 entire years to see this is not working. Again.

I've seen plenty of new regimes come in with various teams and turn over 2/3rds of the roster in no more than 2 offseasons. Scotty needs to go. How is he gonna correct the problems of the last regime if he was part of the last regime? Those are all his players. A new GM needs to be brought in who knows how to build a football team. If you need a guy to find you talent, Scotty is your man. However, I really don't believe he has any idea how to build a fully functional football team. How do you dominate games? Strong offensive line play, and a defense that knows how to impose their will on the other team by flattening their QB. We have neither, and Scotty has had multiple offseasons to correct these issues.

As for Sing, I don't believe you have to be a great tactician, but if that is the case, then the front office or ownership must insist he hires more viable coaches as his coordinators, even if that includes the front office hand picking his coordinators.

My main point is that just about everybody that's around our team now has been for quite a while, even if it was in a smaller capacity. Things are becoming a little too incestuous at this point within our organization, i think it's becoming a huge issue.

I am in favor of Sing returning next year regardless of the record, however Scotty, Raye and Manusky need to go. This does not come off as a true new regime, and the lack of patience by many 49er fans is a reflection of that. As for people who believe it's a bad idea to change diretions once again...what new direction have we pointed our ship in lately? We haven't changed course in years.