There are 158 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lowell Cohen article on Mike Singletary

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20091111/sports/911119921

What do you guys think? Im not a big fan of Cohen and I think the whole situation with him and Sing was overblown and I thought Sing handled it pretty well as he turned it into a joke and kept it moving but I think this is a pretty good, fair, article.

I still believe in Singletary and I believe he and the 49ers will be a successful, winning team.
I do think Singletary is a terrific motivater and it is clear the guys like, respect and play hard for Singletary. Aside from some delay of games the last few weeks (and that you can blame for having a new QB, WR's, etc) we do not get penalized very often and for the most part play clean, good, organized football game.

What I love about Singletary is he is not affraid make changes. Most coaches are stubborn and stick with things/players even when its not working, obviously Nolan comes to mind. I love that Singletary does not have an ego in that way and will put in a player or change up things if gives us a better chance to win. Look at the way he handled the Crabtree situation. He kept positive and did not bash Crabtree when he given the chance, I think a lot of other head coaches would have talked down and negative about a guy holding out and I also bet you a lot of coaches would not start a guy who signed 5 weeks into the season but Singletary was not affraird to because Crabtree was/is our best WR and Singletary is going to put the best guys on the field.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I agree with the article.

It just seems he's making the same mistakes as Mike Nolan did during his first couple of years.

First, it was about playoffs under Nolan. Same with Singletary. Now it's one game at a time, just like how Nolan turned that around.

You can pump up the fans all you want, but now its about results. What have you done for us lately?
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20091111/sports/911119921

What do you guys think? Im not a big fan of Cohen and I think the whole situation with him and Sing was overblown and I thought Sing handled it pretty well as he turned it into a joke and kept it moving but I think this is a pretty good, fair, article.

I still believe in Singletary and I believe he and the 49ers will be a successful, winning team.

Lowell Cohn can't have many fans.....................I don't understand why the Chronicle or whatever the SF paper is called these days keeps him on staff.
It's not a fine article. It's a GREAT article. Cohn has a point -- a valid point at that. He's asking the tough questions after watching the Niners -- once again -- slide into mediocrity and crappy play.

He's got every right to ask those questions. Glad he's doing it.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GEEK:
I agree with the article.

It just seems he's making the same mistakes as Mike Nolan did during his first couple of years.

First, it was about playoffs under Nolan. Same with Singletary. Now it's one game at a time, just like how Nolan turned that around.

You can pump up the fans all you want, but now its about results. What have you done for us lately?

Yeah, I heard Sing say the team is going to grow up or something like it against Chicago, and when asked how he said just watch, I don't it just sounded like a tease to get people to watch , maybe it's just me, seemed weird
I am all for guys like Kawakami and Cohn getting after the team a little and challenging them on what they say and do. And I think it's fair of Cohn to ask these questions.

But I also think that in this article he kind of ignores some of Singletary's successes. Things like turning Vernon Davis into a probowl level player, instilling more toughness in all our players with a more physical camp, and salvaging last season from total disaster. I think in those areas he's clearly doing a good job.

The thing that the article brings up that I think is the most relevant is that this type of HC is very dependent on good coordinators. And frankly, I don't think either of our coordinators is a big enough Xs and Os genius to make the motivator HC thing work. Maybe I'm wrong tho. Sure hope so.
Its Put up or Shut up time. The 49ers only have themselves to blame for this. It started when they let number 4 take that game from them.
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Its Put up or Shut up time. The 49ers only have themselves to blame for this. It started when they let number 4 take that game from them.

The season's slipping away. Start strong, go through long slump, win last couple of games. Ra, ra, we'll win the division next year. That sounds familiar.
Cohen is acting like a child about all this. That article was pure garbage. All he did was try to find any way possible to talk s**t on Singletary. It's kind of sad to see someone, who got so shook up by Singletary powning him in a room full of reporters that he has to b***h and moan about Singletary in every article he writes this week? You think the third one would have been plenty, but nope, here comes some more nonsense!

Cohen just looks like a whiny b***h.
Cohn wrote a book with Walsh, so he thinks because he hung out extensively with Walsh, he knows what it takes to be a great coach. He always makes sure to mention Walsh and suck his azz every chance he gets. I didn't get 200 words into that article before I knew he was gonna name drop The Genius's name. Also, the guy was looking for confrontation with Singletary at that press conference. His big question for Sing was: "Well, how do you know that your players will be motivated to play better?" Now where I come from, any question that starts with "How do you know" is an argument or conflict starter because the answer is gonna be based on my opinion and if mine doesnt mesh with yours, its time for arguing.

Sorry to tell you Lowell, just because you gargled on Bill Walsh's nuts, doesn't mean all coaches are going to break it down to you in detail on how his players are motivated. But its obvious that Cohn wanted to try to start some sh!t as he is trying to do with this article to keep the spotlight on Singletary, who definitely deserves some heat. But I am one who feels that as much as it could be a scheme issue with these loses, it is also about talent which the Niners don't have enough of. And it doesn't help that some of those talented players have been injured either.

[ Edited by 602_JamestownAve on Nov 12, 2009 at 00:12:03 ]

That game is the least of their worries. This is just not a real good team. Totally overrated on the WZ because people are FANS and want the team to do well. It was obvious to anyone if you look at the coaching staff, roster and ownership this team is going nowhere. I knew that before the season started. Now some others are just waking up to the fact.
If Cohn wants more coaches like Bill Walsh in SF, he's going to have to wait a long, long, long time.
Originally posted by father49er:

The season's slipping away. Start strong, go through long slump, win last couple of games. Ra, ra, we'll win the division next year. That sounds familiar.

yep, hey are you going tomorrow? MR TRITIP!!
I think people including beat writers are missing an important point...We DONT have the horses to run the race...We are still two years of drafting and FA away from being a contender for a championship. This season like it or not is about evaluating the players you have, developing the younger talent, building continuity, and setting up the pathway forward. Its one thing to have all the talent at the positions and still not win (ex. Cowboys), but its another to be missing the pieces and still expected to win. Anyone that knows football can see our deficiencies on offense and defense so lets not get side tracked when its irrelevant.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home