LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

With a good O-line, Smith better than Eli and Flacco??

Shop Find 49ers gear online

With a good O-line, Smith better than Eli and Flacco??

looking at Eli's and Flaccos stats, it looks very comparable to Smith. Both the Ravens and Giants have a MUCH better Oline than we do, but can Smith put up the numbers or better with a stingy offensive line??

judging off 2 1/2 games, you can definitely tell that Alex has matured. He's more confident, hes more cool, and hes more aggressive throwing the ball down field, and has all the trust in world in Crabs, Morgan, and Davis. Not to mention the guys he threw to when he was running the scout.. I hope Alex can improve over these next 8 games, maybe be the comeback player of the year, build the oline through the draft and Free Agency, and we got our selfs on offense!!
Also, i know its only been 2 1/2 games and everyone is calling for Smiths head after the poor decision making vs Tennessee, but..

A. Smith, averaging 276yds 6tds 5 int 64% / 2 1/2 games

M. Ryan, averaging 223yds 13tds 10int 61% / 8 games
J. Cutler, averaging 256yds 14td 12int 64% / 8 games
E. Manning, averagin 230yds 15td 8 int 60% / 8 games
  • bret
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
looking at Eli's and Flaccos stats, it looks very comparable to Smith. Both the Ravens and Giants have a MUCH better Oline than we do, but can Smith put up the numbers or better with a stingy offensive line??

judging off 2 1/2 games, you can definitely tell that Alex has matured. He's more confident, hes more cool, and hes more aggressive throwing the ball down field, and has all the trust in world in Crabs, Morgan, and Davis. Not to mention the guys he threw to when he was running the scout.. I hope Alex can improve over these next 8 games, maybe be the comeback player of the year, build the oline through the draft and Free Agency, and we got our selfs on offense!!

While our offensive line is bad (a matter of philosophy, I'm afraid--big, slow linemen don't work in this league; that's why Staley and Heitman are our only keepers, although I still hold out hope Rachal will develop), the fact is Alex made the key mistakes in the last three games when the game was on the line.

Everyone got excited when he had a great half against Houston, but Houston had a big lead and hadn't been scouting Alex. His physical talent sure looked impressive. But in the final moments it was his key mental error (delay of game) and interception that ended it. Winners don't cost teams games with those types of mistakes.

It boils down to lack of awareness: he's gotten better. But he's still no better than Steve DeBerg. You know, the guy who put up a ton of yardage on those early losing Walsh teams, but threw interceptions and had mental lapses that always seemed to cost his team the game. Bill Walsh said of him, "he's just good enough to kill you!"

And I'm afraid that's my conclusion about Alex Smith!

Please, Alex, prove me wrong! I'd love to eat crow all the way to the Super Bowl. But, I'm afraid I just don't see it happening.
Obviously, yes.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

That's the flaw in your argument right there. Don't even judge right now. Wait a few more games, and then start asking these questions.
Way too early to tell.... and threads like this just make the haters hate him more.

Get us a good O-line first, and then we can actually tell.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 11, 2009 at 18:47:51 ]
I don't think it's just the O-line, although they are at best inconsistent. It's a combination of the line, Smith still in his 1st year with Raye, need more experience reading defenses, and another one that rarely mentioned--I think he's still trying to get in sync with his other starter offensive players.

[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 11, 2009 at 19:08:53 ]
I want Alex to succeed more than the next guy....but seriously, can we just give the kid like 5 games to start...

everyone is making all these judgements on the kid and he's only played in 2.5 games in two years

Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I remember the days when the 9ers always had a good line. I was very encouraged going into the year and really thought Baas/Rachal were going to blossom around Staley/Heitman. Who would have thought it would be this bad this year? Alex would be a much better QB with a good OL considering the weapons we have and the fact that a good OL would improve the running game also.

It is really hard to tell. With Alex he's never had a good line all the time he's been here. So we don't really know. Overly simplistic posters just say it's all the QB and Alex sucks. But he's had one of the worst lines in the league for all his time and it contributed to 2 season ending injuries.

It's ironic our line got a slight bit better and then Staley gets hurt and now Alex gets his "2nd chance." Now we have 2 OT's who can't block and 2 OG's who can't block. How can anybody succeed behind that?

I still don't know honestly?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

It is really hard to tell. With Alex he's never had a good line all the time he's been here. So we don't really know. Overly simplistic posters just say it's all the QB and Alex sucks. But he's had one of the worst lines in the league for all his time and it contributed to 2 season ending injuries.

It's ironic our line got a slight bit better and then Staley gets hurt and now Alex gets his "2nd chance." Now we have 2 OT's who can't block and 2 OG's who can't block. How can anybody succeed behind that?

I still don't know honestly?

seriously this offseason besides staley and heitmann we need a completely overhaul our o line
If you gave someone 5 million dollars would they be a millionaire?
Share 49ersWebzone