LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 113 users in the forums

Lowell Cohn interview with Ira Miller

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Link
Hmmm... Screw both of them
wow seems like an honest interview.... the only thing I disagree with Ira on is that we can run the ball well....but the rest is interesting...

these are the parts that stood out to me.

Quote:
Cohn: Compare Vince Young and Alex Smith.

Miller: The interesting thing about Sunday's game was that it was the 2nd start of the 2nd time around for both quarterbacks, and Young clearly outplayed Smith. It was kind of obvious and that leads me to believe during their time off Young improved materially and Smith didn't improve materially. Is that because Smith didn't learn? I don't think so. He's a smart guy. The only conclusion I can draw is he doesn't have the tools. This is not to say it's the end of his career but it's not a good sign. We know Bill Walsh made a big deal of saying he needed a different kind of quarterback to come off the bench in a backup role and change the pace of the game. And that's what Smith did when he came off the bench in Houston and got everyone real excited. We can't be real impressed with his 2 games as a starter. He was so-so against the Colts and bad against the Titans.

Cohn: Elaborate on bad.

Miller: Indecisive. Even Rich Gannon on tv emphasized he was too late delivering passes. That brings us back full circle to something Smith's college coach said - Smith is going to struggle until everything is perfect around him and he knows everything perfectly. I took that to mean he won't be decisive until he's certain of everything. Things rarely are perfect in an NFL game - a lot of chaos goes on. If you're not decisive and quick delivering the ball it gives the defense a chance to react and you wind up losing to a 1-6 team.

Cohn: Singletary said Smith did OK.

Miller: That depends on what his definition of OK is. If he thinks this is OK he's never going to win anything. Is this what he aspires to?

Cohn: Do you still think Singletary has the team improving?

Miller: Certainly not last week.

Cohn: How is Singletary doing?

Miller: It's difficult to make any blanket judgments. I understand he's got a problem at quarterback. As far as we know he understands that too. He's not going to come out and say we can't win because my quarterback sucks. But it's kind of interesting, a lot of people notice a lot of good young quarterbacks in the NFL right now, just not on the 49ers or Raiders.

Cohn: You heard the tape of Singletary and me at his Monday news conference. He got upset over what I considered a mild question. Why? Does it tell us anything about him?

Miller: I guess he got upset because on a certain level he realized what he was saying was BS. It brings us back to Mike Nolan -- it smells good in the building. Stop talking about it and show me something. Don't tell me how much you like this team. Just do it. Didn't he know they were already under .500 when they played Tennessee? Wasn't that a good time to turn it around?

[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 11, 2009 at 15:12:12 ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
wow seems like an honest interview.... the only thing I disagree with Ira on is that we can run the ball well....but the rest is interesting...

these are the parts that stood out to me.

Quote:
Cohn: Compare Vince Young and Alex Smith.

Miller: The interesting thing about Sunday's game was that it was the 2nd start of the 2nd time around for both quarterbacks, and Young clearly outplayed Smith. It was kind of obvious and that leads me to believe during their time off Young improved materially and Smith didn't improve materially. Is that because Smith didn't learn? I don't think so. He's a smart guy. The only conclusion I can draw is he doesn't have the tools. This is not to say it's the end of his career but it's not a good sign. We know Bill Walsh made a big deal of saying he needed a different kind of quarterback to come off the bench in a backup role and change the pace of the game. And that's what Smith did when he came off the bench in Houston and got everyone real excited. We can't be real impressed with his 2 games as a starter. He was so-so against the Colts and bad against the Titans.

Cohn: Elaborate on bad.

Miller: Indecisive. Even Rich Gannon on tv emphasized he was too late delivering passes. That brings us back full circle to something Smith's college coach said - Smith is going to struggle until everything is perfect around him and he knows everything perfectly. I took that to mean he won't be decisive until he's certain of everything. Things rarely are perfect in an NFL game - a lot of chaos goes on. If you're not decisive and quick delivering the ball it gives the defense a chance to react and you wind up losing to a 1-6 team.

Cohn: Singletary said Smith did OK.

Miller: That depends on what his definition of OK is. If he thinks this is OK he's never going to win anything. Is this what he aspires to?

Cohn: Do you still think Singletary has the team improving?

Miller: Certainly not last week.

Cohn: How is Singletary doing?

Miller: It's difficult to make any blanket judgments. I understand he's got a problem at quarterback. As far as we know he understands that too. He's not going to come out and say we can't win because my quarterback sucks. But it's kind of interesting, a lot of people notice a lot of good young quarterbacks in the NFL right now, just not on the 49ers or Raiders.

Cohn: You heard the tape of Singletary and me at his Monday news conference. He got upset over what I considered a mild question. Why? Does it tell us anything about him?

Miller: I guess he got upset because on a certain level he realized what he was saying was BS. It brings us back to Mike Nolan -- it smells good in the building. Stop talking about it and show me something. Don't tell me how much you like this team. Just do it. Didn't he know they were already under .500 when they played Tennessee? Wasn't that a good time to turn it around?

I do agree the interview is quite honest.....and I bet you anything Cohn is totally rooting for the Niners to lose so he can stand right next to Singletary during the press conference lol.
Wow, this seems like baby sht to me. Cohn is obviously trying to go on this childish "Well now i hate the 49ers" path.

"Cohn: You heard the tape of Singletary and me at his Monday news conference. He got upset over what I considered a mild question. Why? Does it tell us anything about him?"

Wow. What a question to ask.

Let it go. Just let it go.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
"Cohn: You heard the tape of Singletary and me at his Monday news conference. He got upset over what I considered a mild question. Why? Does it tell us anything about him?"

-9fA

Yeah seriously. This was the motivation for the whole interview. This guy used to be the biggest homer and now after a little quibble with Sing, he's dong what he can to discredit the team. Fvck him.
Originally posted by verb1der:
I do agree the interview is quite honest.....and I bet you anything Cohn is totally rooting for the Niners to lose so he can stand right next to Singletary during the press conference lol.

yes he is.....but man...I don't think he knows that Sing might flinch towards him, before realizing what he is about to do.....and probably storms off the podium...

Seriously I know Sing needs to be optimistic about the win....but if we lose in the same fashion..AT HOME again.....then he needs to just make sure he doesn't show up.....man who am I kidding he is going to show up, but what happens next ....its like the old days....with Wrestling story lines, you just HAVE to see what happens because you don't really know.

we need a LIVE feed of the Post game conference....Win or Lose it is going to be entertaining....

but seriously, like I have said before Sing set himself up for this by inviting a journalist (who is looking for drama) to sit next to him........he should have set things straight between him and Cohn before this Thursday's game.

[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 11, 2009 at 15:22:51 ]
  • Mex49
Until singletary lives up to his big talk, he is going to be a bullseye.

No point defending a loosing coach
We have not played well. Facts are facts. When that happens the media are like sharks with blood in the water. So who cares what Cohn is brewing up the team has to start winning again bottom line. Enough is enough.

Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by verb1der:

yes he is.....but man...I don't think he knows that Sing might flinch towards him, before realizing what he is about to do.....and probably storms off the podium...

Seriously I know Sing needs to be optimistic about the win....but if we lose in the same fashion..AT HOME again.....then he needs to just make sure he doesn't show up.....man who am I kidding he is going to show up, but what happens next ....its like the old days....with Wrestling story lines, you just HAVE to see what happens because you don't really know.

we need a LIVE feed of the Post game conference....Win or Lose it is going to be entertaining....

but seriously, like I have said before Sing set himself up for this by inviting a journalist (who is looking for drama) to sit next to him........he should have set things straight between him and Cohn before this Thursday's game.

I agree, seems like Cohn has gotten into his head. Reporter's are paid to invoke drama and controversy, Singletary will learn from this.

In my opinion, Singletary needs to quit stressin that "this is a special team" to the reporters, keep the motivational talk in the locker room, reporter's only look at results. Everything gets criticized during a losing streak, talk becomes really cheap.

[ Edited by verb1der on Nov 11, 2009 at 15:28:10 ]
  • flow
  • Veteran
Hey, Lowell...

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Mex49:
Until singletary lives up to his big talk, he is going to be a bullseye.

No point defending a loosing coach

I agree that Sing did bring all this on himself by talking about playoffs and this team is special. He kind of went against his own motto of "Dont tell me, show me".
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Wow, this seems like baby sht to me. Cohn is obviously trying to go on this childish "Well now i hate the 49ers" path.

I'm seeing the same thing. It's like they're back in highschool trying to find friends to agree what big jerks the jocks are. Come on and grow up!
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

It's seems that Cohn has been infected with Kawakami-itis, and felt a need to inject himself into a story.
Share 49ersWebzone