There are 181 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Taking a close look at each pass vs Titans

1st quarter - Pass # < sh = shotgun --- sp = spread --- sb = single back >

1. sp - quick 3 step drop and short throw to VD
(worthless gain... pointless, Jimmy Raye)

2. sp - deep drop, to set up screen to Gore for big gain
(Smith had to run back 11 yards just to avoid the rush as Baas missed the crashing DE)

3. bunched up set - quick 3 step and throw to DWalk... too high and out of bounds at sideline
(would have amounted to a 2 yd gain if caught... pretty lame, Jimmy Raye)

4. sb, 2 TE twin set on the right... 5 step drop, nice pass on a slant route to DWalk...
(entire OL and pocket was collapsing badly)

5. sh - OL did nice job blocking, Gore also... deep pass to doubled up VD overthrown
(no visible open receivers, Smith never took his eyes off VD)

6. sh - OL breaks down quickly, Alex runs for it, comes up just shy of the sticks due to a incredible tackle from Finnegan
(Rachal failed on the inside, causing AS to wisely abandon the pocket)

7. 2 TE twin - 7 step drop, 3.1 seconds and sacked
(rush up the middle, DTs stunt caused Heitmann + Rachal to fail, as well as Snyder failing to sustain and his DE converged to sandwich AS)

8. sh - quick PA screen to Crabby incomplete
(thrown way high, due to Sims not getting good jolt on DE... free DE jumps high, forcing overthrown ball)

9. sh - quick screen to Crabby caught for short gain
(great awareness of LDT to hussle over for interior stop)

10. sp - 3 step drop, deliberate incompleteout of bounds
(poor decision by AS to flush out right... should have stayed put, but didn't like 1st read)

11. sh - interception on sideline
(throw was on the money, DB stuck his arm in and tipped it up... good awareness by second closing DB... thrown too late or just a great CB shadowing Crabtree? Would have liked to see Crabtree go up for and attack that ball... he let it come to him, allowing the DB to make a play... Crabtree also rounded out his route... not a sharply cut deep out at all)

1st quarter thoughts:

Only 2... (shoulda been 3) passes were something to give the "pump-fist" over. The slant to DWalk and the screen to Gore (just because of the athleticism needed for AS to have made that pass) The 3rd would possibly have been the deep out to Crabby that was picked off. Crabtree's sloppy route, lack of effort in attacking the ball, and just great DB play was more to blame there. Add the scramble by AS when Rachal failed his block to the positive list.

2 passes (2 complete, 1 not) were just worthless calls by Raye that did or would gain nothing. 1 completed screen attempt was okay, but great defensive awareness snuffed it out. Add 1 boneheaded endzone throw into double coverage... add 1 incomplete due to poor LT effort to affect the DE on a quick pass.

[ Edited by oldman9er on Nov 11, 2009 at 09:34:56 ]
2nd quarter - Pass # < sh = shotgun --- sp = spread --- sb = single back >

1. sp - 5 step drop, quick throw outside to Bruce for a few yds
(overall decent OL protection)

2. tight formation, 1 split slot - 7 step drop, AS runs for 1st down conversion
(AS was chased out of pocket by failed Snyder block on LDT)

3. twin-WR I-form - 7 step drop, beautiful over the shoulder deep pass to VD with the safety close behind him

4. sb, 2 WR right - 7 step PA - good pass to Gore for 7 yds
(Snyder getting steadily backup by by DE close in front of AS)

5. sb bunch - 7 step PA - AS fumble from hit
(VD was beaten badly by LDE, AS grabbed on shoulder, spun to get away, DE's right hand poked the ball out)

I have no idea why it won't post the remaining 2nd quarter here... apologies, working on it.

6. sp - 5 step drop, quick bullet pass over middle to Crabby for 9 yds
(fantastic grab by Crabtree, really shows the hands over the middle... protection up middle breaking down quickly)
2 min. warning

7. sh - 5 steps back, strike to Crabtree over middle for 17 yds

8. sh - quick strike to VD for 5 yds
(Sims allowed RDE to get to AS around the ankles)

9. sh - incomplete to sideline for Bruce
(Bruce slipped down during route, went to sideline a lil gimpy)

10. sh - strike to VD for 13 yds
(protection broke down quickly from all over)

11. sh - underneath over the mid to Gore for 8 yds
(OL held up well)

12. sh - beautiful 20 yard TD to Hill
(DE beat Snyder around outside shoulder, forcing AS to run right, then throw across his body... DE had a piece of AS but he shrugged it off as he scrambled out

2nd quarter thoughts:

8 of 12 good passes... 1 incomplete that Bruce fell down on... 1 awful play on the sack/fumble because he didn't protect the ball well enough... 1 short completion pretty useless short crap from Jimmy Raye... 1 good decision to run for the 1st down...

[ Edited by oldman9er on Nov 11, 2009 at 09:39:29 ]
Thanks old man, I appreciater your analysis. I would like your conclusions at the end of your research such as line play, whether AS is playing well or if he is in learning curve for this offense, quality of the receivers. I like the analysis of Crabtree of whether he should have come back to get the ball and knock it down if he can't catch it. Thanks
Good stuff
As always Oldman, thank you for your contribution to the Zone. These insights to the actual game give us a chance to focus on different aspects of the game. Here, it's Alex Smith.

I look forward to the rest and thank you again my Niner Bro!

My only comment is about the "worthless" plays called by Jimmy Raye. I'm not sure this is the case, but every play isn't necessarily designed to gain big yardage. Sometimes you call a play early to set up a similar but different play later on in the game. Or it could be that JR is clueless...
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
My only comment is about the "worthless" plays called by Jimmy Raye. I'm not sure this is the case, but every play isn't necessarily designed to gain big yardage. Sometimes you call a play early to set up a similar but different play later on in the game. Or it could be that JR is clueless...

I would say how can it all be blamed on Raye when Alex doesn't go through his progressions properly unless it was a one man route. Or the WR didn't get enough depth on his route, or could have been lousy o line play.

good break down oldman
Quote:

(Smith had to run back 11 yards just to avoid the rush as Baas missed the crashing DE)

Great post and I"m going to let you finish and all but I got to stop you right here.

First how can you call the 1st pass of the game pointless so if Vernon breaks four tackles and takes it to the house is it still a worthless play?

Screen pass the QB is supposed to run back and draw the D to him to set up the screen I wouldn't be shocked if Baas was told to let the DE go on that play to make it impossible for him to break it up.

What are you doing wasting your time in the zone you should be the 9ers OC
how can he go through his progressions when he has to worry about constant pressure every time he drops back to pass? Tell me that it's Alex smith's fault, come on now.
great post!! THANKS!
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Quote:

Great post and I"m going to let you finish and all but I got to stop you right here.

First how can you call the 1st pass of the game pointless so if Vernon breaks four tackles and takes it to the house is it still a worthless play?

Screen pass the QB is supposed to run back and draw the D to him to set up the screen I wouldn't be shocked if Baas was told to let the DE go on that play to make it impossible for him to break it up.

Wow. Why don't you make these posts if you're so smart at offensive playcalling? Jeez dude, calm down. Oldman is just inserting his opinion in his posts, and I usually agree with him. No need for the a*****e-ness.
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Quote:

Wow. Why don't you make these posts if you're so smart at offensive playcalling? Jeez dude, calm down. Oldman is just inserting his opinion in his posts, and I usually agree with him. No need for the a*****e-ness.

My comments were tongue and cheek

Why don’t I cause I didn't design the play and I don’t know who is going to block who and who is going to run what route and who is going to pick up who on an audible and what the line calls are and who missed a route or timing or it was the WR fault or the QB fault or the RB fault cause blah blah from watching replays.

That’s why.

If that dude knows what’s supposed to happen on every play by watching replays then he is one of the best I’ve ever heard of and should be the OC
It's okay, I took no offense.

I'll try to elaborate what I mean when I say "worthless play". It seems clear to me on some plays that there is not gonna be room for a worthwhile pickup of yards. Here's an example... first pass of the game...

Quote:

The ball is going to VD on the 1 yard out. VD has a defender on his back and has virtually no chance of making positive yardage. It looks designed to be a warning to the defense... but what it does is put us at 2nd and 9.5 yds to go. I don't like some of these designed short routes is all I'm saying. Maybe it's good only in that it's a QB confidence booster... but to me, feels like a wasted down. It's forcing it to a specific player regardless of coverage. Raye has to remember that we can do better than that. Anyway... just an opinion.

3rd quarter - Pass # < sh = shotgun --- sp = spread --- sb = single back >

1. sh - nice 5 yarder to Hill across the middle for 1st down
(OL did their job okay)

2. 2 TE in I-form - 7 step drop, quick pass over mid to Gore for 6 yds
(OL did okay... another second and Baas would have collected a sack)

3. bunch - 7 step drop, incomplete to Morgan over middle
(looked like there was no OL on the field, total collapse)

4. sh - deliberately thrown out of bounds
(Snyder got destroyed by a spin move by DE, who forces AS to scramble right. AS keeps eyes downfield, but finally throws it away)

5. sb - 3 step quick out to VD for 11 yds
(nice play design)

6. sp - 8 defenders in the box - sack
(the safety just split right through Heitmann and a lumbering/clueless Rachal for the immediate sack... just awful)

7. sh - fumble caused by LDE
(Snyder was easily beaten on inside shoulder, AS hit as he tried to throw)

8. bunch - 7 step drop, incomplete to Morgan
(flat out dropped by Morgan)

9. sh - nice decision and quick pass to Gore on an out for 10 yds
(Sims was struggling with the RDE)

10. sb - 3 step drop - quick pass to VD for 8 yds
(CB blitz coming hard)

3rd quarter thoughts:

5 decent/good passes... 3 lousy miscues from horrific blocking... 1 sideline throw away... 1 easy drop...

[ Edited by oldman9er on Nov 11, 2009 at 13:40:22 ]
Wow man this is GREAT analysis. Keep it coming.
Great analysis!

After the first few games I thought it would be best (in the long run) for the 49ers if Alex got a shot at some point. IMO we have never really seen him get a proper shot at starting (at least on a good team). While I have the upmost respect for Shaun Hill and really wanted him to succeed we eventually saw his limitations, in that respect I thought that Alex has the most upside. I am really pleased we are starting him! I do not understand all the Smith haters right now, I will always support the current team QB.

To the people who don't want Alex who would we take?

-A 5th round rookie QB? While I will admit he looked good in preseason I have faith in the coaching staff, if they do not think he is ready I don't think he is. A lot of people passed on him to drop that low, people paid a lot money to make decisions about players! While there are examples of QBs drafted in the later rounds becoming very good QBs, I can't think of one who did so as a rookie.

-Shaun Hill? If we still had Hill as a QB we may have more wins, (of that no one can be sure) but I personally would love to see Alex given a proper chance. Imagine if we had Shaun Hill for the whole season, even if we get a respectable record there would always be that doubt about the potential of Alex (who as I have said earlier did not get a proper shot) and I do think we would eventually have to look at using a high draft pick on a QB, as IMO Hill will never be able to pick apart top defences.

I do think we should let Alex play out the rest of the season. Then if he fails we know we need to use a high pick on a QB (or Davis if the coaching staffed are satisfied with his progress).

Or if he succeeds then we have QB who can stretch the field and can use our picks elsewhere. If Alex does turn into a good QB I think this team has the potential to take the next step of a perennial playoff team, due to the good position we are in (draft wise) and the fact we have a lot of young talent in key positions.

Just my take, please don't rip into me living in the UK I don't get a chance to watch all the games, but I try my hardest to keep up news wise and watch (thank you Justin TV) any games I can.