LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

'Spread offense' is 'Only Solution'

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by MadMartz:
If we spread it out we need to start throwing deep. We dont take enough shots down the field with go routes as much as id like to see. Nothing can change a defense faster than a couple 50 yd bombs down the field. Even if they are incomplete it still sends a message and backs them up a lil. That in turn helps open up the short to intermediate passing game and the run.

I have to respond to this. I agree and have been saying it for a long time. One thing we have on this team is speed. We have a TE who can outrun most players, Crabtree who can run, Hill has 4.3 speed and Morgan who can run. We should take 1-2 deep shots per quarter. Have they thrown more than 2 bombs this year?
THROW IT DEEP YOU f**kERS!!! DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Great Article by Glenn Dickey. Basically, he says that there are two types of successful coaches: Those that come in with a philosophy and get the players to run that system. And there are coaches who adapt to their team.

According to Dickey, it looks like Sing falls into the second camp. He then goes on to lay out all the reason the spread is perfect for the 49ers:

1. QB w/ a history in the Spread
2. Poor pass protection. Easier to make quick reads out of the spread.
3. Poor run blocking. RBs have more room when running out of the spread -- Gore had a great game (5.5yds/carry)
4. Emergence of Crabtree and Hill to compliment Davis
5. What've you go to lose??? You're 3-5. Better find a way to win....fast.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sports/Dickey-Spread-offense-is-the-only-solution-for-Niners-69634437.html

Lynch says the same thing:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?&entry_id=51097

I like the reasoning except for #5. That's a pathetic reason to do it. It's almost like giving up.

If the original philosophy was not working, why stay with it??

Originally posted by Digger25:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by Digger25:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
great idea. lets put smith in the shotgun more often than not so passrushers can get use to him being in the same spot. yup make it happen. without consistent Oline play its not going to matter who they put back there, theyre going to end up road kill anyway.

theyll put up some points probably not enough but theyll score

your argument doesn't make much sense. read reason number 2. smith is more comfortable in a spread offense. he can read the defense better, and get the ball out quicker. we would not have to worry about the OL holding their blocks for a longer time. just because he is in shotgun, doesn't mean we will throw 100% of the time. screens, draws and the likes will keep the defense somewhat honest.

do you really think it going to work out like that?

work out like what? like peyyton and the colts? no! but i can say that it is worth a shot and it plays to alex's strengths. most importantly (IMHO) it may help our horrible OL play. less time to hold blocks-you know? i can't say that it'll work wonders like some magic snake oil sold at carnivals, but why not try and see what happens.

yeah its worth a shot a limited controlled shot you might have a lot more faith in this line than i do because i see them fold more often then not. as for smith goes hes gotta prove that he can lead this team and win some games. he still looks like a student driver to me, his ride has some cool extras but its a salvage title with a bad frame. i hope im wrong i really really do. i want to see this team win as much as everybody else here. the play of the oline makes or breaks the offense, it can help instill confidence in the qb or periodically drown him. imho it would be a mistake to have him in the spread the majority of the time because the oline gets a vote of no confidence.
Great Article by Glenn Dickey. Basically, he says that there are two types of successful coaches: Those that come in with a philosophy and get the players to run that system. And there are coaches who adapt to their team.

According to Dickey, it looks like Sing falls into the second camp. He then goes on to lay out all the reason the spread is perfect for the 49ers:

3. Poor run blocking. RBs have more room when running out of the spread -- Gore had a great game (5.5yds/carry)

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sports/Dickey-Spread-offense-is-the-only-solution-for-Niners-69634437.html

your 100% right. the only problem is it's not like a lightswitch you cannot just say ok our entire plan is scrapped let's pick a new one.

the players are not robots and this is not PS3.

it takes time to change systems that's part of the reason our O has sucked for years is we change OC's every single freaking year.
I sense The Obsessors are going to be here soon!
Originally posted by kidash:
Originally posted by FourNine49:

I like the reasoning except for #5. That's a pathetic reason to do it. It's almost like giving up.

If the original philosophy was not working, why stay with it??

Oh don't get me wrong, I want a change as well, but that reasoning isn't good enough for me. Change for points #1-4 are reasonable.
OMG!

Terrible idea! Alex Smith makes way too many mistakes when he has to throw a lot. Guaranteed 2 INT's or more every single f-ing game!
Originally posted by MadMartz:
If we spread it out we need to start throwing deep. We dont take enough shots down the field with go routes as much as id like to see. Nothing can change a defense faster than a couple 50 yd bombs down the field. Even if they are incomplete it still sends a message and backs them up a lil. That in turn helps open up the short to intermediate passing game and the run.

With the love the offenses get and the PI rules there's a good chance it would result in positive yardage.Why not run some no huddle too?
How often have we ran the spread
and out of those times how many times have we scored

Great read. Glenn Dickey is an OG. Too bad this will never happen.
Originally posted by Method:
THROW IT DEEP YOU f**kERS!!! DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
...when we go for the spread offense!
Share 49ersWebzone