LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

Singletary: 'Offense is in Transition'

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Quote:
"I like the things that work," Singletary said. "I don't get into a 'look' or whatever. I look at, how does it fit with our personnel? It's something that we have the tools to do."

Singletary added that the 49ers might want to add more to their shotgun attack and cut back on "some of the other things we're doing."

“We made improvement and there were areas of the game Sunday that the play was exceptional, was outstanding,” Raye said. “But it’s very difficult to overcome four turnovers. We were five-for-five in the red zone, three touchdowns and two field goals. We had a 19-play drive that overcame three or four penalties and a negative that went down and got points. laying area was very good. Without the turnovers, it would have been a different outcome."

http://sfo.scout.com/2/918280.html

Couple of points.

1. Singletary's #1 priority is winning. Philosophically, he believes that the best way to win is to control the clock and play defense. But through half a season, the O-line has proved that they cannot implement a power running game. So, Singletary is ADMITTINGLY switching to a philosophy best-suited for our skillsets, against his own instincts. GREAT NEWS!

2. The offense will continue to expand as Alex gets more and more comfortable. We may be running a College-type spread offense by the end of the year.

3. We are extremely explosive in the red zone.
Your posts makes a lot of sense.

....We dont take too kindly to that kind of stuff around here.

• hcniner64
  • Info N/A
I think singletary always wanted to win and didnt really care how he got it done. For some reason people around here think that singletary is some rigid stubborn person who will not change his beliefs no matter what. The bottom line is singletary wants to win and if that means running a spread option or wildcat, or shotgun, or the wing T he will do it. People get caught up on his demeanor too much and think that he will not change, I think this is a mistake because he wants to win and while he may have the idea that a succesfull running game is needed to win in the nfl (which last time I checked it is) it is not about running the ball every play and singletary has always said that. You are seeing the offense start to open up and you will continue to see it evolve as the year progresses. By the end of the year we will be in the top 15 of nfl offenses just wait and all you negative nancy's can go away. I dont know if we will make the playoffs, but the rest of our schedule is still relatively easy. We already beat the cards, the packers seem very beatable and the eagles lost to the raiders so you never know. People need to just relax round here because it is not over, our offense will progress smith will show he will be our qb of the future, and even if we do not make the playoffs this year we will be in excelent shape to do so with being able to sure up our offensive line and other trouble spots in the draft next year.
Originally posted by hcniner64:
I think singletary always wanted to win and didnt really care how he got it done. For some reason people around here think that singletary is some rigid stubborn person who will not change his beliefs no matter what. The bottom line is singletary wants to win and if that means running a spread option or wildcat, or shotgun, or the wing T he will do it. People get caught up on his demeanor too much and think that he will not change, I think this is a mistake because he wants to win and while he may have the idea that a succesfull running game is needed to win in the nfl (which last time I checked it is) it is not about running the ball every play and singletary has always said that. You are seeing the offense start to open up and you will continue to see it evolve as the year progresses. By the end of the year we will be in the top 15 of nfl offenses just wait and all you negative nancy's can go away. I dont know if we will make the playoffs, but the rest of our schedule is still relatively easy. We already beat the cards, the packers seem very beatable and the eagles lost to the raiders so you never know. People need to just relax round here because it is not over, our offense will progress smith will show he will be our qb of the future, and even if we do not make the playoffs this year we will be in excelent shape to do so with being able to sure up our offensive line and other trouble spots in the draft next year.

I agree with you on all points. Sing isn't stubborn, but it did take him 5 1/2 games to finally come to the conclusion that this team is incapable of running the offense they installed in the offeseason.

He should have switched during the Atlanta game, that way he would have had 2 weeks to install the spread w/ Smith. During the Atlanta game, Smith had his helmet on and I was sure he was going in. I think that Sing thought about it, but hesitated. Then, when the offense struggled again (WITH Gore back) vs. Houston, he knew exactly what to do.
I'm so glad we have Singletary as a coach. He is not afraid to do what it takes to make this team a winner & use it talents!
'BOUT TIME!
Originally posted by tohara3:
I'm so glad we have Singletary as a coach. He is not afraid to do what it takes to make this team a winner & use it talents!

Exactly.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

3. We are extremely explosive in the red zone.

VD.
It's Smith's fault!
Share 49ersWebzone