LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 153 users in the forums

Are we the worst O-Line in Football?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
According to FootballOutsiders.com, really the only place to get O-line stats, we're the 2nd worst.

In run blocking, we're 31st in the NFL, with 3.22 adjusted line-yards per carry -- only 0.01 higher than KC.

In pass blocking, we're 29th in the NFL, allowing (adjusted for opponents' pass rush strength and situation) a sack on 10% of pass plays. Green Bay is the worst at 11.7%.

If you combine the rankings for overall run and pass blocking, we're tied for the worst o-line in the NFL w/ KC.

In run-blocking sub-categories, we're 29th in the NFL between the tackles, 31st off right tackle, 31st off right end, 32nd off left tackle, and 7th off left end; all these stats are adjusted line yards, so big runs don't count.

These running subcategories reflect Sigletary's cognitive dissonance in regards to the running game. We run in-between the tackles 72% of the time, more than any other team (tied w/ JAX), yet we continue to do so despite failure.

On the bright side, I think that the coaching staff has finally realized how terrible the O-line is run blocking inside and started implementing these pitch-out plays to gore that were very successful vs. TEN.

I think that the pass-blocking will improve with continuity as the season progresses -- pass-blocking is hevily dependant on a unit playing together. However, hope for the run blocking game is dim. Perhaps some draw plays will help.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
I think you already answered the question.

And, if we aren't in synch pass blocking after 8 games, you'd have to say that it is talent, coaching, smarts and execution at this point and not just the lack of chemistry.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Nope

Ranked 26th in the league

nfl.com
We are bad. Whats funny to me is, if we had a decent o-line, we would be 5-3 easily and we would have less "The world is crashing" fans.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by miked1978:
We are bad. Whats funny to me is, if we had a decent o-line, we would be 5-3 easily and we would have less "The world is crashing" fans.

wrong if we had less turnovers
No matter how you parse the numbers, it's not a pretty picture. Our O-Line needs a makeover from top to bottom, starting with the OL Coach...

I sure hope this off season we will make this the TOP priority.
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

wrong if we had less turnovers

Not really because we would be throwing less.
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Nope

Ranked 26th in the league

nfl.com

Its based on sack % -- percent of pass plays that end in a sack.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
No matter how you parse the numbers, it's not a pretty picture. Our O-Line needs a makeover from top to bottom, starting with the OL Coach...

I sure hope this off season we will make this the TOP priority.

I thought the GM didn't believe in acquiring quality guards. That's why Justin Smiley is a Dolphin, right?
Player for player we are not the worst talent wise, just consistent wise.

Actually, we've probably lost more games to sloppy secondary play vs. the deep ball more than we've lost to O-line play:

Minnesota, Atlanta, Houston, and Tennessee.
Originally posted by NINERFORLIFE12:
Player for player we are not the worst talent wise, just consistent wise.

Really? There are only two 'talented' linemen on our team: Staley and Heitmann. The rest are scrubs or busts -- although it is too early to label Chilo a bust.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Actually, we've probably lost more games to sloppy secondary play vs. the deep ball more than we've lost to O-line play:

Good points seems nobody never wants to put any blame on the defense aswell. They can stop the other team.

And Niners o line is easily in the discussion as one of the worst o line's.
Originally posted by lamontb:

Good points seems nobody never wants to put any blame on the defense aswell. They can stop the other team.

I think that the secondary is an easy fix in the offseason: sign a decent cover corner and move Clements to safety. He'd make a great safety -- Carlos Rogers could be a good, affordable fit @ CB.

As for the O-Line, we should draft 3 or 4 linemen the first 4 rounds of the draft. That will give us massive depth on the line and the competition will make us immediately better. Plus, by drafting that many linemen your odds of successfully drafting a star is high.
Originally posted by lamontb:

I think that the secondary is an easy fix in the offseason: sign a decent cover corner and move Clements to safety. He'd make a great safety -- Carlos Rogers could be a good, affordable fit @ CB.

As for the O-Line, we should draft 3 or 4 linemen the first 4 rounds of the draft. That will give us massive depth on the line and the competition will make us immediately better. Plus, by drafting that many linemen your odds of successfully drafting a star is high.

This kind of does it for me, plus it still leave a spare pick which can be used fairly early for a pass rusher.
Share 49ersWebzone