There are 268 users in the forums

MUST throw the ball deep down the sidelines.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Turn this (49ers OL)

Into

This

Then we should be able to throw deep down the field.

best image analogies for the OLine I have seen

This.

Not enough time from the O LINE.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Turn this (49ers OL)

Into

This

Then we should be able to throw deep down the field.

LOL. So true.

-9fA
I'm down to go deep.

[ Edited by YourHuckleberry on Nov 10, 2009 at 20:35:53 ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Where's Larry Johnson when you need him?
Originally posted by B650:

Or Mike Vick!

how long do you think his gay slurs would fly in Frisco? I'm just saying..
Since we can't block, why aren't we trying QB roll outs? Could buy more time.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

Hearst didn't seem to have a problem. You offend a bunch of gay people, what are they going to do? Put rainbow flags in your lawn? Scary.

Hearst didn't seem to have a problem. You offend a bunch of gay people, what are they going to do? Put rainbow flags in your lawn? Scary.

They will sic Rosie on you.
I don't know if you guys are aware of it, but we are playing the Bears, a team that plays strictly a cover 2. You can't go 'deep down the sidelines on a cover 2 because there will be a safety waiting on top if you do.

The way to beat the cover 2 is down the seams (hashmarks) and behind the MLB. Urlacher is not playing so the way to beat a cover 2 is with a fast TE (to attack the middle) or a good slot WR (to attack the seams). Another good way to go against a cover 2 is to run it. Since there will be two safeties back, there should be seven defenders (in the 4-3) and seven blockers (5 oline, TE, FB) so the Gore should be on the second level by the time he's tackled.

You can't just make a sweeping generalization that we should 'throw the ball deep'. You have to know the scheme of the team you are playing and know how to beat it.

Originally posted by geturembedder:

They will sic Rosie on you.

Uhhhh Wow who cares if the guy would benefit the team go ahead and sign him we need all the help we can get.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
I don't know if you guys are aware of it, but we are playing the Bears, a team that plays strictly a cover 2. You can't go 'deep down the sidelines on a cover 2 because there will be a safety waiting on top if you do.

The way to beat the cover 2 is down the seams (hashmarks) and behind the MLB. Urlacher is not playing so the way to beat a cover 2 is with a fast TE (to attack the middle) or a good slot WR (to attack the seams). Another good way to go against a cover 2 is to run it. Since there will be two safeties back, there should be seven defenders (in the 4-3) and seven blockers (5 oline, TE, FB) so the Gore should be on the second level by the time he's tackled.

You can't just make a sweeping generalization that we should 'throw the ball deep'. You have to know the scheme of the team you are playing and know how to beat it.

You have a point, but are you saying that no team that uses the Cover 2 has ever been beat deep, ever?

Then the following week we play a team with good safeties, so we can't go deep either. Screw it. Let's just not throw deep the entire season. I don't think you can think this way. I mean, I don't think the entire game plan should be to throw deep down the sidelines, but I don't think it's a bad idea once in a while. Even if it doesn't work, at least it gives the defense another thing to think about. I don't even remember the last time we attempted a deep pass to one of our WRs.

Plus, LBs and DBs bite on play-actions sometimes, regardless of what scheme they're using.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Aaron Rodgers is getting sacked more than our Qb and they take there shots deep down the field, that is why Greenbay is always in the game.
Originally posted by 49erJONNY650:
Look. lets not get confused and get the facts straight first. Protection for long plays with this team is few and far between. but the simple truth is that when it is there, we are not keeping the defense honest at any given point. which is why a chris hope, can just hang around, 10 yards off the line of scrimmage reading alex like hawk, cause the thought of the pass over his head is really not there, and hasnt been for any defense all season.

its imperative we find out who the REAL young play makers are on this team, these wideouts have seen a lot of 1 on 1 coverages and yet have failed to really gain separation by the simplicity of the the routes themselves. let a crabtree, a morgan, hill, jones, go up for a JUMP ball 20 40 yards down the sideline. there is only 4 things that can happen in all actuality.

1. you throw the deep ball and its picked - most of the time the corner is tackled immediately following the pick, resulting in nothing more than a punt field position wise.

2. you throw the deep ball and its caught down field - big play, momentum changer, defensive moral breakdown.

3. you throw the deep ball - and get the pass interference. spot foul, first down, again, defensive moral breaker.

and of course the simple incomplete pass. we really need to keep the d honest and find out exactlyu what the outside talent on this team is really about..

Or its randomly volleyed 20 feet into the air, caught by a defender, and returned for a good chunk of yardage. It only happened 2x vs TEN.
Share 49ersWebzone