There are 180 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Singletary is All in with Smith

Originally posted by Digger25:
Originally posted by 9ermj:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by backontop:
I have already stated that Smith was responsible for 1 of the 3 INT's the other 2 were on the WR's. Looks like Singletary agrees

Why were they on the receivers? If he would have thrown the ball to them ON TIME and ACCURATELY they would have caught those!

See this is what I'm talking about ,Hall of Famer Singletary says they were on the receivers and Hall Of Fame TV viewer says he's wrong, I didn't watch the film so I can't make that call and even if I did , I'm not qualified

general rule of thumb: if it touches the receivers hand's, it is a catchable ball.

now, the debate maybe that the ball was thrown late or the ball took too much time getting to the receiver (allowing defender to come up and make a play).

i say smith was late on the throw to morgan, but morgan should have caught it. i also say that the ball to crabs took too long to get to him and allowed the defenders to make a play on the ball. BUT crabs could have also made a play to catch it.

No way. Crabtree was out of his break moving away from the ball. He had no chance to shield Griffin from the ball. All Alex on that 1.
I have already stated that Smith was responsible for 1 of the 3 INT's the other 2 were on the WR's. Looks like Singletary agrees

Why were they on the receivers? If he would have thrown the ball to them ON TIME and ACCURATELY they would have caught those!

Ummmm nobody stated that they were directly on anybody.

I mean that INT off Crabtree was weird. Crabtree and the ball were leaving the field. Instead it hit his hands and bounced back. You can't blame that on a timing issue or the Receiver for making a play on it going out of bounds. It's a freak turnover.

But now that you mention it when the ball hits you in the hands you have to reel it in. Morgan didn't do that. The ball hit him in the hands. So while it's Alex's fault Morgan has to work on his skills. Cause that hit a halfway solid Receiver in the hands and it's a catch.

The PI at the end of the game we ALL know that wasn't Alex's fault since the DB hit the Receiver before the ball got there.

Alex needs to work on his delivery to be certain. There were definitely a few passes where he was trying to force things, but I think that he'll get through that. The Receivers however have to contribute to this. Drops are part of the game but if they can work to limit that, whoever is Under Center will be better for it.

If Jerry didn't make catches that he knew he SHOULD make he would stay and work on it long after the others went home. That's how great Receivers become great.

~Ceadder
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Ummmm nobody stated that they were directly on anybody.

I mean that INT off Crabtree was weird. Crabtree and the ball were leaving the field. Instead it hit his hands and bounced back. You can't blame that on a timing issue or the Receiver for making a play on it going out of bounds. It's a freak turnover.

But now that you mention it when the ball hits you in the hands you have to reel it in. Morgan didn't do that. The ball hit him in the hands. So while it's Alex's fault Morgan has to work on his skills. Cause that hit a halfway solid Receiver in the hands and it's a catch.

The PI at the end of the game we ALL know that wasn't Alex's fault since the DB hit the Receiver before the ball got there.

Alex needs to work on his delivery to be certain. There were definitely a few passes where he was trying to force things, but I think that he'll get through that. The Receivers however have to contribute to this. Drops are part of the game but if they can work to limit that, whoever is Under Center will be better for it.

If Jerry didn't make catches that he knew he SHOULD make he would stay and work on it long after the others went home. That's how great Receivers become great.

~Ceadder

I'm an Alex supporter, but the INT he threw that was intended for Crabtree was indeed his fault. Crabtree was well covered and the ball was delivered late. When you make that throw, there's a good possibility of something bad happening, so it's better not to even try to begin with. The INT was a result of a poor decision and bad timing. Yes, the ball hit off a helmet, which was a fluke, but the ball could've been intercepted by the defender in the first place. It didn't have to be tipped. This one was definitely Alex's fault.

The 2nd INT was Alex Smith locking in on his WR and again, throwing the ball into tight coverage. I'd put most of the blame on Alex. Seemed like a bad decision.

The INT to Morgan wasn't all Alex's fault. There was single coverage and Alex gunned the ball in there. Morgan didn't really give much of an effort and the ball ended up being tipped and intercepted again. I don't blame Smith for this one, although when you throw the ball into tight coverage over and over, you should expect bad things to happen.

The fumble was 50-50. Alex should secure the ball better, but the OL didn't do a very good job either.

Overall, I like Alex Smith's performance, but he has to make smarter decisions and cut down on turnovers.
Originally posted by B650:
I'm an Alex supporter, but the INT he threw that was intended for Crabtree was indeed his fault. Crabtree was well covered and the ball was delivered late. When you make that throw, there's a good possibility of something bad happening, so it's better not to even try to begin with. The INT was a result of a poor decision and bad timing. Yes, the ball hit off a helmet, which was a fluke, but the ball could've been intercepted by the defender in the first place. It didn't have to be tipped. This one was definitely Alex's fault.

The 2nd INT was Alex Smith locking in on his WR and again, throwing the ball into tight coverage. I'd put most of the blame on Alex. Seemed like a bad decision.

The INT to Morgan wasn't all Alex's fault. There was single coverage and Alex gunned the ball in there. Morgan didn't really give much of an effort and the ball ended up being tipped and intercepted again. I don't blame Smith for this one, although when you throw the ball into tight coverage over and over, you should expect bad things to happen.

The fumble was 50-50. Alex should secure the ball better, but the OL didn't do a very good job either.

Overall, I like Alex Smith's performance, but he has to make smarter decisions and cut down on turnovers.

To me the fumble was 100% on Snyder. Snyder let the defender get a clean look at Alex. Snyder wiffed so bad it was embarrassing. Alex sensed the pressure and moved left but it was unfortunate that as he was winding up to make a throw, he hit the defenders' helmet.

-9fA
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by BAD_AL:
I heard Singletary on KNBR this morning and he has hitched his cart to the A Smith Bandwagon for better or worse , he says Smith was responsible for 1 turnover, now I know what some of you are going to say , "what else is he supposed to say" etc , and while there is some truth to that he was pretty over the top in his defense and support of Smith, I don't pretend I know more than a coach, GM, Scout, so I guess if Singletary says he's ok who am I to dispute it, we'll see if he's right but it sure sounded like Smith going to be around for awhile.

Stupid decision.

Tie yourself, your players, your coaches and everyone else in your organization to a loser.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

At least TRY the the dude that looker great in preseason!!!!

I've lost a lot of RESPECT for Singletary with this one.

F--king moron.

I bet he loses sleep crying all night long knowing that you don't respect him for sticking with what he's got to work with. It is hilarious that you think you know better how to evaluate a player than a paid NFL coach...stick to your day job.

Well, I obviously DO know better. I saw the Alex Smith train wreck coming.

But I did think up an excuse for him (I really hope it's true).

He's not starting Davis because this is a short week. He didn't feel that it would be fair to Davis to insert him as the starter with only a couple days of practice.

He would like Davis to have at least a full week to prepare for his first game.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
What else is he supposed to say or do?

Of course he's not going to crucify his QB like Nolan did. He's not gonna fault all the picks on him. (even though it was his fault)

We have nobody else right now better than Alex, so might as well go with him.

EXACTLY. Nolan threw Alex under the bus and the fans went bonkers because the HC didn't back up the QB. Now that Sing has done the opposite, you're still going to give the HC crap for it? Nothing is ever good enough for the fans
I heard Singletary on KNBR this morning and he has hitched his cart to the A Smith Bandwagon for better or worse , he says Smith was responsible for 1 turnover, now I know what some of you are going to say , "what else is he supposed to say" etc , and while there is some truth to that he was pretty over the top in his defense and support of Smith, I don't pretend I know more than a coach, GM, Scout, so I guess if Singletary says he's ok who am I to dispute it, we'll see if he's right but it sure sounded like Smith going to be around for awhile.

Stupid decision.

Tie yourself, your players, your coaches and everyone else in your organization to a loser.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

F--king moron.

I bet he loses sleep crying all night long knowing that you don't respect him for sticking with what he's got to work with. It is hilarious that you think you know better how to evaluate a player than a paid NFL coach...stick to your day job.

He's not starting Davis because this is a short week. He didn't feel that it would be fair to Davis to insert him as the starter with only a couple days of practice.

Are you serious?
Does Coach Sing can coach?
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BHulman:

Stupid decision.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

F--king moron.

Are you serious?

^^

The effect crack has on the human brain.

Stupid decision.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

F--king moron.

LOL.
We had 25 first downs in a game for the first time in forever. Shaun Hill would need two, maybe 3 games to match that. Like others have said, 2 of 3 INTs were lucky/on the WR. We actually moved the ball well, and we need to remember that this was only Smith's 3rd game in two years. Of course, if he continues to make mistakes by the end of the year, its a problem. Right now, however, he's playing well. Shaun Hill played like s**t except the except for the 50 yarder to Bruce, last drive in Arizona, long FG drive vs. SEA, and our last TD drive vs. MIN. His last six quarters were abominations. Smith's first six quarters blew Hill's last six out of the water.
I don't think Sing goes "All in" with anyone, unless they are the best player on the roster. If he feels a player isn't performing and he feels that a player on the bench will play better than the current starter, the starter will be seeing the bench in a short time. Just look at Nate Clements. As it stands, I think Sing believes that Alex gives the team the best chance to win with the current QBs on the roster. Yeah, "best chance to win" is a cliche, but it's also the code he follows. Look how fast Crabtree got promoted over Morgan. I doubt Nate Davis is NFL ready yet and he is fine sitting on the bench unless we reach garbage time at the end of the season. At that time, maybe give him a shot and see what he can do but only if Smith turns into the JTO jr.

If the turnovers continue to add up over the next few weeks, maybe he puts Hill back in or gives Nate Davis a shot, but right now, Alex is getting his chance. He's not going to bench him after one turnover heavy game and he shouldn't either.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by BHulman:

Stupid decision.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

F--king moron.

Are you serious?

^^

The effect crack has on the human brain.

Nate Davis in??? Train wreck of Alex Smith?? I think your train of thought left the station long ago my friend.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Some of you geniuses should actually listen to what Sing said before proclaiming you "KNOW" what happened and who's at fault, do some of you really think you know more about football then Singletary, based on what?extensive couch time in front of the TV ? It's laughable to see what some of you come up with, sure I have an opinion on what goes on , but I have zero qualification to make any kind of real evaluation and neither do you
The difference in balls that touch receiver's hands and should be catchable depends on the WR...those who fight for the ball, like Jason Hill, Crabtree, and Vernon make most of them, or at least prevent picks. Morgan hasn't learned that, yet. Tipped balls count against the QB, but in many cases, are just as much the receiver's fault. I believe that's where Singletary's coming from. Part of it I'm sure is he doesn't want Alex thrown under the bus after just 2 1/2 games. Coach has to hang his hat on Alex...because he knows there's no future in "musical QB's" al la the Browns. I'm cool with it...now let's see if Alex improves and cuts down on the t.o.