LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 251 users in the forums

Alex Smith, 24th Best QB in the NFL (FootballOutsiders.com)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
There u go Smith lovers...suck on that

You're just butthurt because ALEX IS THE STARTER and there's nothing you can do about it

Being a hater must really suck...

Go Niners!
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by BAD_AL:
He's only rated that high because so many of the backups haven't played yet.

You do realize there are 32 teams in the league so he's played better than other starters in a few games after sitting for TWO YEARS.

Yes, I do know that there are 32 teams.

Here are the guys he's rated higher than:
J.Campbell
T.Edwards
K.Boller
M.Bulger
J.Delhomme
B.Quinn
R.Fitzpatrick
D.Culpepper
M.Sanchez
S.Hill
K.Collins
J.Johnson
M.Cassel
M.Stafford
D.Anderson
J.Russell

And he really is better than some of these guys.

But I'd take any one of those guys over Smith except for Russell , Boller, Delhomme and Fitzpatrick.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Alex Smith is the 31 Best QB in the NFL... in front of JaMarcus Russell.

That's something to cheer about.

Is that a joke?
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by King49er:
yay

Trying tp put some objective analysis into the Smith haters vs. Smith lovers quarrel.

Personally, I think that Smtih will continue to grow and Raye will continue to open up the offense as the season goes on. Smith will be a quality starter by year's end and will go into camp next year as the unchallenged starter.

Its do-or-die for him! He better show that he can win with the rest of this season or they better CUT HIS ASS!! I'm tired of the "he didn't get a fair shot" bulls**t excuse! He is getting his chance now and is 0-3 so far. How much time are we going to wait for him to "develop"??

Smith will improve as the season moves on, kind of like Garcia did in '99.

What if he doesn't though? Would you need to see another season with him as starter or how much more time do you think would be considered 'fair' before you say; 'You know what? He just isn't the answer, its time to move on'?

Our defense is ready to win now -- which was apparent before our entire secondary went on the IR. We're loaded @ WR, TE, & RB as well. All that talent would be wasted w/ a rookie QB w/ no O-line.

And the Ravens/Falcons/Jets model of putting a rookie QB in with a great defense fails in Frisco -- all those teams have stellar offensive lines.

Alex Smtih gives us the best opportunity to win through the 2011 season, any way you slice it.

The best course of action is to let him get more and more comfortable in there and open up the playbook more and more.

So one more year after this one huh?? Wow!

If before the 2005 season I would have told you that it would take 6 years before A. Smith would be able to take your team to the playoffs or begin to show promise as being the 49ers starting QB, would you have wanted him drafted?? Serious question?

I understand the injury, but s**t I see it as plenty of time for a guy to have mastered the mental aspect of the game just studying! There are 2 fundamental aspects of the game; Physical and mental. He has the physical part, no question about it. He is a superb athlete and looks great running around and thows a hell of a ball when he is accurate. But he is never going to be able to tie the two together WHILE UNDER GAME PRESSURE? In my opinion, No. He never. So I put the scenario back on to you;

If before the 2005 season I would have told you that it would take 6 years before A. Smith would be able to take your team to the playoffs or begin to show promise as being the 49ers starting QB, would you have wanted him drafted??

Compate Alex's Development with that of Eli Manning. Eli is surrounded w/ talent and still stugles for long stretches of time -- but shows flashes of brilliance.

Eli is in his 6th season.

I'd be happy as hell if Alex had the same "flashes of brilliance", even if he struggled twice as much! When was the last time Alex went to the playoffs?? Pro Bowl?? Super Bowl?? (If he even knows what that is)... Super Bowl MVP?? Common man!! Eli has a bad ankle and that's why he is struggling right now.

Major fail bro!

Giants = much more talented on offense than SF.

Eli = Much more talented on ANYTHING than Alex.
Share 49ersWebzone