LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

Alex Smith, 24th Best QB in the NFL (FootballOutsiders.com)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BAD_AL:
He's only rated that high because so many of the backups haven't played yet.

You do realize there are 32 teams in the league so he's played better than other starters in a few games after sitting for TWO YEARS.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by King49er:
yay

Trying tp put some objective analysis into the Smith haters vs. Smith lovers quarrel.

Personally, I think that Smtih will continue to grow and Raye will continue to open up the offense as the season goes on. Smith will be a quality starter by year's end and will go into camp next year as the unchallenged starter.

Its do-or-die for him! He better show that he can win with the rest of this season or they better CUT HIS ASS!! I'm tired of the "he didn't get a fair shot" bulls**t excuse! He is getting his chance now and is 0-3 so far. How much time are we going to wait for him to "develop"??

Smith will improve as the season moves on, kind of like Garcia did in '99.

What if he doesn't though? Would you need to see another season with him as starter or how much more time do you think would be considered 'fair' before you say; 'You know what? He just isn't the answer, its time to move on'?
yay

Trying tp put some objective analysis into the Smith haters vs. Smith lovers quarrel.

Personally, I think that Smtih will continue to grow and Raye will continue to open up the offense as the season goes on. Smith will be a quality starter by year's end and will go into camp next year as the unchallenged starter.

Its do-or-die for him! He better show that he can win with the rest of this season or they better CUT HIS ASS!! I'm tired of the "he didn't get a fair shot" bulls**t excuse! He is getting his chance now and is 0-3 so far. How much time are we going to wait for him to "develop"??

What if he doesn't though? Would you need to see another season with him as starter or how much more time do you think would be considered 'fair' before you say; 'You know what? He just isn't the answer, its time to move on'?

He hasn't played in two years and you guys are ready to dump our former 1st round pick because of his last game? Have you seen how Stafford played this year? He's thrown a crap load of picks. Should he be benched and driven out of the NFL?
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
I like FO.com and I think that their stats are interesting and accurate. Way better than their predictions. Most young QB's, and I would put Alex in that category because he missed 2 years, have good and bad weeks as they get gradually better. Eli Manning has won a Super Bowl and he still has bad weeks; in fact he's in a string of them right now. It would have been unrealistic to expect Alex to come off the bench and continue to play at the level that he did in his first 1 1/2 games. Hopefully, in fits and starts he will improve as the year progresses. If not, well, cut his ass in January, draft a new QB (or go with Nate), and start over. Starting over is also a crap shoot because unlike other positions, there is no correlation between where a QB goes in the draft and how he turns out.

Big Ben threw one of the worst picks (as far as reading the coverage) I've seen in a while last night. Happens to the best.

It's interesting, Alex is ranked 24th in FO.com DVOA, but to put it in perspective, McNabb is 25th and Cutler is 26th. On the other hand, Chad Henne is 17th, and he doesn't have a completion >15 yards yet.
Originally posted by BHulman:
yay

After a few weeks of the same players on O playing together, I have no doubt in my mind that this team will be tough to stop.

Unfortunately, it may be too late for this season, I guess we'll find out Thursday night, this will be his 4th week as our QB(3 starting), so we'll see.

Also, we have got to have the worst O-Line in the NFL for the amount of rising stars that we have at the skill positions, it's unreal and it's seriously needs to be addressed in the off-season.

I agree... Thursday is my B-day and I hope I'm celebrating by watching us whoop some ass instead of getting our ass kicked!

The o-line is s**tty and regardless of how good Crabs is, we should have drafted Oher.

No way, drafting Crabtree was very smart, we'll get "our Oher" in the next draft

One of the picks MUST be used on the O-Line and the second should be used to get a DL. We will get most value for our buck with the OL though cause I doubt a young DL can come in and make an immediate impact.

Makes sense but I wonder if they might not need to use both picks on O-linemen. Also, if Eric Berry is around (which I doubt he will be) he would be hard to pass on.

I think that we need depth ACROSS the O-Line. Maybe 3 of our first 4 picks on O-Linemen:

- 1 True OT (Can play LT and RT)
- 2 OT/OG 'flex' players

We can sign a cover corner (Carlos Rogers could be a good option) in FA and move Clements to Safety -- I think Clements could be a great safety.
I like FO.com and I think that their stats are interesting and accurate. Way better than their predictions. Most young QB's, and I would put Alex in that category because he missed 2 years, have good and bad weeks as they get gradually better. Eli Manning has won a Super Bowl and he still has bad weeks; in fact he's in a string of them right now. It would have been unrealistic to expect Alex to come off the bench and continue to play at the level that he did in his first 1 1/2 games. Hopefully, in fits and starts he will improve as the year progresses. If not, well, cut his ass in January, draft a new QB (or go with Nate), and start over. Starting over is also a crap shoot because unlike other positions, there is no correlation between where a QB goes in the draft and how he turns out.

Big Ben threw one of the worst picks (as far as reading the coverage) I've seen in a while last night. Happens to the best.

It's interesting, Alex is ranked 24th in FO.com DVOA, but to put it in perspective, McNabb is 25th and Cutler is 26th. On the other hand, Chad Henne is 17th, and he doesn't have a completion >15 yards yet.

Cutler is the King of garbage yards this year -- 370 vs. ARI, etc. Garbage yards and TDs when you're down by 24 don't count as much.

and you're wrong on Henne: He threw a game-winning 53 yard bomb to Ginn vs. the Jets. QB rating of 130 that week. Miami runs the ball so well that he is always facing 8-man fronts.

Cutler is the King of garbage yards this year -- 370 vs. ARI, etc. Garbage yards and TDs when you're down by 24 don't count as much.

and you're wrong on Henne: He threw a game-winning 53 yard bomb to Ginn vs. the Jets. QB rating of 130 that week. Miami runs the ball so well that he is always facing 8-man fronts.

Forgot about that. You're right.
# 6 one week. #24 another week.

lol, this is usually why people wait until the end of the season to evaluate where a player is, not after good game/bad game each week.
yay

Our defense is ready to win now -- which was apparent before our entire secondary went on the IR. We're loaded @ WR, TE, & RB as well. All that talent would be wasted w/ a rookie QB w/ no O-line.

And the Ravens/Falcons/Jets model of putting a rookie QB in with a great defense fails in Frisco -- all those teams have stellar offensive lines.

Alex Smtih gives us the best opportunity to win through the 2011 season, any way you slice it.

The best course of action is to let him get more and more comfortable in there and open up the playbook more and more.
Originally posted by valrod33:

Yes thats right people, God needs ur money.....

Originally posted by taney71:
yay

He hasn't played in two years and you guys are ready to dump our former 1st round pick because of his last game? Have you seen how Stafford played this year? He's thrown a crap load of picks. Should he be benched and driven out of the NFL?

Woa!!! What??? Where the hell do you begin to compare Stafford and Smith?? Smith has been in this league for a hell-of-a-lot longer than that kid and he HAD HIS CHANCE! Also, compare the guys around both?? Stafford's team is a joke, yet he still manages to light it up often. Our O-line sucks, but Smith has plenty of weapons on his side and a defense that gives him the ball more often.....

I'm sorry, but you just failed BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!! I respect the guys who are all over Smith's nutz and can come up with somewhat of a valid argument for him, but you??

...And I'm not responding to any reply that you may have on this!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
why do people care so much on what some crappy website says
yay

Woa!!! What??? Where the hell do you begin to compare Stafford and Smith?? Smith has been in this league for a hell-of-a-lot longer than that kid and he HAD HIS CHANCE! Also, compare the guys around both?? Stafford's team is a joke, yet he still manages to light it up often. Our O-line sucks, but Smith has plenty of weapons on his side and a defense that gives him the ball more often.....

I'm sorry, but you just failed BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!! I respect the guys who are all over Smith's nutz and can come up with somewhat of a valid argument for him, but you??

Smith had his chance??? really when was that? He had a horrible rookie year. Showed progress in 06 and started out 2-1 in 07 before being injured. Yup he had hs chance
yay

Our defense is ready to win now -- which was apparent before our entire secondary went on the IR. We're loaded @ WR, TE, & RB as well. All that talent would be wasted w/ a rookie QB w/ no O-line.

And the Ravens/Falcons/Jets model of putting a rookie QB in with a great defense fails in Frisco -- all those teams have stellar offensive lines.

Alex Smtih gives us the best opportunity to win through the 2011 season, any way you slice it.

The best course of action is to let him get more and more comfortable in there and open up the playbook more and more.

So one more year after this one huh?? Wow!

If before the 2005 season I would have told you that it would take 6 years before A. Smith would be able to take your team to the playoffs or begin to show promise as being the 49ers starting QB, would you have wanted him drafted?? Serious question?

I understand the injury, but s**t I see it as plenty of time for a guy to have mastered the mental aspect of the game just studying! There are 2 fundamental aspects of the game; Physical and mental. He has the physical part, no question about it. He is a superb athlete and looks great running around and thows a hell of a ball when he is accurate. But he is never going to be able to tie the two together WHILE UNDER GAME PRESSURE? In my opinion, No. He never. So I put the scenario back on to you;

If before the 2005 season I would have told you that it would take 6 years before A. Smith would be able to take your team to the playoffs or begin to show promise as being the 49ers starting QB, would you have wanted him drafted??
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by backontop:
yay

Smith had his chance??? really when was that? He had a horrible rookie year. Showed progress in 06 and started out 2-1 in 07 before being injured. Yup he had hs chance

It's mind numbing to hear this stuff , using this logic Eli Manning , Steve Young , Drew Brees, Bret Favre, John Elway the list goes on , all would be on the scrap heap because they were not very good their first few years. Let's review one more time 2005 11games not good, 2006 16 games better not great, 2007 3 games injured , if my math is right that' 30 games in 4 years on the team, this is his 5 yr in the league and he just passed 2 years worth of starts. I don't know if he'll ever be any good but some need to stop the revisionist history.
Share 49ersWebzone