LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

Alex Smith, 24th Best QB in the NFL (FootballOutsiders.com)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
yay

Trying tp put some objective analysis into the Smith haters vs. Smith lovers quarrel.

Personally, I think that Smtih will continue to grow and Raye will continue to open up the offense as the season goes on. Smith will be a quality starter by year's end and will go into camp next year as the unchallenged starter.

Its do-or-die for him! He better show that he can win with the rest of this season or they better CUT HIS ASS!! I'm tired of the "he didn't get a fair shot" bulls**t excuse! He is getting his chance now and is 0-3 so far. How much time are we going to wait for him to "develop"??

After a few weeks of the same players on O playing together, I have no doubt in my mind that this team will be tough to stop.

Unfortunately, it may be too late for this season, I guess we'll find out Thursday night, this will be his 4th week as our QB(3 starting), so we'll see.

Also, we have got to have the worst O-Line in the NFL for the amount of rising stars that we have at the skill positions, it's unreal and it's seriously needs to be addressed in the off-season.

I agree... Thursday is my B-day and I hope I'm celebrating by watching us whoop some ass instead of getting our ass kicked!

The o-line is s**tty and regardless of how good Crabs is, we should have drafted Oher.
yay

Trying tp put some objective analysis into the Smith haters vs. Smith lovers quarrel.

Personally, I think that Smtih will continue to grow and Raye will continue to open up the offense as the season goes on. Smith will be a quality starter by year's end and will go into camp next year as the unchallenged starter.

Its do-or-die for him! He better show that he can win with the rest of this season or they better CUT HIS ASS!! I'm tired of the "he didn't get a fair shot" bulls**t excuse! He is getting his chance now and is 0-3 so far. How much time are we going to wait for him to "develop"??

After a few weeks of the same players on O playing together, I have no doubt in my mind that this team will be tough to stop.

Unfortunately, it may be too late for this season, I guess we'll find out Thursday night, this will be his 4th week as our QB(3 starting), so we'll see.

Also, we have got to have the worst O-Line in the NFL for the amount of rising stars that we have at the skill positions, it's unreal and it's seriously needs to be addressed in the off-season.

I agree... Thursday is my B-day and I hope I'm celebrating by watching us whoop some ass instead of getting our ass kicked!

The o-line is s**tty and regardless of how good Crabs is, we should have drafted Oher.

We should have...next week Alex will be 32nd...
yay

No way, drafting Crabtree was very smart, we'll get "our Oher" in the next draft
I like FO.com and I think that their stats are interesting and accurate. Way better than their predictions. Most young QB's, and I would put Alex in that category because he missed 2 years, have good and bad weeks as they get gradually better. Eli Manning has won a Super Bowl and he still has bad weeks; in fact he's in a string of them right now. It would have been unrealistic to expect Alex to come off the bench and continue to play at the level that he did in his first 1 1/2 games. Hopefully, in fits and starts he will improve as the year progresses. If not, well, cut his ass in January, draft a new QB (or go with Nate), and start over. Starting over is also a crap shoot because unlike other positions, there is no correlation between where a QB goes in the draft and how he turns out.
yay

No way, drafting Crabtree was very smart, we'll get "our Oher" in the next draft

One of the picks MUST be used on the O-Line and the second should be used to get a DL. We will get most value for our buck with the OL though cause I doubt a young DL can come in and make an immediate impact.
yay

We'll see what happens by the end of the year. Still I'll be ready to listen or read why it's NEVER Smiths fault when he screws up! So start compiling your list!

Better yet, peruse the old threads and just copy and paste them, that way you can save on the typing.

[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Nov 10, 2009 at 13:40:00 ]
  • kansas49erfan
  • Info N/A
yay

I just don't care anymore... Alex Smith is the best option we have to win right now at QB.

Hopefully if our O can have the same players playing together for more than 2 weeks then maybe we can start making even more big plays.

Anyone who hasn't seen the talent level rise since Crabtree and Smith were inserted into the line up are either blind, or they do not watch the games.

This!
He's only rated that high because so many of the backups haven't played yet.
yay

One of the picks MUST be used on the O-Line and the second should be used to get a DL. We will get most value for our buck with the OL though cause I doubt a young DL can come in and make an immediate impact.

Makes sense but I wonder if they might not need to use both picks on O-linemen. Also, if Eric Berry is around (which I doubt he will be) he would be hard to pass on.
I just can't wait till Singletary blows up again really! This time on the field after another turnover.

I hope he chokes someone out while yelling at him "why do you suck"

Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by lamontb:
This is why i can't take this ranking seriously. how can you go from 6th to 24 with one bad performance. Is this based on the yearly stats or weekly?

average QB rating. He has started in 2 games so of course his rating will take a bigger hit than if he had started the entire year.

True but i had a problem with this stat last week alos Can't have a guy who played 6 quarters ranked number 6. I understand what the stat is trying to do it just isn't doign it effectively. Interesting to look at but I just dont' take it seriously

well with only starting 6 quarters he has less time against him so his QB Rating will be higher. That is the thing with statistics, you can bend them to say what ever you want. Like did you know that 93% of statistics are made up on the spot?
yay

YES.
yay

Smith will improve as the season moves on, kind of like Garcia did in '99.
yay

Agreed. I see marked improvement in the offensive unit as a whole every week, despite a decimated O-line.
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
I like FO.com and I think that their stats are interesting and accurate. Way better than their predictions. Most young QB's, and I would put Alex in that category because he missed 2 years, have good and bad weeks as they get gradually better. Eli Manning has won a Super Bowl and he still has bad weeks; in fact he's in a string of them right now. It would have been unrealistic to expect Alex to come off the bench and continue to play at the level that he did in his first 1 1/2 games. Hopefully, in fits and starts he will improve as the year progresses. If not, well, cut his ass in January, draft a new QB (or go with Nate), and start over. Starting over is also a crap shoot because unlike other positions, there is no correlation between where a QB goes in the draft and how he turns out.

Big Ben threw one of the worst picks (as far as reading the coverage) I've seen in a while last night. Happens to the best.
Share 49ersWebzone