LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

Bad Coaching

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • casadoba
  • Info N/A
Just some observations of some of the bad coahing decisions:

- The firing of Martz last year when what we needed was consistency on Offense and an offense that could score

- The hiring of OC Raye.

-- The release of Alan Rossem and replacement with B. Jones and M. Robinson. Rossem was one of the best returners in the league last year who gave us a scoring threat on ST.

- Believing we had an OL that could actually carry this team

- The " Smash mouth" type of football philosophy then to change to a shotgun spread type of offense in the Titians game with resulted in 4 turnovers. Tells me that the coaches really do not have an idea of what team they want to be
Originally posted by casadoba:
Just some observations of some of the bad coahing decisions:

- The firing of Martz last year when what we needed was consistency on Offense and an offense that could score

- The hiring of OC Raye.

-- The release of Alan Rossem and replacement with B. Jones and M. Robinson. Rossem was one of the best returners in the league last year who gave us a scoring threat on ST.

- Believing we had an OL that could actually carry this team

- The " Smash mouth" type of football philosophy then to change to a shotgun spread type of offense in the Titians game with resulted in 4 turnovers. Tells me that the coaches really do not have an idea of what team they want to be

If we didn't do that we'd have tons of people b***hing that all we do is run the ball. Oh yeah and I bet we don't score 27 points if we didn't spread the ball.
  • casadoba
  • Info N/A
- Also thebenching of J. Hill when he clearly is a playmaker on Offense.

- The non benching of Bruce when its clear that he is in the twilight of his career

- The Acquisition of B. jones as our deep threat on offense and to not even use him. He is our second highest paid WR on the team and our FA pick up in the offseason that was supposed to make a difference.
  • casadoba
  • Info N/A
27 points. more like the titans wouldnt have scored 34 points due to us flinging the ball arounnd. Im not saying that going shotgun and spread is a bad thing but u cant over use it. Also, the last TD we scored was in garbage time so i wouldnt look at that 27 points like its really 27 points.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Let the man have a complete season before you run him out of town.
27 points. more like the titans wouldnt have scored 34 points due to us flinging the ball arounnd. Im not saying that going shotgun and spread is a bad thing but u cant over use it. Also, the last TD we scored was in garbage time so i wouldnt look at that 27 points like its really 27 points.

I wouldn't call the last TD "garbage time." The Niners could have recovered that onside kick and still had a chance to tie the game. Garbage time is when the game is mathematically out of hand and the other team just plays soft.
Martz was the worst thing that could have happened to the Niners. He took away one of the teams strengths which was Vernon Davis. Look at Vernon now without Martz's offense: Pro Bowler.
  • casadoba
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Martz was the worst thing that could have happened to the Niners. He took away one of the teams strengths which was Vernon Davis. Look at Vernon now without Martz's offense: Pro Bowler.

True Davis is putting up some numbers but that doesnt equal wins. VD's success in Rayes offense comes at the expense of our WR's that had better numbers in Martz offense. VD was used more as a blocker in Martz offense because in Martzs passing game u need to give th QB as much time as possible to look down field. Im glad VD is having a break out year but were still not winning games.

True Davis is putting up some numbers but that doesnt equal wins. VD's success in Rayes offense comes at the expense of our WR's that had better numbers in Martz offense. VD was used more as a blocker in Martz offense because in Martzs passing game u need to give th QB as much time as possible to look down field. Im glad VD is having a break out year but were still not winning games.

We weren't winning games with Martz either. But at least we've now got talent in the skill positions (Crabtree, Davis, Morgan, Gore) that we didn't have last year or in years past. I could only see the Niners getting better in this department.

Well, it wasn't like VD was doing that great before Martz. Let's no rewrite history here.

Originally posted by taney71:

Well, it wasn't like VD was doing that great before Martz. Let's no rewrite history here.

What are you talking about? Players need playing time to develop their skills. What I was saying was Martz hindered his development. Davis was getting better with his skills every game. I guess we can say that Martz helped Davis with his blocking skills...

What are you talking about? Players need playing time to develop their skills. What I was saying was Martz hindered his development. Davis was getting better with his skills every game. I guess we can say that Martz helped Davis with his blocking skills...

I'm saying VD wasn't yet a weapon so its not like Martz took a proven passing force out of the lineup.
Originally posted by susweel:

three seasons, at least three seasons.

I'm saying VD wasn't yet a weapon so its not like Martz took a proven passing force out of the lineup.

is this about VD, raye, martz, forrester......humm huh?
martz wasnt a good fit for this team. he wasnt trying to develop players or develop an offensive scheme around players. he was running his style of offense.
raye has progressively opened up the play book, with mixed results.
how this team evaluates, manages, drafts and coaches is what has to change

[ Edited by Allx9er on Nov 10, 2009 at 11:53:13 ]
  • NinersCluebat
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by susweel:

That is right. We can fire him at the end of the season.

Just start looking at possible replacements NOW.
Share 49ersWebzone