There are 127 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The 49ers Are STILL a Team in Transition - DEAL WITH IT

  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
Thank you....everybody seems so upset....but at the beginning of the year it was clear to me we where a 7-9 to 10-6 team give or take a game......but we will be much better next year with another for the players to Gel and build some consitancy.

i think the problem is that we are all getting sick of having to wait for "next year". We have been waiting for "next year" every year....

first it '06 then '07 then '08 and so on, it gets old, but we're all still here with comments and complaints so it seems hope keeps us coming back for more
Originally posted by NinerGM:


I did read the entire post, but if you think waiting 6 seasons and "demanding immediate wins" is the case, you've got to be kidding. I just don't see how waiting for the team to come around for 6 rebuilding season as immediate.

The key here is hope. So as much as you want to believe Nolan was completely in control, that's fine. However, Scotty had to have known the bar was high when he took over and what did do?

Gamble of Marvel Smith which was a monumental failure. Why? Because it generated this false sense that the OL was "okay" and that it had "depth". Why was this a huge failing, because the main issue that has directly costs us wins have been the poor play by the OL, and now depth. This was followed by signing oft-injured Brandon Jones who can't even get on the field - and even if Bruce was coming on, Jones still gets beat out by the oft-penalized Josh Morgan, because our base formation is 2WR, 2TE.

I know you don't like to "focus on the past" but those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. It's like that movie Groundhog Day - just every season. So Scott has two #1 draft picks. He has yet to prove he knows what to do with one, let alone two.

At least with a new regime I have hope that they will certainly take a different direction instead of what's been followed previously. I try to learn from my mistakes, try to learn from history. The reason why I'm done now because in February I saw this coming and I said "so goes the OL, so goes the 49ers season." I hammered on the Marvel Smith signing because it was very sketchy. And then when Adam Snyder declares he could start, I laughed because it's been proven in previous years that Snyder is a good bench player. But no, we said "good enough" just like Nolan had done in years past.

I didn't see a significant change in the personnel decisions in the off-season that made me believe now that Scott has "total control" that their would be a different approach.

I'm sorry dude, but where the team is currently, the GM has completely lost my trust.

I get it, GM. I think I have said that through out my posts, acknowledging your points and agreeing with some. I don't view it like you do obviously. I respect your posts and that's why I participate in dialogue.

I know you have lost trust in McC, completely.

I haven't and still support him.

That's why I said at the end of my last post, we disagree fundamentally.

Again, that's OK.
Yeah we are still a team in transition ------ what the hell has it been now about five years with a mediocre offensive line that can't pass protect and absolutely no f#$king pass rush.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Let's review shall we? Those of you who have been waiting, let's walk through how we got here because it wasn't overnight. Let's review why there are some fans who are frustrated beyond this season and are expecting more from the 49ers because we know it goes well before this season. Not all of us are "knee-jerk" fans who expected all of this to be resolved in one off season. I think most fans start with 2005 as the "rebuild" and are tired of being told that we want immediate results. So here's my question: how much time do you need? Just let us know. 5 seasons, 6? 7? 10? Tell us the average time it takes to rebuild a team from scratch in the NFL and provide some examples.

2005 - 4-12

Granted. Really bad terrible team.

2006 7-9

Soon after the end of the 2005 season, Mike McCarthy, the 49ers' offensive coordinator of one year, left for the Green Bay Packers. On January 17, 2006, the 49ers hired Norv Turner as McCarthy's replacement. Whereas McCarthy based the majority of his offense on Bill Walsh's West Coast Offense, Turner has been known to use a power running scheme and vertical passing game more often than the West Coast scheme. Turner came to the 49ers after two unsuccessful seasons as the head coach of the 49ers' crossbay rivals, the Oakland Raiders.

The 49ers gained the 6th pick in the 2006 NFL Draft after winning a coin toss with the Oakland Raiders at the scouting combine in Indianapolis. The 49ers used their first pick on Maryland Tight End Vernon Davis. They then used their next pick (acquired from the Denver Broncos via the Washington Redskins) on North Carolina St. Defensive End Manny Lawson. The rest of their picks were Wisconsin Wide Receiver Brandon Williams, Penn St. RB Michael Robinson, Tennessee DE Parys Haralson, Central Missouri St. Wide Receiver Delanie Walker, North Carolina St. Safety Marcus Hudson, Louisiana St. DE Melvin Oliver, and Arkansas Safety Vickiel Vaughn.

The 49ers had two major free agent acquisitions in the off season. Larry Allen, a perennial Pro Bowl left guard from the Dallas Cowboys, and Antonio Bryant, a talented but oft-troubled wide receiver from the Cleveland Browns. The 49ers also traded Kevan Barlow to the New York Jets for what is believed to be a 2007 4th round draft pick.

2007 5- 11

Free agency

The 49ers addressed their problems in the secondary with the signing of veteran cornerback Nate Clements from the Buffalo Bills. The contract was worth $80 million for 8 years, the largest contract given to a defensive player in NFL history. They also signed strong safety Michael Lewis from Philadelphia on the same day. Other key defensive pickups included linebackers Colby Bockwoldt and Tully Banta-Cain and nosetackle Aubrayo Franklin. The team also addressed its wide-receiver needs by signing former Denver Bronco and Atlanta Falcon, Ashley Lelie and Seattle Seahawk, Darrell Jackson. San Francisco also used the free agency period to extend Gore's contract to 4 years worth $28 million, $14 million of which is guaranteed.
[edit] Draft

In the 2007 NFL draft, they addressed their need for an inside linebacker by picking Patrick Willis in the first round and also gave up their 2008 first round pick to the New England Patriots and selected 28 overall Offensive Tackle Joe Staley. In the 2nd round the 49ers traded their pick for the Colts' number one pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. On the second day of the NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers traded a 4th round pick for Seattle Seahawks leading receiver, Darrell Jackson.

2008 7-9

Despite a disappointing season in 2007, Mike Nolan was retained as head coach. With the 49ers offense struggling the previous season, offensive coordinator Jim Hostler was fired and replaced by Mike Martz. In addition, Scot McCloughan was promoted from vice president of player personnel to general manager. Mike Nolan was fired after a 29-17 loss to the New York Giants in Week 8.

Signings

Pos. Player Free Agent Type 2007 Team Contract
WR Isaac Bruce Released St. Louis Rams 2 years, $6 million [1]
RB DeShaun Foster Released Carolina Panthers 2 years, $1.8 million [1]
LB Roderick Green UFA San Francisco 49ers 1 year
QB Shaun Hill UFA San Francisco 49ers 3 years, $6 million [2]
WR Bryant Johnson UFA Arizona Cardinals 1 year [3]
QB J. T. O'Sullivan UFA Detroit Lions 1 year, $645,000 [1]
CB Allen Rossum Released Pittsburgh Steelers 1 year, $870,000 [1]
DE Justin Smith UFA Cincinnati Bengals 6 years, $45 million [4]
DT Isaac Sopoaga UFA San Francisco 49ers 5 years, $20 million [5]
CB Donald Strickland UFA San Francisco 49ers 1 year, $800,000 [6]
LB Dontarrious Thomas UFA Minnesota Vikings 2 years [1]

Draft

1 29 DT Kentwan Balmer North Carolina Pick from the Indianapolis Colts
2 39 G Chilo Rachal USC
3 75 CB Reggie Smith Oklahoma Swapped picks with Chicago Bears due to tampering
4 107 C Cody Wallace Texas A&M
5 --- --- --- --- Forfeited due to tampering
6 174 WR Josh Morgan Virginia Tech
7 214 LB Larry Grant Ohio State

2009 Currently 3-5

he 49ers released Mike Martz on December 30, 2008. One day following the firing of Martz, the 49ers released quarterbacks coach Ted Tollner and running backs coach Tony Nathan. "To get where we needed to go, I felt those decisions needed to be made at this time," said Mike Singletary.[4] Tony Nathan's replacement came on January 7, 2009 when former 49ers' fullback Tom Rathman agreed to become the new running backs coach.[5]

Before the 49ers found a new quarterbacks coach, they introduced two new coaching positions on January 12, 2009. Mike Singletary's nephew Vantz Singletary became the 49ers' inside linebackers coach, while Al Harris was signed as the 49ers' pass rush specialist coach.[6]

One month after the firing of Martz, Jimmy Raye was finally hired as offensive coordinator, making him the seventh offensive coordinator in seven years for the 49ers. Along with the hiring of Raye, Ted Tollner's replacement Mike Johnson was signed as the 49ers' quarterback coach.[7]

The 49ers' next coaching addition would be Jason Michael as an offensive assistant on March 6, 2009.[8]

Draft

Michael Crabtree
2 Traded Traded to the Carolina Panthers
Glen Coffee
4 Traded Traded to the Carolina Panthers
Scott McKillop
Nate Davis
Bear Pascoe Compensatory Pick
Curtis Taylor
Ricky Jean-Francois Compensatory Pick

FA

Marvel Smith
Brandon Jones
Demetric Evans
Dre Bly
Tony Pashos

*Special thanks to Wikipedia and Ninernation

This pretty much sums up our journey over the last 4 and a half years. With all rebuilding teams, you need a strong front office, scouting, excellent drafts, possibly good free agent signings, and in some cases, a little luck.

A few of the rebuilding jobs that have taken place this decade included San Diego, Atlanta, New Orleans, and the New York Giants. In all of the aforementioned cases, the teams drafted a good QB. And in one case (San Diego), the Chargers went out a drafted another QB with their top pick after Brees third season, and by that time, he had produced about as much, if not more than Alex Smith. I'm not saying they should've thrown in the towel on Alex Smith in '07 or '08. But maybe they should have made some kind of move around that time as an insurance policy, in the event the QB situation did not pan out. The Chargers drafted Rivers as their insurance policy. We drafted no one until this season and signed JT O'Sullivan.

Our drafts have been ok overall, but our biggest problem is that we haven't selected too many game-changers/game breakers. And unfortunately, when given the opportunity to bring in those types of players, we have passed on them.

The final ingredient we are missing is quality coaching. Player development has been severely lacking for the better part of 5 years. But we have to remember, although Singletary was a part of the regime, he was not the head. So it isn't fair to lay the blame of our failures since 2005 at his feet.

With all that being said, we're headed in the right direction and can still finish 8-8/9-7 which is what most realistic fans predicted all along.

BTW, in defense of Scotty, I believe he did attempt to address the pash rush need in 2007 by signing Adalius Thomas. He decided he wanted to play on the east coast, so he never had a chance. As for the draft, how many world beaters have been drafted in the 2nd-7th rounds in the last 4 years that would've addressed this problem? I didn't count the 1st round because off of the top of my head, I don't think any have stood out that we actually had a chance to draft.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
[

BTW, in defense of Scotty, I believe he did attempt to address the pash rush need in 2007 by signing Adalius Thomas. He decided he wanted to play on the east coast, so he never had a chance. As for the draft, how many world beaters have been drafted in the 2nd-7th rounds in the last 4 years that would've addressed this problem? I didn't count the 1st round because off of the top of my head, I don't think any have stood out that we actually had a chance to draft.

Yeah bummer, and there wasn't anyone else possible in 2 drafts, 2 free-agencies and 2 off-seasons that we could have possibly gone after. But it's not just pass-rush is it, it's OL, it's safety. Baas, Rachal and Snyder can't play. Cody Wallace? Too raw. So that's 5 years of offensive linemen who suck. Only Larry Allen and Joe Staley was any good. Jennings was a waste and Marvel Smith was inexcusable. Yes Scot has done some good - yes I will agree, but the main unit that drives the offense and helps hide a inconsistent pass-rush has been an absolute failure. So this tends to nullify a QB, RB and WRs effectiveness. That' GM-ing 101. Or at least I thought.
good post. there are way too many people on here who think we are a playoff team. not yet.
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
Thank you....everybody seems so upset....but at the beginning of the year it was clear to me we where a 7-9 to 10-6 team give or take a game......but we will be much better next year with another for the players to Gel and build some consitancy.

i think the problem is that we are all getting sick of having to wait for "next year". We have been waiting for "next year" every year....

YES, but for those people out there that complain that it's been 7 years since being a playoff team, AND THEN argue that Singletary is an inept coach are just plain DUMB and INPATIENT. Yes Singletary isn't a perfect coach, but some people don't realize that he's a rookie HC. To him, all of this 7 years CRAP doesn't matter to him because he's only been here for a year. He can't do anything about what happened before him.

If people want to talk about the last 7 years, know this, Singletary is a better coach than the coaches in the past 7 years (Erickson and Nolan). The team is ALREADY better in his first year than it ever was in the past 7 years. Or course, the team isn't going to be perfect, but in due time, we will make the playoffs again.

JUST THINK ABOUT IT PEOPLE, if you followed this team for the past 7 years, you KNOW that this team has gotten a hell of a lot better. Now just because you know that, doesn't mean you get to have rocket-high expectations in the first year. We're improving, and that's all that matters to me.

We are 3-5...we are better than WHAT? The Raiders?

I think in fairness we are better than the Rams, Seahawks, lions, redskins, bills, browns, cheifs, and bucs. Plus we beat the Cardinals. Hopefully we'll be better than the bears on thursday and remain better than the lions and everyone we already beat. Then the playoffs are still possible. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
Originally posted by DrE_DiESeL97:
When was the last time a 49er team this decade was in a position to win games against a former Super Bowl champion like the Indianapolis Colts or a current favorite like the Minnesota Vikings?

It's been at least a decade -- but we're still not in that position.

I think a lot of fans like myself are upset because we're in the second run of "Back to the Future II" starring none other than Alex Smith.

For those of us who witnessed the great QB's that were John Brodie, Joe Montana and Steve Young -- this is a sequel we don't want to see.

We know what a good QB is. We know that person isn't Alex Smith. We see yet another lost season. We see no progress.

So, in a word, we're frustrated.

And, rather than shoot rubber darts at our cats, we come here to the Webzone to let off a little steam and rant.
I get everything you're saying, but it just gets old. You wait again and again for this team to take that next step and it never happens. It's just frustrating.
I agree & hope we make a very big step soon.
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
Originally posted by DrE_DiESeL97:
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
Yeah this is a team in transition. Eternal transition. Chalk that up to another lame excuse by the naive homer fans. Five years after hitting rock bottom this team is still getting outplayed and making dumbass mistakes week after week and losing games. If some of you want to be like sheep and accept it, fine. Go right ahead. But don't expect the entire fan base to be satisfied with the results on the field. Some of us have a higher standard and are fed up with 7 straight seasons of losing football. Close losses against better teams are still losses. Good teams win close games, bad teams lose close games. After 6 years of so-called transition we still only have moral victories to celebrate.

Bill Walsh's team took a COUPLE of years before anything started to work.

I'm sorry but Bill Walsh ran circles around Singletary in every aspect of coaching. Even in motivating the team. Comparing Singletary to Walsh is down right delusional. By his second year Walsh's team was showing flashes. Singletary's team has regressed since his interim first year.

Exactly right. We should be farther along the recovery road. And read the book "The Genius." Walsh was so far above Singletary, or any other coach, it's really not even fair to compare. Walsh probably could have run GE with the success Welch enjoyed.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Let's review shall we? Those of you who have been waiting, let's walk through how we got here because it wasn't overnight. Let's review why there are some fans who are frustrated beyond this season and are expecting more from the 49ers because we know it goes well before this season. Not all of us are "knee-jerk" fans who expected all of this to be resolved in one off season. I think most fans start with 2005 as the "rebuild" and are tired of being told that we want immediate results. So here's my question: how much time do you need? Just let us know. 5 seasons, 6? 7? 10? Tell us the average time it takes to rebuild a team from scratch in the NFL and provide some examples.

2005 - 4-12

Granted. Really bad terrible team.

2006 7-9

Soon after the end of the 2005 season, Mike McCarthy, the 49ers' offensive coordinator of one year, left for the Green Bay Packers. On January 17, 2006, the 49ers hired Norv Turner as McCarthy's replacement. Whereas McCarthy based the majority of his offense on Bill Walsh's West Coast Offense, Turner has been known to use a power running scheme and vertical passing game more often than the West Coast scheme. Turner came to the 49ers after two unsuccessful seasons as the head coach of the 49ers' crossbay rivals, the Oakland Raiders.

The 49ers gained the 6th pick in the 2006 NFL Draft after winning a coin toss with the Oakland Raiders at the scouting combine in Indianapolis. The 49ers used their first pick on Maryland Tight End Vernon Davis. They then used their next pick (acquired from the Denver Broncos via the Washington Redskins) on North Carolina St. Defensive End Manny Lawson. The rest of their picks were Wisconsin Wide Receiver Brandon Williams, Penn St. RB Michael Robinson, Tennessee DE Parys Haralson, Central Missouri St. Wide Receiver Delanie Walker, North Carolina St. Safety Marcus Hudson, Louisiana St. DE Melvin Oliver, and Arkansas Safety Vickiel Vaughn.

The 49ers had two major free agent acquisitions in the off season. Larry Allen, a perennial Pro Bowl left guard from the Dallas Cowboys, and Antonio Bryant, a talented but oft-troubled wide receiver from the Cleveland Browns. The 49ers also traded Kevan Barlow to the New York Jets for what is believed to be a 2007 4th round draft pick.

2007 5- 11

Free agency

The 49ers addressed their problems in the secondary with the signing of veteran cornerback Nate Clements from the Buffalo Bills. The contract was worth $80 million for 8 years, the largest contract given to a defensive player in NFL history. They also signed strong safety Michael Lewis from Philadelphia on the same day. Other key defensive pickups included linebackers Colby Bockwoldt and Tully Banta-Cain and nosetackle Aubrayo Franklin. The team also addressed its wide-receiver needs by signing former Denver Bronco and Atlanta Falcon, Ashley Lelie and Seattle Seahawk, Darrell Jackson. San Francisco also used the free agency period to extend Gore's contract to 4 years worth $28 million, $14 million of which is guaranteed.
[edit] Draft

In the 2007 NFL draft, they addressed their need for an inside linebacker by picking Patrick Willis in the first round and also gave up their 2008 first round pick to the New England Patriots and selected 28 overall Offensive Tackle Joe Staley. In the 2nd round the 49ers traded their pick for the Colts' number one pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. On the second day of the NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers traded a 4th round pick for Seattle Seahawks leading receiver, Darrell Jackson.

2008 7-9

Despite a disappointing season in 2007, Mike Nolan was retained as head coach. With the 49ers offense struggling the previous season, offensive coordinator Jim Hostler was fired and replaced by Mike Martz. In addition, Scot McCloughan was promoted from vice president of player personnel to general manager. Mike Nolan was fired after a 29-17 loss to the New York Giants in Week 8.

Signings

Pos. Player Free Agent Type 2007 Team Contract
WR Isaac Bruce Released St. Louis Rams 2 years, $6 million [1]
RB DeShaun Foster Released Carolina Panthers 2 years, $1.8 million [1]
LB Roderick Green UFA San Francisco 49ers 1 year
QB Shaun Hill UFA San Francisco 49ers 3 years, $6 million [2]
WR Bryant Johnson UFA Arizona Cardinals 1 year [3]
QB J. T. O'Sullivan UFA Detroit Lions 1 year, $645,000 [1]
CB Allen Rossum Released Pittsburgh Steelers 1 year, $870,000 [1]
DE Justin Smith UFA Cincinnati Bengals 6 years, $45 million [4]
DT Isaac Sopoaga UFA San Francisco 49ers 5 years, $20 million [5]
CB Donald Strickland UFA San Francisco 49ers 1 year, $800,000 [6]
LB Dontarrious Thomas UFA Minnesota Vikings 2 years [1]

Draft

1 29 DT Kentwan Balmer North Carolina Pick from the Indianapolis Colts
2 39 G Chilo Rachal USC
3 75 CB Reggie Smith Oklahoma Swapped picks with Chicago Bears due to tampering
4 107 C Cody Wallace Texas A&M
5 --- --- --- --- Forfeited due to tampering
6 174 WR Josh Morgan Virginia Tech
7 214 LB Larry Grant Ohio State

2009 Currently 3-5

he 49ers released Mike Martz on December 30, 2008. One day following the firing of Martz, the 49ers released quarterbacks coach Ted Tollner and running backs coach Tony Nathan. "To get where we needed to go, I felt those decisions needed to be made at this time," said Mike Singletary.[4] Tony Nathan's replacement came on January 7, 2009 when former 49ers' fullback Tom Rathman agreed to become the new running backs coach.[5]

Before the 49ers found a new quarterbacks coach, they introduced two new coaching positions on January 12, 2009. Mike Singletary's nephew Vantz Singletary became the 49ers' inside linebackers coach, while Al Harris was signed as the 49ers' pass rush specialist coach.[6]

One month after the firing of Martz, Jimmy Raye was finally hired as offensive coordinator, making him the seventh offensive coordinator in seven years for the 49ers. Along with the hiring of Raye, Ted Tollner's replacement Mike Johnson was signed as the 49ers' quarterback coach.[7]

The 49ers' next coaching addition would be Jason Michael as an offensive assistant on March 6, 2009.[8]

Draft

Michael Crabtree
2 Traded Traded to the Carolina Panthers
Glen Coffee
4 Traded Traded to the Carolina Panthers
Scott McKillop
Nate Davis
Bear Pascoe Compensatory Pick
Curtis Taylor
Ricky Jean-Francois Compensatory Pick

FA

Marvel Smith
Brandon Jones
Demetric Evans
Dre Bly
Tony Pashos

*Special thanks to Wikipedia and Ninernation

This pretty much sums up our journey over the last 4 and a half years. With all rebuilding teams, you need a strong front office, scouting, excellent drafts, possibly good free agent signings, and in some cases, a little luck.

A few of the rebuilding jobs that have taken place this decade included San Diego, Atlanta, New Orleans, and the New York Giants. In all of the aforementioned cases, the teams drafted a good QB. And in one case (San Diego), the Chargers went out a drafted another QB with their top pick after Brees third season, and by that time, he had produced about as much, if not more than Alex Smith. I'm not saying they should've thrown in the towel on Alex Smith in '07 or '08. But maybe they should have made some kind of move around that time as an insurance policy, in the event the QB situation did not pan out. The Chargers drafted Rivers as their insurance policy. We drafted no one until this season and signed JT O'Sullivan.

Our drafts have been ok overall, but our biggest problem is that we haven't selected too many game-changers/game breakers. And unfortunately, when given the opportunity to bring in those types of players, we have passed on them.

The final ingredient we are missing is quality coaching. Player development has been severely lacking for the better part of 5 years. But we have to remember, although Singletary was a part of the regime, he was not the head. So it isn't fair to lay the blame of our failures since 2005 at his feet.

With all that being said, we're headed in the right direction and can still finish 8-8/9-7 which is what most realistic fans predicted all along.

BTW, in defense of Scotty, I believe he did attempt to address the pash rush need in 2007 by signing Adalius Thomas. He decided he wanted to play on the east coast, so he never had a chance. As for the draft, how many world beaters have been drafted in the 2nd-7th rounds in the last 4 years that would've addressed this problem? I didn't count the 1st round because off of the top of my head, I don't think any have stood out that we actually had a chance to draft.

Please, the Raiders managed to pry Semour loose. THE RAIDERS?!!! If they can accomplish trading for a premier pass rusher, and Scott can't, what exactly does that say about him?