There are 108 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The 49ers Are STILL a Team in Transition - DEAL WITH IT

Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
Thank you....everybody seems so upset....but at the beginning of the year it was clear to me we where a 7-9 to 10-6 team give or take a game......but we will be much better next year with another for the players to Gel and build some consitancy.

7-9 is a whole lot different than 10-6. According to Young, it's the hardest step to take. If someone made a honest thread like this before the season, everyone would of jumped all over them for being negative and a fake fan. Yes, this is the same 7-9 team we've had for a couple of years. I'm getting tired of this, and would love for us to take the "next step" sometime soon.

I hear you man...but Young also points out the importance of sticking with a system for players to build on.....we can't keep changing coaches every year and expect things to change....we need to be patient. Everything we have right now is new(HC,OC and QB)....like Gannon says it takes a couple of years. Next year to me is more of a do or die year than this one.
You know i look and listen from around the league, and have heard over and over again since Smith has been in, even in the Titans game. All i kept hearing is, well you still cant forget that he hasnt played in two years, it's still a new system, but we have to be patient because he just seemed to find his niche, besides the turnovers. WE are all crying wolf, or some of us, but it's funny despite the turnovers, alex has put up more TD's in his 2.5 games then Hill for the year.

I'm watching Mcnabb, Orton, Big Ben, Aaron Rodgers, at least have 1 to 2 int's a piece off of deflected balls. However we continue to beat up Smith, because he has an overthrow, or underthrow, or a tipped ball gets intercepted. I watch this weekend and i'm seeing receivers like that catch Gage made on us, i seem them diving, jumping to catch passes over their head, or diving for catches throw too short. But the difference it seems with them and us is, their WR catches the ball if it's thrown in their direction period. When they make something off of nothing with a bad throw, the commentators dont say, hey that throw was low or high, they say, damn, look how he dove, or jumped for wresteled for that ball.

I mean it's like with smith, some of you really expect him to just stay in the pocket and complete every pass perfectly every week, day in and out. We lost the Titans game as a team, the defense left tons of big plays on the field, pass to Gage, missed tackle by lewis, missed tackle for harylson. In watching this weekend, when the qb's arent having the greatest day, the defense steps up.

We hate to keep talkin about it, but we gave Hill all the end of last year, then the beginning of the first half this year. Alex during that span hadnt thrown a ball in almost two years. Hill makes no points with the ball, then smith is in. He's played 2.5 games, after sitting for two years, and we are ready to bench him, when the former qb HIll, had the end of last year, and the continuity of this year, and proved he couldnt get it done.

WE are still trying to cater the offense to smith's strengths and even former coaches say, you have to start doing that in the offseason. But smith doesnt have that, he has now. Whats wrong with being patient, i mean yes on one hand we do have more turnovers than when hill was in, but on the flip side, we also have more points on the board, then with the latter QB. I just dont see why we cant be fair to the brotha, but im sorry i forgot. This is the zone.
Yup. We're a transition team transforming from a bad team to a less than mediocre team.

People need to stop with this we're still in rebuilding mode. Remember when Nolan/McC had their 5 year plan and by year 5 we were supposed to be legitimate contenders. Guess what it's year 5 and we still suck.

Sad thing is we keep half *ssing the change we desperately need. It's year 5 and people are proud because we finally moved the ball.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Nov 10, 2009 at 07:16:15 ]
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
You know i look and listen from around the league, and have heard over and over again since Smith has been in, even in the Titans game. All i kept hearing is, well you still cant forget that he hasnt played in two years, it's still a new system, but we have to be patient because he just seemed to find his niche, besides the turnovers. WE are all crying wolf, or some of us, but it's funny despite the turnovers, alex has put up more TD's in his 2.5 games then Hill for the year.

I'm watching Mcnabb, Orton, Big Ben, Aaron Rodgers, at least have 1 to 2 int's a piece off of deflected balls. However we continue to beat up Smith, because he has an overthrow, or underthrow, or a tipped ball gets intercepted. I watch this weekend and i'm seeing receivers like that catch Gage made on us, i seem them diving, jumping to catch passes over their head, or diving for catches throw too short. But the difference it seems with them and us is, their WR catches the ball if it's thrown in their direction period. When they make something off of nothing with a bad throw, the commentators dont say, hey that throw was low or high, they say, damn, look how he dove, or jumped for wresteled for that ball.

I mean it's like with smith, some of you really expect him to just stay in the pocket and complete every pass perfectly every week, day in and out. We lost the Titans game as a team, the defense left tons of big plays on the field, pass to Gage, missed tackle by lewis, missed tackle for harylson. In watching this weekend, when the qb's arent having the greatest day, the defense steps up.

We hate to keep talkin about it, but we gave Hill all the end of last year, then the beginning of the first half this year. Alex during that span hadnt thrown a ball in almost two years. Hill makes no points with the ball, then smith is in. He's played 2.5 games, after sitting for two years, and we are ready to bench him, when the former qb HIll, had the end of last year, and the continuity of this year, and proved he couldnt get it done.

WE are still trying to cater the offense to smith's strengths and even former coaches say, you have to start doing that in the offseason. But smith doesnt have that, he has now. Whats wrong with being patient, i mean yes on one hand we do have more turnovers than when hill was in, but on the flip side, we also have more points on the board, then with the latter QB. I just dont see why we cant be fair to the brotha, but im sorry i forgot. This is the zone.

You're asking for patience in the wrong forum. They want to give Smith a second chance to proved that he's the new Alex Smith but want to bench him after 2 1/2 games. OK, so he went all JTO in the 4th qtr against the Titans. It was a major part of the loss or at least curtail any chance of getting a catchup score to win the game.

What about the rest of the team. Mmmm...let see...Defense did a good job on V.Young and the passing game--trying hard to ignore that long pass from Young to his receiver that had got behind our DB. Yeah, our run defense did a good job against the run also --trying hard to ignore those long runs by C. Johnson.

The O-line I thought did OK. Inconsistent in run block and pass protection. But that's nothing new.

Let these guys play through the bad so they can get to the good, including the qb.

[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 10, 2009 at 07:26:53 ]
I dont wanna deal with it.. we are super bowl contenders
Thank you, DrE. While this four game losing streak has been very disappointing, the team is in better shape than it's been for years. With two high 1st round picks coming up the future looks pretty good.
Originally posted by DrE_DiESeL97:
When was the last time a 49er team this decade was in a position to win games against a former Super Bowl champion like the Indianapolis Colts or a current favorite like the Minnesota Vikings?

All this Alex sucks stuff and fire the GM and Coach Sing is crazy threads won't earn your team a WIN at all.

The offensive line play has been poor and Alex Smith has made some bone headed decisions, but they're finally putting points up on the board and moving the ball down the field like a PROFESSIONAL football team.

The pass rush is no doubt bi-polar and injuries have shredded the secondary. The deck is stacked even higher and the San Francisco 49ers need to learn to finish games WITH THE LEAD and not shoot themselves in the foot, as what happened during this losing streak.

They're still crawling and not in the "walking phase" or "running phase" yet.

They are still a 7-9 team until they prove OTHERWISE.

It must be nice to be able to settle for mediocrity. Hope you enjoy looking forward to "next year"...and "next year"...and "next year"...
Anyone that says anything about settling for mediocrity should be smacked. No one here is settling for mediocrity. We as fans have only one choice, either support the team or don't. The fans that choose to support the team are just as frustrated with our lack of success as anyone else. If you don't like the state of the team, do whatever you need to do to make yourself feel better, but you have no right to call out anyone that chooses to support their favorite team and say that they are "settling for mediocrity." That is bulls**t of the highest order.

[ Edited by PA9erFaithful on Nov 10, 2009 at 08:06:37 ]
Originally posted by sacniner:
Thank you....everybody seems so upset....but at the beginning of the year it was clear to me we where a 7-9 to 10-6 team give or take a game......but we will be much better next year with another for the players to Gel and build some consitancy.

7-9 is a whole lot different than 10-6. According to Young, it's the hardest step to take. If someone made a honest thread like this before the season, everyone would of jumped all over them for being negative and a fake fan. Yes, this is the same 7-9 team we've had for a couple of years. I'm getting tired of this, and would love for us to take the "next step" sometime soon.

I hear you man...but Young also points out the importance of sticking with a system for players to build on.....we can't keep changing coaches every year and expect things to change....we need to be patient. Everything we have right now is new(HC,OC and QB)....like Gannon says it takes a couple of years. Next year to me is more of a do or die year than this one.

This team needs more players STILL. It sucks to believe/understand that but they do. I do think that this next offseason can be just what this team needs. With most likely have 2 first round picks in the 5-15 area and $25 million+ for FA...this team could get A LOT better this offseason. Just look at Marvin Lewis and the Bengals, I'm still surprised that guy didn't get thrown out of there a year or two ago. The Bengals have SUCKED majorly, until this year. So, personally, no matter what happens...the Niners need to stick with everyone this offseason (HC, OC, DC...GM could change). More than anything this team needs continuity, something they haven't had since Mariucci years ago.
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
Yeah this is a team in transition. Eternal transition. Chalk that up to another lame excuse by the naive homer fans. Five years after hitting rock bottom this team is still getting outplayed and making dumbass mistakes week after week and losing games. If some of you want to be like sheep and accept it, fine. Go right ahead. But don't expect the entire fan base to be satisfied with the results on the field. Some of us have a higher standard and are fed up with 7 straight seasons of losing football. Close losses against better teams are still losses. Good teams win close games, bad teams lose close games. After 6 years of so-called transition we still only have moral victories to celebrate.

Bill Walsh's team took a COUPLE of years before anything started to work.

Team has been rebuilding for 7 years now.

Has the OL been rebuilt? Has the pass-rush been rebuilt? Has QB been rebuilt? Has the DL been rebuilt? Has WR top to bottom been rebuilt? Until this season, had TE been rebuilt?

So when is this supposed to result in wins? 5, 6, 7, 8 years? You tell me.

I support my team 100% but I know - just like when I think a player is a bust - I think a GM is a bust, I think a front office is a bust.

Just tell me how many more years I should wait. 2 more? 3 more? 4 more? So when the team doesn't improve when those years come around, remind yourselves of this post and talk to me then about being positive.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing (GM) and expecting a different result.

Off-season Moves:

Brandon Jones
Demetric Evans
Marvel Smith
Tony Pashos

0 for 4

The only team I know that has been in transition for 9 seasons are the Oakland Raiders and Detroit Lions because in both situations, the front office is a joke.

[ Edited by NinerGM on Nov 10, 2009 at 08:27:53 ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
Yeah this is a team in transition. Eternal transition. Chalk that up to another lame excuse by the naive homer fans. Five years after hitting rock bottom this team is still getting outplayed and making dumbass mistakes week after week and losing games. If some of you want to be like sheep and accept it, fine. Go right ahead. But don't expect the entire fan base to be satisfied with the results on the field. Some of us have a higher standard and are fed up with 7 straight seasons of losing football. Close losses against better teams are still losses. Good teams win close games, bad teams lose close games. After 6 years of so-called transition we still only have moral victories to celebrate.

Bill Walsh's team took a COUPLE of years before anything started to work.

Team has been rebuilding for 7 years now.

Has the OL been rebuilt? Has the pass-rush been rebuilt? Has QB been rebuilt? Has the DL been rebuilt? Has WR top to bottom been rebuilt? Until this season, had TE been rebuilt?

So when is this supposed to result in wins? 5, 6, 7, 8 years? You tell me.

I support my team 100% but I know - just like when I think a player is a bust - I think a GM is a bust, I think a front office is a bust.

Just tell me how many more years I should wait. 2 more? 3 more? 4 more? So when the team doesn't improve when those years come around, remind yourselves of this post and talk to me then about being positive.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing (GM) and expecting a different result.

This is the most disturbing part. Its like this org has no idea what to do
Originally posted by posterX:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by ninertico:
C'mon Dre, it's Coach's first year...we should be undefeated!!!

I totally agree!!!!

However, understanding and vision will be hard to grow in this garden.

JUST DOING MY PART TO SUPPORT MY TEAM!

I always hope that they can achieve beyond their means for an optimistic appraisal of a given year especially this one. Well, we have some pieces that seem to get us to a certain level reaching, but oh so close...soooooooo close, huh?

I am looking forward to see how this extraordinary recipe for success turns out...right now the chef needs just a lil more time which will be worth the delicacy of championships served before us.

Any great recipe takes time to get right...any chef knows that...

Of course...what's the new username...PosterX?

Nice...tone sounds the same through the threads to almost the very words spewed out of NolanNonsense, SingFan, Sabrason, ...took notes huh?

Cool! I get to again!

Good to have you around, man.

Welcome back!....whoever you are.

I agree this team is still adding parts and trying to add as much talent as possible, but we still have to execute and make plays, but most importantly we need to finish off drives and stop leaving points on the field, it's the mental mistakes that are keeping the team from winning games.
Early on I was blaming Jimmy Raye for the team lack of success, but Raye called a solid game on sunday and was aggressive trying to throw the ball, but until this team executes as a unit and stops making the mistakes that cost us points, we will continue to lose games, and with that said I hope our guys have a solid game on thursday
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Anyone that says anything about settling for mediocrity should be smacked. No one here is settling for mediocrity. We as fans have only one choice, either support the team or don't. The fans that choose to support the team are just as frustrated with our lack of success as anyone else. If you don't like the state of the team, do whatever you need to do to make yourself feel better, but you have no right to call out anyone that chooses to support their favorite team and say that they are "settling for mediocrity." That is bulls**t of the highest order.

Well I consider a post that screams "DEAL WITH IT" to be calling out fans that are upset and not happy with what the team has or has not done. I didn't call anyone out, I simply responded. But what I said still stands. To me saying "deal with it" means you're "ok" with it, it's not that big of a deal. We're a team in transition, ok that's an excuse to not worry. We'll improve in the offseason and get better, I'm cool with that. Things to look forward to for next season, so it's alright we blow games this year.

Well how many YEARS in a row is that going to be "ok" for? Rebuilding? My God there have been EXPANSION teams that have started from scratch and become playoff teams in less time than our "rebuilding". We're like the college kid that is afraid to graduate into the "real world", so he keeps changing his major to stay in school longer. At the rate we are going, by the time we get "all the pieces in place", some of the good players will have now will be slowing down and needing to be replaced themselves. Thus the process of "rebuilding" continues, and we have to "deal with" another year of being mediocre.
Excellent, cathartic thread.

What is really frustrating is that we've seen some really terrible teams rise during the past seven years to contend or gain respect (New Orleans, Arizona, Atlanta, etc.)

Many of these teams found good, innovative coaches, put in place excellent personnel men, and found really really good QBs one way or the other -- and surrounded them with enough supporting cast to make it work.

In the meantime, we've been through dozens of coaches and coordinators, have missed on too many draft picks, our QB situation is still unsettled, and the mix of supporting players isn't strong enough by itself to carry us (and hasn't been built to any sort of philosophy or plan).

This isn't rocket science. Until we establish an identity based on a clear, innnovative vision, established by real football minds, then we will continue to flounder and spin our wheels.

The result of that plan will inevitably be:

A good to excellent QB.
A great left tackle and good right tackle to protect him.
Skill position players that simply makes plays when they have to.
An offense that displays some innovation.
Disruptive pass rushers.
Speed on defense.

Why does this seem so obvious to us?