There are 163 users in the forums

a big feud between Sing and Cohn starting

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by jed_york:
Cohn to singletary is like Killion and Nancy Gay to coach Nolan. Smart coaches set up media as virtual enemy so the locker room has someone to hate on.

Cohn is setting himself up...to look like an a$$.

Singletary is just playing good defense like he always has.

Coach Nolan taught singletary well, Killion and gay was public enemy #1 and #2. Players and fans used them to motivate and occupied. Now Cohn is #1. Picking media as enemy is time honored and works every time.
Quote:
Singletary: “You know what, sir, I don’t know where you’re from and I don’t know what you really meant by that. I understand that you’re not my players. I’m thankful that you’re not my players. I do want to win. But let me say this, you have to know guys that you spend days with. Just like you when you’re at home. I don’t know how much time you spend with your kids. But it’s important that when things happen you have a pretty good idea of how your kids are going to respond. If you tell me that one of my kids slapped you, one of my kids spit on you, I’ve got a pretty good idea of who it would be, because I know them. ‘OK, that was Jack, or you know what, that was Brooke.’ When I’m talking about our guys, I know them. When you spend as much time with these young men and you know what they’re made of, you have a pretty doggone good idea how they’re going to respond. Does that make sense?”

Whew! Quite a response. Here’s what I got out of it. Singletary wanted to know where I’m from. Singletary imagined his kids slapping me and spitting on me. Clearly, that’s what he wanted to do for interrupting the serenity of the news conference and making him feel uncomfortable. I also got that he believes in his players — another total Cable response, which may or may not mean a thing.

My god. How can someone write a pice of garbage like that?
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Quote:
Singletary: “You know what, sir, I don’t know where you’re from and I don’t know what you really meant by that. I understand that you’re not my players. I’m thankful that you’re not my players. I do want to win. But let me say this, you have to know guys that you spend days with. Just like you when you’re at home. I don’t know how much time you spend with your kids. But it’s important that when things happen you have a pretty good idea of how your kids are going to respond. If you tell me that one of my kids slapped you, one of my kids spit on you, I’ve got a pretty good idea of who it would be, because I know them. ‘OK, that was Jack, or you know what, that was Brooke.’ When I’m talking about our guys, I know them. When you spend as much time with these young men and you know what they’re made of, you have a pretty doggone good idea how they’re going to respond. Does that make sense?”

Whew! Quite a response. Here’s what I got out of it. Singletary wanted to know where I’m from. Singletary imagined his kids slapping me and spitting on me. Clearly, that’s what he wanted to do for interrupting the serenity of the news conference and making him feel uncomfortable. I also got that he believes in his players — another total Cable response, which may or may not mean a thing.

My god. How can someone write a pice of garbage like that?

The writers of course have the opportunity to get the last shot in. But whatever, the fans can see this guy for the little p*ssy that he is.
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Didn't Cohn troll around here as "berniebernbaum" or something like that?

One of the few writers insecure enough to get rattled by what people say about him on forums. I remember him coming here to debate after we ripped some of his articles. He's a whiney little geek.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
who the f**k is cohn?

Works for the Santa Rosa press democrat. Matt Maiocco needs to walk over to his office/cubicle and kick his a$$.

Maybe it is time Maiocco should stop sucking Sing off and start asking some hard questions too.

Until we are above .500 and heading to the playoffs, we should be putting Singletary over the coals every f**king day
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Didn't Cohn troll around here as "berniebernbaum" or something like that?

One of the few writers insecure enough to get rattled by what people say about him on forums. I remember him coming here to debate after we ripped some of his articles. He's a whiney little geek.

Yeah, a major tool. Maiocco doesn't need to come in here to annouce that he's written an article. Wonder if Cohn is still registered here under another name.
Originally posted by Mex49:
who the f**k is cohn?

Works for the Santa Rosa press democrat. Matt Maiocco needs to walk over to his office/cubicle and kick his a$$.

Maybe it is time Maiocco should stop sucking Sing off and start asking some hard questions too.

Until we are above .500 and heading to the playoffs, we should be putting Singletary over the coals every f**king day

Beat reporters have no interest in raking guys over the coals. Their jobs depend on having coaches & top players on the team feeling ok to talk to them when they ask questions. Good luck getting those interviews for your column after you start throwing your own opinion in that they suck at their jobs when you write about them.
who the f**k is cohn?

Beat reporters have no interest in raking guys over the coals. Their jobs depend on having coaches & top players on the team feeling ok to talk to them when they ask questions. Good luck getting those interviews for your column after you start throwing your own opinion in that they suck at their jobs when you write about them.

Ah -- but sir -- I must respectfully disagree. And this is one reason why I left sports broadcasting. I couldn't bring myself to give verbal BJ's to players or coaches who sucked. As a reporter, you MUST be independent and objective. If you ever get into the routine where you care about the feelings of a player or coach first -- your days as an effective, independent and respected journalist are at an end.

You want positive spin? Cross over to the dark side of PR. Sell out. I did.

I'm surprised that someone like Cohn hasn't done so already. There are a few out of every generation who resist the lure and temptation of extra money and benefits. Cohn appears to be one of them.

I want him to put Singletary's butt on the carpet after each ugly loss, especially when he keeps rolling out a proven bust in Alex Smith. That's Cohn's job. He's not there to kiss the coach's behind or stroke Alex Smith's hair.

He's there to ask questions and get answers. And if the question is: "Coach, why does the team that you coach suck so bad?" Then so be it.
A lot of you guys have this all wrong. Cohn is from the east coast and he's gonna get after it a little more than the usual softball tossers around here. He's been covering the 49ers since the Walsh days. You don't last as long as he has if you suck. Especially in these days when newspapers are tanking left and right. It doesn't matter what paper he writes for. He's got a press credential and that's all that matters.

Sing was up there blowing smoke and Cohn called his a$$ out. That's what columnists do. They are allowed to have opinions.

Its about time. Take a look around the bay area. Billboards, buses, park benches everywhere with Sing's big ol' mug. "Don't tell me, show me." I'm sick of the last 3
coaches standing up there after another horrible loss telling us how the team is getting better, how things smell better. BS! If I have to hear another comment like that I might puke.

Just wait until we lose to the bears on thurs. Total and complete meltdown.

Motivation will only take you so far. At some point someone in the building needs to know a little something about the X's and O's. Jason Hill is a perfect example. No one in the building knew that maybe, just maybe this guy should play? Sheesh.
I don't mind Cohn at all, but he's just plain foolish if he expected Singletary to crack and publicly express doubt in the ability of his team to succeed.

Who here would really expect . . . or even like that to happen? f**king ridiculous.

[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Nov 10, 2009 at 17:44:16 ]

Originally posted by billbird2111:
who the f**k is cohn?

Ah -- but sir -- I must respectfully disagree. And this is one reason why I left sports broadcasting. I couldn't bring myself to give verbal BJ's to players or coaches who sucked. As a reporter, you MUST be independent and objective. If you ever get into the routine where you care about the feelings of a player or coach first -- your days as an effective, independent and respected journalist are at an end.

I'm surprised that someone like Cohn hasn't done so already. There are a few out of every generation who resist the lure and temptation of extra money and benefits. Cohn appears to be one of them.

I want him to put Singletary's butt on the carpet after each ugly loss, especially when he keeps rolling out a proven bust in Alex Smith. That's Cohn's job. He's not there to kiss the coach's behind or stroke Alex Smith's hair.

He's there to ask questions and get answers. And if the question is: "Coach, why does the team that you coach suck so bad?" Then so be it.

And if Singletary's answer is; "My Dear Mr. Cohn go f**k yourself, I believe in my team" . . . then so be it.
Cohn and Barbieri can both take a flying leap into the bay. Two guys that love to hear themselves talk and cant let an interview take places unless it meets there expectations. Cant stand listening to them.
I hope Lowell rips him a new one. Thank god, someone can keep him honest maybe.. Some of the things he said were pure fantasy, not to mention what he said about Smith's play yesterday..

Reminds me of the farm smells comin over to my house when there's no wind..

Personally, I've liked his work over the years, he almost never fails to say it straight, the way he feels. He has mad a lot of enemy's over the years..

NINERS!!
Originally posted by billbird2111:
who the f**k is cohn?

If you phrase your question like that, as a reader I would think you are a very amatuer reporter. If you want to put the coach's "butt on the carpet" after every loss, you are definately not being independent & objective. You are coming from the perspective of a pissed off fan.
Who's on first?
Share 49ersWebzone