There are 173 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why I like Singletary

• nooj
  • Veteran
SD49er does have a point though, Sing's clock management has been terrible so far. But I expect he will learn from those mistakes. It's not rocket science.
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's trash. He doesn't even know who is best WR's are. He cut our return man and injured our best CB as a result. He has no clue about personnel and is even worse at clock management.

You're too funny. I think you just post to piss people off.

What funny about what he said. Its true
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
As a coach, you can expect him to be a great motivational speaker in his press conference, interviews, etc. , but what I like about him is his work in regards to making decisions:

He's not afraid to bench starters who are making a ton of money (Clements).

He's not afraid to bench future (possible) Hall of Famers (Bruce).

He's not afraid to change his offensive philosophy to suit the strength of the team (running early in the season to passing more lately).

He's not afraid to give young guys a try (Tarrell Brown, Coffee, Balmer, Crabtree, Morgan).

He's not afraid to make a change at a crucial position in the middle of a game (Smith in for Hill).

He may sometimes make decisions that are not popular with the fans, but most of his decisions are well thought out and the decisions are mostly to make the team better. Some say he is stubborn, but his actions say otherwise. I just like the fact that he does not have any fear in making changes.

What you say about making changes is true, to a point. Unfortunately, sometimes those changes are late in coming, like having Hill in street clothes until recently, and continuing to play an obviously done Bruce. Morgan has been underperforming all season, yet the most promising receiver earlier in the year, Jones, can't get on the field. And the run game, which has been so anemic all year is only now being supplanted by the pass. Finally, Wragge, who has played fairly well when he's had opportunities, is on the bench while the guys that do play, suck. Is he that bad that Sing looks elsewhere for help, and if so, why is he still on the team and why didn't they lookm for alternatives a long time ago, before it became an emergency? Just asking.
He's trash. He doesn't even know who is best WR's are. He cut our return man and injured our best CB as a result. He has no clue about personnel and is even worse at clock management.

• dj43
  • Veteran
Singletary has some very good qualities that will eventually make him a very good coach in this league.

The one thing he needs the most right now is a creative and forceful OC that can stay within the overall offensive philosophy without getting into a rut. Raye has started off with all runs and then goes to all passes, very little blending. He just shows no ability to mix the plays to keep the defense off balance.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
As a coach, you can expect him to be a great motivational speaker in his press conference, interviews, etc. , but what I like about him is his work in regards to making decisions:

He's not afraid to change his offensive philosophy to suit the strength of the team (running early in the season to passing more lately).

He's not afraid to give young guys a try (Tarrell Brown, Coffee, Balmer, Crabtree, Morgan).

He's not afraid to make a change at a crucial position in the middle of a game (Smith in for Hill).

He may sometimes make decisions that are not popular with the fans, but most of his decisions are well thought out and the decisions are mostly to make the team better. Some say he is stubborn, but his actions say otherwise. I just like the fact that he does not have any fear in making changes.

What you say about making changes is true, to a point. Unfortunately, sometimes those changes are late in coming, like having Hill in street clothes until recently, and continuing to play an obviously done Bruce. Morgan has been underperforming all season, yet the most promising receiver earlier in the year, Jones, can't get on the field. And the run game, which has been so anemic all year is only now being supplanted by the pass. Finally, Wragge, who has played fairly well when he's had opportunities, is on the bench while the guys that do play, suck. Is he that bad that Sing looks elsewhere for help, and if so, why is he still on the team and why didn't they lookm for alternatives a long time ago, before it became an emergency? Just asking.

I think you need to go back and check your facts.

The reason Smith wasn't in there early was because the coaching staff felt he wasn't ready yet. When we was ready to go, he excelled. Smith gave the team chances to win the games. Sure we fell short on the last three games, but all we can ask for a developing team is the chance to win the game (as opposed to the blowouts we've been suffering through Nolans reign).

Jones wasn't on the field because he was injured, not because of a coaching decision.

It's obvious that the passing game will be better because Smith has a better arm than Hill. That's the main reason they are now passing more than running the ball.

It was said that the Titans game was the best that the guards have played all year. The running game was actually good. There's a reason Wragge is a backup. He has shortcomings such as athleticism and footwork.

Also after reviewing the game, I realized that the offense did not lose the game. The defense did. The offense put up 20 points and that should have been enough in the NFL to win a game. The defense could not stop Johnson and VINCE YOUNG?!
Alex Smith sucks.

Give the man a chance, your way to negative.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:

I think you need to go back and check your facts.

The reason Smith wasn't in there early was because the coaching staff felt he wasn't ready yet. When we was ready to go, he excelled. Smith gave the team chances to win the games. Sure we fell short on the last three games, but all we can ask for a developing team is the chance to win the game (as opposed to the blowouts we've been suffering through Nolans reign).

Jones wasn't on the field because he was injured, not because of a coaching decision.

It's obvious that the passing game will be better because Smith has a better arm than Hill. That's the main reason they are now passing more than running the ball.

It was said that the Titans game was the best that the guards have played all year. The running game was actually good. There's a reason Wragge is a backup. He has shortcomings such as athleticism and footwork.

Also after reviewing the game, I realized that the offense did not lose the game. The defense did. The offense put up 20 points and that should have been enough in the NFL to win a game. The defense could not stop Johnson and VINCE YOUNG?!

Who are you replying to? I said nothing about Smith. I actually feel that particular change was done at the appropriate time and for the right reasons. As for Jones, he was healed and ready to go weeks ago, while Bruce and Morgan have not stepped up for an equal amount of time (if not more). Jones and Hill should have been inserted in the lineup long before now. Singletary even admitted that Hill has been embarassing DB's in practice, yet he doesn't get to play until now? Questionable, at the very least, esp when the guys who ARE in aren't getting the job done.
As for Wragge, could his play be worse than what has transpired until now? If memory serves, he's always done an adequate if not admirable job, whenever he's got a chance to play. And, if they feel he'd be worse, what the heck is he doing on the team?
And I think it's a bit disengenious (sp?) to say the O-line played well considering the number of sacks and turnovers due to [pressure on Smith, who they say also played well. If so, why the heck did we lose and just who WAS responsible for the TO"s and Smith going to the turf so many times?
Just trying to keep it real.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

He's trash? That's a little harsh.

Clements hasn't played well this year. He is not our best corner. He plays like he's afraid to get beat, so he got demoted. And Sing is NOT responsible for Clements getting injured, that's ignorant. This is football. He's not our best corner just because he gets paid more.

And the 'pep rally clock management' arguement is old.

If that is what people are hung up on, that would be ridiculous. He's used two timeouts to "rally the troops" over the course of eight games, with one positive outcome out of the two situations. He did not do it again after the second time did not work out.

And coaches don't injure football players. Playing football injures football players.