There are 203 users in the forums

Why I like Singletary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As a coach, you can expect him to be a great motivational speaker in his press conference, interviews, etc. , but what I like about him is his work in regards to making decisions:

He's not afraid to bench starters who are making a ton of money (Clements).

He's not afraid to bench future (possible) Hall of Famers (Bruce).

He's not afraid to change his offensive philosophy to suit the strength of the team (running early in the season to passing more lately).

He's not afraid to give young guys a try (Tarrell Brown, Coffee, Balmer, Crabtree, Morgan).

He's not afraid to make a change at a crucial position in the middle of a game (Smith in for Hill).

He may sometimes make decisions that are not popular with the fans, but most of his decisions are well thought out and the decisions are mostly to make the team better. Some say he is stubborn, but his actions say otherwise. I just like the fact that he does not have any fear in making changes.
He's trash. He doesn't even know who is best WR's are. He cut our return man and injured our best CB as a result. He has no clue about personnel and is even worse at clock management.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's trash. He doesn't even know who is best WR's are. He cut our return man and injured our best CB as a result. He has no clue about personnel and is even worse at clock management.

You've got a point. But my point is he's not afraid to make changes when changes NEED to be done. Unlike Nolan...

well said, all those points are pretty valid up to this point, hopefully he learns from his mistakes this year.
I'd rather have wins than good decisions.

That was a really stupid decision and having Clement return kicks was even worse. I was extremely critical of that. However, the OP does make some good points about Singletary. He is not intimidated or afraid of making decisions or changes. That is actually a very good thing about a leader. He is also not afriad to discipline the biggest star (Vernon Davis) and get in the face of a player when needed.

I would like to see Singletary be bold enough to make 1 key move during the off season. Hire an OC that can really take this offense to a new level and really understands the passing game.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

That was a really stupid decision and having Clement return kicks was even worse. I was extremely critical of that. However, the OP does make some good points about Singletary. He is not intimidated or afraid of making decisions or changes. That is actually a very good thing about a leader. He is also not afriad to discipline the biggest star (Vernon Davis) and get in the face of a player when needed.

I would like to see Singletary be bold enough to make 1 key move during the off season. Hire an OC that can really take this offense to a new level and really understands the passing game.

Clement successfully returned kicks for the BILLS and Nowin had him do the very same thing Nate's first season with us.

Why are you so negative? Why dont you try to go be the coach of this team? Then when the team is 0-16 because you probably dont know anything about football im going to be like you and constantly bash you every week like you do singletary

He's trash? That's a little harsh.

Clements hasn't played well this year. He is not our best corner. He plays like he's afraid to get beat, so he got demoted. And Sing is NOT responsible for Clements getting injured, that's ignorant. This is football. He's not our best corner just because he gets paid more.

And the 'pep rally clock management' arguement is old.
I thought this article was pretty funny.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20091109/sports/911099927

I still support Singletary.

He is easily replaceable.
  • mighty9ers
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
I thought this article was pretty funny.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20091109/sports/911099927

I still support Singletary.

Ya that's a pretty sweet article, the last few exchanges between Cohn and Singletary are the reason why he is our coach, and why I love him. He is real and honest, even to writers. Who most coaches don't say anything too, just sentences revealing nothing relevant. I will continue to support him going forward.

Bummer about Clements, but Spencer is killing it out there....GO NINERS

go be a f**king Chargers fan already you clown
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

go be a f**king Chargers fan already you clown

lol SD49er just is biased he hates "coach FRAUD"

Singletary is a rookie coach so I'm sticking with him until he really gets into the groove of it. I want to see him go through a full year and offseason. After next year I will have a better feel for if he is our man or if he is not. However, I agree that he makes some ridiculous personnel moves but we will see how he adjusts to that as well.

You're too funny. I think you just post to piss people off.
Share 49ersWebzone