LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

What do the 9ers have to do to beat Da Bears?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Put Shaun Hill back into the starting lineup.

Name the QB who has actually won a game for us this season. Hint: His first name starts with an "S" and ends with an "N."

Name the QB who has the most losses this season. Hint: His first name starts with "S" and ends with "N." Still don't know? He went fishing on his bye week while the new starting QB was working with Crabtree.

Once again, name the ONLY QB on the 49er roster who has won a game THIS SEASON. Same hints apply.

Who gives a rip about fishing during the bye week? What does that have to do with WINS? Why do you insist on starting a QB who CANNOT WIN A GAME IF HIS LIFE DEPENDED ON IT?

I just don't understand your line of thinking on this matter. Please, please enlighten me. You would rather start a QB who gives us ZERO CHANCE at victory over another who has won three games this season? I just don't understand this debate.

Would you rather start an old, talentless QB who gives you ZERO CHANCE at winning a Super Bowl, or a young QB with the talent to do so, who just lacks experience? It's simple. Hill is not the QB of the future. He won't win us a playoff game. He won't even get us to the playoffs. So, you might as well see what the backups have to offer, and so far, Smith has outplayed Hill. Even if we lose, I'd rather see the offense move the ball. It's less frustrating knowing that we can score. It's more frustrating seeing the defense going out there every single game playing its heart out, only to lose because Shaun Hill can't even pick up a single 1st-down.

The bottom line is that if the OL doesn't improve, it really doesn't matter who starts at QB. Just give it a rest. Seriously. Right now, we have the right guy out there. Smith has more talent than Hill, and guys with more talent should start. Yes, he throws more INTs, but he also throws more TDs. No point of having Crabtree, Hill, Morgan, and Davis if you have Hill throwing ducks to them. They won't be on the team much longer if that happens.

Old? Hill? Since when?

Talentless? You call three wins "talentless?" Really? What do you call ZERO wins? Promising?

Again -- I don't understand. There's no "promise" with Alex Smith. There is nothing but loss after loss after loss after loss.

Don't pin it on the line. Shaun had the same line. He engineered three wins with that line. How come Shaun Hill can engineer three wins with that line but your "promising " QB can't engineer one win against a Pop Warner team?

Don't pin it on the defense. The D gave up a late score against Minnesota. Hill not only drove us down the field -- he threw what should have been the winning TD pass to Vernon. He showed the comeback promise that Alex has never had.

Your numbers don't add up. Zero wins is not "promise." It's massive, giant, suckitude.

Three wins is promise. We'd get a few more with Shaun back in at QB.

Really? What is there promise for? An 8-8 season? A 1st-round playoff exit? The guy had to be bailed out against the Rams, of all teams. He scored no points against the Rams in the entire 1st half of the game. The defense and special teams bailed him out. He then followed that up with his brilliant performance against the Falcons. Well, at least after that, he had a bye week to right the ship, especially since he was facing the Texans horrible secondary. He came out and looked absolutely disgusting yet again, losing the game by halftime. Smith came in and tried to rescue Jesus Hill, but it was too late.

Smith threw for 286 yards and 2 TDs against the Titans. That's promising compared to the hideous numbers Hill has put up this season. All Smith has to do is cut down on turnovers, and we have ourselves our QB of the future. All Hill has to do is magically improve his arm strength..oh wait..that can't happen.

End of debate.

Can we focus on the actual game now?

I don't care about how many yards or TD's Alex threw for. OK? Let's get that straight right now. I only care about two stats: WINS and LOSSES. That's the only thing that matters.

Alex cannot win football games. Period. He cannot beat a one-win team. He cannot beat a one win team AT HOME.

Jesus. I sound like Dr. Suess.

Shaun Hill has THREE WINS. He'd probably have MORE THAN THREE had he been allowed to keep going. Instead, he got yanked for "Mr. Promise."

Again, I cannot understand, for the life of me, this debate. Your man has NO VICTORIES. NONE. ZILCH. NADA. ZIP.

You have a QB riding the pine who delivered you three wins.

And you choose who?

Smith has faced the Colts and a Titans team who was healthy against us and was 13 - 3 last year. Did you really expect us to beat the Colts?

Hill's wins came against Rams, Hawks, AZ.

Got murdered by Houston, ATL and still lost to MIN (remember all you care about is W or L's)

Perchance, are you referring to the 13-3 team that has won only ONE game this season?

The one-win team that is now a two-win team? Thanks to the QB who can't beat a one win team? At home no less?

Promise? What promise? Alex Smith has delivered seven straight losses. I can tell you that with a straight face because it's a fact. You can go ahead with the line that "he has the potential to lead us to a ten win season," sure. But that's just laughable. Because, in reality, he's delivered us seven straight losses. And soon, in another four days, that number will grow to eight. And, if he stays in the starting lineup, the number will climb to nine the following week and to ten in the week beyond that.

See, you can trust "Mr. Promise" to deliver losses. Because, that's what he does. It's the only thing he does. And you can count on that. Take it to the bank. Take out a home loan on the fact that Alex Smith will continue to lose games until Singletary or someone in the Niner front office screams "UNCLE" (as in Uncle Eddie I hope).

Just make sure you're still here when your plan doesn't go as scheduled. I was right about Davis not being a bust, and we'll see about Smith.

Don't worry. I'll be here. I live, breath and die 49ers. Have for years. I waste way too much time, money, effort and attention on this team during football season. I probably always will until the day I take my final breath.

I've seen, firsthand, great 49er teams rise from the ash heap. I hope to see it again someday. I do not think Alex Smith will be the one to get us there. I don't think Shaun Hill is that QB either.

I just know that Hill is the better QB of the two solely based upon the won-loss record.

It's hard to argue for Smith with his atrocious record. It's akin bringing a rubber knife to a bazooka fight.

That's how I feel with Shaun Hill at QB. He doesn't have the tools to beat NFL defenses, even though his team often times bails him out and gets him the victory. Wins and losses aren't everything. Hill has a winning record as a starting QB and all of a sudden everyone thinks he's God. Football is a team sport. Hill should be thankful that he has a good defense to bail him out. Smith will win games too, when the schedule softens up. Hill won games when the schedule was soft, and so will Smith. Smith had to face some pretty good teams.

Anyway, I'm tired of arguing between the two. All I can say is that Smith has looked impressive so far. He just needs to protect the football a bit more. Hill has looked pathetic, except one drive against Arizona in which he looked OK. He threw a ball there in double coverage that should've been picked off. He was fortunate it wasn't. He did the same against Minnesota. He threw a ball to Vernon that was picked off, but the INT was negated due to a 49ers penalty. He was fortunate there as well. Yes, Hill has 3 precious wins this season. If you take the time to actually analyze it, it isn't very impressive. He was averaging less than 160 yards passing per game, and roughly 1 TD per game. This is not an NFL starting QB. I don't know how long it's going to take for people to realize this.

On that note, we need a win against the Bears. I don't care who starts.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MertonHanks:
Originally posted by danimal:
A lot of you should pay attention to Jay Cutler in the upcoming game. Perfect example of what a Good QB looks like leading a top to bottom pretty bad team. If he has a typical game, you will see he won't look horrendous, though he too has many excuses to look bad.

The guy can throw a great ball. The guy cannot always make a great decision.

Same with Alex....it seems.
Originally posted by MertonHanks:
Originally posted by danimal:
A lot of you should pay attention to Jay Cutler in the upcoming game. Perfect example of what a Good QB looks like leading a top to bottom pretty bad team. If he has a typical game, you will see he won't look horrendous, though he too has many excuses to look bad.

The guy can throw a great ball. The guy cannot always make a great decision.

Cutler has 14TD and 12ints on the season so far.

Just an FYI.

-9fA
They need to do what is within themselves. They can't let Smith throw the ball over the field like yesterday. Turnovers are just a real crusher, epsecially late in the game. Let him throw 20-25 times, and man up on the O-line, and get that damn run game going.
Finally, thank you to the two fans I've been arguing with all afternoon.

You've kept it above-board and resisted personal attacks. That is to be commended.

You're both great 49er fans.

• Chief
  • Veteran
Sign Kurt Warner!

j/k...

Hopefully play mistake free smart football.
Isn't Tommie Harris suspended for this game?

We don't run the shot put anymore.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Isn't Tommie Harris suspended for this game?

I hope so, but with our luck he won't
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

This...at least we know Hill won't throw 3 picks in a game

Or get three first downs.

• zachariah94
  • Info N/A
play 4 quarters instead of 3
Come out and attack the Bears creatively downfield as per the Bengals' and Cards' gameplans the last two weeks. There's NO REASON whatsoever for us to come out wanting to control the game clock with a smashmouth running game and then let the better QB, Cutler, beat us late in the game.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by djfullshred:
They need to do what is within themselves. They can't let Smith throw the ball over the field like yesterday. Turnovers are just a real crusher, epsecially late in the game. Let him throw 20-25 times, and man up on the O-line, and get that damn run game going.

Sure they can ,it's the first time all year Gore has got good yardage throughout the game, I agree they should have run more yesterday , but we saw what happens when there is no threat of a pass of more than 5 yds
I think we need to hit those intermediate routes and some hot reads in the passing game. If Im not misstaking, the Bengals registered 30 first downs on their way to whipping up on the Bears a couple weeks ago.

Our defense should really step up and shut down the running game. I respect Forte a lot, but I know our D should improve on this past week
SI's Peter King put it nicely:

"e. The 49ers are better that 3-5. Miami's better than 3-5. But you get what you deserve. Both have to get better quarterback play to have a chance."

'Nuff said.
Share 49ersWebzone