There are 137 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

This could flip - here's why

1. Talent. Look at the margin of victory/loss. The Niners have scored 174 points and given up 174 points. They've been involved in only 2 blowouts, the first a +35 win, the second a -35 loss. Their wins are +4, +13. Their losses are -3, -3, -4, -7. The Niners aren't keeping it close because Jimmy Raye or Greg Manusky have discovered breakthrough innovations in offense or defense. So the one valid conclusion that can be drawn from the tiny margins of victory/loss is that the Niners' talent is on par with the best in the NFL - Indy, Minn, AZ.

2. Coaching tells in how a team plays on the road. The Niners have played 4 road games, three in the Central time zone. These teams have a combined record of 25-8. And yet, the Niners margin of victory/loss are +4, -3, -3, -4. In three of these games they've held a 4th quarter lead. That's good coaching.

3. Coach willing to change. He'll change little things -- notice how he's stoped using timeouts for mid-game pep talks? He'll change big things, like QB, even scheme. Remember back to 2007 when Smith was hurt and the offense was stuck in the mud? Remember Nolan's mantra? I do. It was, "I'm not going to change the problem." He wouldn't change players, he wouldn't change the style of offense, nothing. Nolan was afraid that change would only make things worse -- he lacked confidence. Singeltary is willing to change anything that doesn't work.

4. Niners can score points. The last 10 quarters of football show that Vernon Davis, Gore, Crabtree, Jason Hill, and Josh Morgan are legit playmakers if they have a QB with normal NFL-quality armstrength. When the offense is opened up under Smith it has scored 24.8 ppg (62 points divided by 2.5 games). Finally, FINALLY, the Niners can score, they have a modern NFL offense.

5. While Shaun Hill can't increase his arm strength, but Alex Smith can reduce his turnovers with more practice and more playing time.

Although it was obscured by the turnovers, I think a big offensive turn-around began in Houston and really got going yesterday. On Thursday it pays off with a win. And then the Niners will be a very dangerous team indeed.
post of the day right here.
  • 15crabtre
  • Info N/A
will raye open the offense
i really hope we turn it around and win 7 out of the next 8 and make the playoffs.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5,321
Originally posted by Knowledge:
post of the day right here.

Plain & Simple...WE R A YOUNG TEAM...PLAYING LIKE ONE.
Point 5 is a big maybe. The reality is that some guys just don't have it, and Alex Smith may be one of those guys. Regardless, he is getting his third chance as starter, and I'm glad. If he doesn't start to inspire confidence soon (trend better) the Alex Smith experiment officially comes to an end, and we can start rebuilding...yet again.
This could flip if they stop beating themselves. Looking at the last two weeks, they made so many BIG GAME-CHANGING MISTAKES!!! Will it ever stop?
Good post and all is true. But margins of victory dont really matter. Only victories matters.
Problem is, the same can often be said for most mediocre teams in the NFL (excluding the truly horrendous teams like the 2009 Rams, etc.)

Most of the NFL is 'right there.' The Texans just lost to the Colts by a small margin, and given one or two 'lucky plays' or less mistakes, they would have won.

But the fact is that in this example the Colts are a better team -- plain and simple.

There is a reason the NFL powers stay there these days. To get to the next level takes more than just lucky bounces and making 'less mistakes'. It takes the very best football minds creating strategy and a plan, it is the very best talent evaluators finding the pieces to fit that plan, and the very best coaching to ensure that the plan is executed.

If you aren't doing it, the other teams are, and you will be stuck being 'almost there.'
Originally posted by Nes49:
Originally posted by Knowledge:
post of the day right here.

Plain & Simple...WE R A YOUNG TEAM...PLAYING LIKE ONE.

Really hope this gets to flipping this week. Go 49ers!
Originally posted by 15crabtre:
will raye open the offense

He did yesterday, except for the stupid draw play on 3rd and long. Really, what other team just gives up if it's 3 and 15 or longer?
Originally posted by MSteitz468:
Originally posted by 15crabtre:
will raye open the offense

He did yesterday, except for the stupid draw play on 3rd and long. Really, what other team just gives up if it's 3 and 15 or longer?


The Chiefs maybe
Originally posted by MSteitz468:
Originally posted by 15crabtre:
will raye open the offense

He did yesterday, except for the stupid draw play on 3rd and long. Really, what other team just gives up if it's 3 and 15 or longer?

When we had the lead to start the 2nd half, I remember 2 runs up the middle being called WTF? Leaving us at a 3rd and long, he needs to be more aggressive when we have the lead.
Originally posted by RichnSanRamon:
1. Talent. Look at the margin of victory/loss. The Niners have scored 174 points and given up 174 points. They've been involved in only 2 blowouts, the first a +35 win, the second a -35 loss. Their wins are +4, +13. Their losses are -3, -3, -4, -7. The Niners aren't keeping it close because Jimmy Raye or Greg Manusky have discovered breakthrough innovations in offense or defense. So the one valid conclusion that can be drawn from the tiny margins of victory/loss is that the Niners' talent is on par with the best in the NFL - Indy, Minn, AZ.

2. Coaching tells in how a team plays on the road. The Niners have played 4 road games, three in the Central time zone. These teams have a combined record of 25-8. And yet, the Niners margin of victory/loss are +4, -3, -3, -4. In three of these games they've held a 4th quarter lead. That's good coaching.

3. Coach willing to change. He'll change little things -- notice how he's stoped using timeouts for mid-game pep talks? He'll change big things, like QB, even scheme. Remember back to 2007 when Smith was hurt and the offense was stuck in the mud? Remember Nolan's mantra? I do. It was, "I'm not going to change the problem." He wouldn't change players, he wouldn't change the style of offense, nothing. Nolan was afraid that change would only make things worse -- he lacked confidence. Singeltary is willing to change anything that doesn't work.

4. Niners can score points. The last 10 quarters of football show that Vernon Davis, Gore, Crabtree, Jason Hill, and Josh Morgan are legit playmakers if they have a QB with normal NFL-quality armstrength. When the offense is opened up under Smith it has scored 24.8 ppg (62 points divided by 2.5 games). Finally, FINALLY, the Niners can score, they have a modern NFL offense.

5. While Shaun Hill can't increase his arm strength, but Alex Smith can reduce his turnovers with more practice and more playing time.

Although it was obscured by the turnovers, I think a big offensive turn-around began in Houston and really got going yesterday. On Thursday it pays off with a win. And then the Niners will be a very dangerous team indeed.

WOW! You actually got me to look at this season in a whole new light. Thanks! I wasn't ready to throw in the towel just yet, but after reading your post, I'm more optimistic about our prospects going forward. Thanks for posting this. It was indeed the post of the day!
I love the optimism but a reality check is that we usually score points when the game is out of hand! LIke yesterdays garbage td to j hill! The problem is, this team can't score when they MUST! Instead they turn the ball over, or commit penalties that high school players commit! I think a better stat is whats the score differential in the first half of games? Cause clearly we tend to get down and then make second half adjustments