There are 48 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

When will we finally get over the hump?

The difficult thing to accept is that there is no guarantee whatsoever that we will EVER return to prominence in the NFL.

There are 31 other organizations out there fighting for the same thing.

Most of them have better ownership, newer stadiums (with the resultant revenue streams and advertising capability), a real NFL management structure, better scouts and personnel men, and better core players.

I didn't mention coaching yet, as this is still just Sings first full season. But we have plenty of evidence on many of the bit players (like Sullivan, Raye, and the other merry band of fools) to know that they aren't helping much.

Pile on top a legacy of bad decisions that continue to weigh down this franchise, that stretch all the way back to Walsh hiring Terry Donahoe and signing 'the criminal running back' and continue with the current wishy-washy Alex Smith situation.

This is a LOT to overcome. As others have mentioned it has to start from the top. Ownership must be 100% committed to winning, and have the foresight to hire the very best football people and then LEAVE THEM ALONE to do their job, and spend money to create a favorable enivornment.

Can the Yorks do this? Nothing so far says they can, or will. I am enthused that they have put a young, smart kid like Jed in place as the face of the organization. Now let's see some smart football decisions be made.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Xestenz:
The difficult thing to accept is that there is no guarantee whatsoever that we will EVER return to prominence in the NFL.

There are 31 other organizations out there fighting for the same thing.

Most of them have better ownership, newer stadiums (with the resultant revenue streams and advertising capability), a real NFL management structure, better scouts and personnel men, and better core players.

I didn't mention coaching yet, as this is still just Sings first full season. But we have plenty of evidence on many of the bit players (like Sullivan, Raye, and the other merry band of fools) to know that they aren't helping much.

Pile on top a legacy of bad decisions that continue to weigh down this franchise, that stretch all the way back to Walsh hiring Terry Donahoe and signing 'the criminal running back' and continue with the current wishy-washy Alex Smith situation.

This is a LOT to overcome. As others have mentioned it has to start from the top. Ownership must be 100% committed to winning, and have the foresight to hire the very best football people and then LEAVE THEM ALONE to do their job, and spend money to create a favorable enivornment.

Can the Yorks do this? Nothing so far says they can, or will. I am enthused that they have put a young, smart kid like Jed in place as the face of the organization. Now let's see some smart football decisions be made.

Can't rip on anything Walsh did...The last time we were in the Playoff or had any kind of team to root for was when he took the role of GM. TDon is responsible for his own actions after Walsh Left.
Originally posted by jcs:
Can't rip on anything Walsh did...The last time we were in the Playoff or had any kind of team to root for was when he took the role of GM. TDon is responsible for his own actions after Walsh Left.

Okay -- won't get into this arugment. The point is that we have inherited a legacy of bad decisions, and bad decisions in the NFL don't just hurt you in the now, they hurt you in the future.
I don't know
I have had many debates with memphis and other zoners like him.

I think this decade has been educating to Niners fans.

Niner fans have 2 options.

1. Be a casual fan, don't even think about the Niners in the off season. Don't know all the starters names and numbers until about mid-season. Make your first expectation for the season around October when a few games have been played already

2. Continue to be an involved educated fan....but stop being afraid to be a CRITIC. In the Golden Era you could trust this Franchise to do the right thing, and so you did not have to be critical. Those days are over.

My best advice for the fellow zoners who I beat year in and year out in predictions....be more critical; that will help you set a proper expectation level. Now don't make up s**t to be critical about, but do heed warning flags.

Memphis. We will get over the hump when the Niners have a GM who fills holes faster than new ones are created. That has not been the case this decade. No vision and just reacting from the top down will always yield the on field results we have been watching