LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

When will we finally get over the hump?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Memphis49er
  • Info N/A
It's been 7 long seasons without a playoff berth. How much longer do we have to endure. I've seen several teams rebuild since our last playoff scene. Every Monday I'm the butt end of everybody's jokes. I wanna be the one thats cracking on people's teams sometimes. I've heard every 49er can't win joke there was ever created. It almost hurt me to watch sometimes. We get the lead and I say to myself, how are we gonna blow it this week. I've been a 49er fan for 26 years and I have not seen anything to this nature. Help us somebody, Please, anybody. Make football fun for me again. Can we get it together before the Texans win a SuperBowl or will I forever be dwelling on those great 80's teams.
Originally posted by Memphis49er:
It's been 7 long seasons without a playoff berth. How much longer do we have to endure. I've seen several teams rebuild since our last playoff scene. Every Monday I'm the butt end of everybody's jokes. I wanna be the one thats cracking on people's teams sometimes. I've heard every 49er can't win joke there was ever created. It almost hurt me to watch sometimes. We get the lead and I say to myself, how are we gonna blow it this week. I've been a 49er fan for 26 years and I have not seen anything to this nature. Help us somebody, Please, anybody. Make football fun for me again. Can we get it together before the Texans win a SuperBowl or will I forever be dwelling on those great 80's teams.

when we get real leaders in the front office.
We have faded into mediocrity and there is no timeline as to when we will ever crawl out of this funk. Pretty sad.
When we get a franchise QB.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
When we get a franchise QB.

Can't have a franchise QB without a line that can block for 5 seconds. See Lions, Detroit.

Even if we had a great OL, we don't have a QB that can take advantage of it.

We need both.

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Nov 9, 2009 at 09:07:52 ]
McCloughan the idiot needs to go. We address the o-line by signing a guy with back problems and then a guy that was cut by the Jags? We sure are going places! WooHOOO!!!
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
McCloughan the idiot needs to go. We address the o-line by signing a guy with back problems and then a guy that was cut by the Jags? We sure are going places! WooHOOO!!!

But if ownership is clueless who is gonna fire him?
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:

But if ownership is clueless who is gonna fire him?

That's the thing. Jed isn't a man of his word. Not enough changes have been made in order for us to make the playoffs. We refused to address any needs before the trade deadline. We're sitting here with two first round picks and refuse to use one of them on someone that can help us out.
It's not going to be this year.

We either need a franchise QB, or a great OL, and we don't have either.

And a pass rusher would be nice...(wow, we haven't had a good pass rusher and good QB, since Peterson and Garcia;and even our OL hasn't been special for awhile).

We will see next year, with two top 10 possible 1st round picks, we can get our pass rusher and RT.

We need to give Davis a shot at QB before spending another high draft pick on a bust (this QB class is scary, Tebow? Bradford (bad shoulder in 5-6 years?) Locker (he will go #1); McCoy (not a great deep ball, and a spread offense); Pike?

You don't need an elite QB to win / make the SB. With a good OL and Defense, Hill or Davis (assuming Davis isn't a TO machine like JTO or Smith) can take us deep into the playoffs. But, I'd rather see Davis or ? be our #1 with Hill as our backup.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
It's not going to be this year.

We either need a franchise QB, or a great OL, and we don't have either.

And a pass rusher would be nice...(wow, we haven't had a good pass rusher and good QB, since Peterson and Garcia;and even our OL hasn't been special for awhile).

We will see next year, with two top 10 possible 1st round picks, we can get our pass rusher and RT.

We need to give Davis a shot at QB before spending another high draft pick on a bust (this QB class is scary, Tebow? Bradford (bad shoulder in 5-6 years?) Locker (he will go #1); McCoy (not a great deep ball, and a spread offense); Pike?

You don't need an elite QB to win / make the SB. With a good OL and Defense, Hill or Davis (assuming Davis isn't a TO machine like JTO or Smith) can take us deep into the playoffs. But, I'd rather see Davis or ? be our #1 with Hill as our backup.

Wow, the bolded is almost word for word what I was going to post!

2011, assuming we do start drafting linemen and put our stock in another QB.
The difficult thing to accept is that there is no guarantee whatsoever that we will EVER return to prominence in the NFL.

There are 31 other organizations out there fighting for the same thing.

Most of them have better ownership, newer stadiums (with the resultant revenue streams and advertising capability), a real NFL management structure, better scouts and personnel men, and better core players.

I didn't mention coaching yet, as this is still just Sings first full season. But we have plenty of evidence on many of the bit players (like Sullivan, Raye, and the other merry band of fools) to know that they aren't helping much.

Pile on top a legacy of bad decisions that continue to weigh down this franchise, that stretch all the way back to Walsh hiring Terry Donahoe and signing 'the criminal running back' and continue with the current wishy-washy Alex Smith situation.

This is a LOT to overcome. As others have mentioned it has to start from the top. Ownership must be 100% committed to winning, and have the foresight to hire the very best football people and then LEAVE THEM ALONE to do their job, and spend money to create a favorable enivornment.

Can the Yorks do this? Nothing so far says they can, or will. I am enthused that they have put a young, smart kid like Jed in place as the face of the organization. Now let's see some smart football decisions be made.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Xestenz:
The difficult thing to accept is that there is no guarantee whatsoever that we will EVER return to prominence in the NFL.

There are 31 other organizations out there fighting for the same thing.

Most of them have better ownership, newer stadiums (with the resultant revenue streams and advertising capability), a real NFL management structure, better scouts and personnel men, and better core players.

I didn't mention coaching yet, as this is still just Sings first full season. But we have plenty of evidence on many of the bit players (like Sullivan, Raye, and the other merry band of fools) to know that they aren't helping much.

Pile on top a legacy of bad decisions that continue to weigh down this franchise, that stretch all the way back to Walsh hiring Terry Donahoe and signing 'the criminal running back' and continue with the current wishy-washy Alex Smith situation.

This is a LOT to overcome. As others have mentioned it has to start from the top. Ownership must be 100% committed to winning, and have the foresight to hire the very best football people and then LEAVE THEM ALONE to do their job, and spend money to create a favorable enivornment.

Can the Yorks do this? Nothing so far says they can, or will. I am enthused that they have put a young, smart kid like Jed in place as the face of the organization. Now let's see some smart football decisions be made.

Can't rip on anything Walsh did...The last time we were in the Playoff or had any kind of team to root for was when he took the role of GM. TDon is responsible for his own actions after Walsh Left.
Originally posted by jcs:
Can't rip on anything Walsh did...The last time we were in the Playoff or had any kind of team to root for was when he took the role of GM. TDon is responsible for his own actions after Walsh Left.

Okay -- won't get into this arugment. The point is that we have inherited a legacy of bad decisions, and bad decisions in the NFL don't just hurt you in the now, they hurt you in the future.
I don't know
Share 49ersWebzone