There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MIDSEASON SUMMARY: POOR TRENCH PLAY

Originally posted by 9erred:
Your post is wrong, it should read poor trench coaching.

Smiley, Kosier, and Harvey Dahl all sucked it up for the 9ers. They go to other teams.

Smiley0- makes the highlihgt reel weekly with the dolphins and will be in the pro bowl

Kosier- stater

Dahl- cut, now starter at Guard with Falcons, could have kept Dahl and drafted Desean Jackson..

Kosier and Dahl yes but Smiley didn't stink at all. One subpar year uner hostler in which the whole offense had a subpar year.
All true, above, maybe this season will prove wrong McCloughan's theory that getting OL talent and guards are a "dime a dozen" and that hiring rethread OL coaches who were let go by Parsells (Warhop) proved epic fail to a rebuilding franchise.

Letting Smiley walk and keeping faith in Baas (flat feet/less mobile) = major set back in OL development....Choosing Cody Wallace over Carl Nicks/Donald Thomas = major mistakes....not pulling the trigger on Michael Oher when he slipped past #20 = missed oppty - is there a better OT prospect in 2010 that can be had @ #21-23 pay?

Sure 20/20 hindsight = blah,blah,blah... but I can only hope that Scot & co. will have learned from their mistakes and get the OL talent and 3rd down pass rusher needed to "finish" games and get to the next level
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Yes, I know some of you QB boys are going on and on about how horrible Alex or Shaun has been and why one is better than the other and we need a new one, blah, blah, blah. This sounds just as familiar as those who were dying for better receivers and that would suddenly make the team better while many of you said "we can address the lines in the 4th round."

Your chickens have come home to roost, I've been saying this since February:

The 49ers season will depend upon play at the LOS, regardless of who they have at the skill positions.

Again, another 1-6 team set an example of when the OL is not even great, just DECENT and you have a couple of good players, you can beat teams that have poor LOS play. What do I mean? Rewind the tape:

Compare how long Young even before scrambling had time to throw to his WR.
Now compare how long ANY of the QBs have had ALL SEASON to throw.

Compare their DE using, abusing and beating our OTs - yes even ones not named Simms. Now compare how our LBs pass-rushers supposedly did the same thing.

TRENCH PLAY. Why don't the 49ers have any turnovers when they really need them against decent teams? Trench play. Why do the 49ers have the worst 3rd down conversion rate in the league? Trench play. Outside of 3 long runs in which he manufactures most on his own, why do the 49ers have problems running? Trench play. Why isn't this bend don't break defense that seem to have lost the ability for big plays? You guessed it - trench play.

This isn't a negative post but I hope one that refocuses the debate on where it needs to be; rather than creating another Hill v Smith thread, or talk about how this one player or that one player is responsible for the team's loss, until this team gets serious about a pass-rusher and protection/run-blocking, it will continue to struggle against teams who can do that.

This isn't about Free Alex or start Hill or "let's see what Davis can do." It's about the turn style on the OL and about the inconsistent pass-rush that has continually haunted this team for years.

For some reason this continues to elude the 49ers.

GOOD, CONSISTENT TRENCH PLAY.

I have to honestly say, Smiths INT's came when he had "Good" protection...This game was on him.
Originally posted by jcs:
Yes, I know some of you QB boys are going on and on about how horrible Alex or Shaun has been and why one is better than the other and we need a new one, blah, blah, blah. This sounds just as familiar as those who were dying for better receivers and that would suddenly make the team better while many of you said "we can address the lines in the 4th round."

The 49ers season will depend upon play at the LOS, regardless of who they have at the skill positions.

Again, another 1-6 team set an example of when the OL is not even great, just DECENT and you have a couple of good players, you can beat teams that have poor LOS play. What do I mean? Rewind the tape:

Compare their DE using, abusing and beating our OTs - yes even ones not named Simms. Now compare how our LBs pass-rushers supposedly did the same thing.

TRENCH PLAY. Why don't the 49ers have any turnovers when they really need them against decent teams? Trench play. Why do the 49ers have the worst 3rd down conversion rate in the league? Trench play. Outside of 3 long runs in which he manufactures most on his own, why do the 49ers have problems running? Trench play. Why isn't this bend don't break defense that seem to have lost the ability for big plays? You guessed it - trench play.

This isn't a negative post but I hope one that refocuses the debate on where it needs to be; rather than creating another Hill v Smith thread, or talk about how this one player or that one player is responsible for the team's loss, until this team gets serious about a pass-rusher and protection/run-blocking, it will continue to struggle against teams who can do that.

This isn't about Free Alex or start Hill or "let's see what Davis can do." It's about the turn style on the OL and about the inconsistent pass-rush that has continually haunted this team for years.

I have to honestly say, Smiths INT's came when he had "Good" protection...This game was on him.

This is a typical zoner knee-jerk reaction after one game. This is a mid-season report. Fine that's on Smith -

A better question is why can't the 49ers run? Why do we suck at 3rd down conversion and the "pretty good protection" you describe is longer than 2 seconds? All three were slants/hot reads - 2 of which to Josh Morgan. Smith, Hill, or Davis - it doesn't matter who's back there. All are ineffective without protection. We win the Houston game if one block is made.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran

Not ALL on him. He gets his not doubt. If U MUST LAY BLAME...THEN IT'S ACROSS THE BOARD MAN. Their was WTFs on BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL.

Smiley, Kosier, and Harvey Dahl all sucked it up for the 9ers. They go to other teams.

Smiley0- makes the highlihgt reel weekly with the dolphins and will be in the pro bowl

Kosier- stater

Dahl- cut, now starter at Guard with Falcons, could have kept Dahl and drafted Desean Jackson..

count me in with 9erred. foerster has got to go. everywhere he's gone he's sucked. his longest tenure with a single team was with tampa bay from 96 to 01 as off line coach which could only be described best as inconsistent.
96- 22nd rushing 3.4 ypc 33 sacks allowed
97- 11th rushing 4.0 ypc 32 sacks allowed
98- 4th rushing 4.1 ypc 28 sacks allowed
99- 15th rushing 3.5 ypc 42 sacks allowed
00- 9th rushing 4.2 ypc 38 sacks allowed
01- 30th rushing 3.4 ypc 47 sacks allowed

his only shot at an off coordinator was with miami in 04. know where they ended up offensively? 29th in ypg. this man has got to go.
We have to get something figured out on the o-line. Vince Young drops back & has all day to throw. Alex drops back & if he doesn't release it he is running for his life.

Kosier- stater

Smiley was pretty good for us under Norv Turner. Under a coach who used his talents instead of trying to have him try to physically push the opponent out of the way which is currently what the niners strategy is.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Nes49:

Not ALL on him. He gets his not doubt. If U MUST LAY BLAME...THEN IT'S ACROSS THE BOARD MAN. Their was WTFs on BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL.

You take back the 4 turnovers, the instant 7 and the easy field position we constantly gave them and do you think we honestly lose this game??
ANNUAL 49ERS NOSE DIVE!!!
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Nes49:

You take back the 4 turnovers, the instant 7 and the easy field position we constantly gave them and do you think we honestly lose this game??

U contain Chris Johnson & his 2TDs...We win this game. That's on the D. As for those turnovers.....Josh let thoses hit his hands.....thats on him As for Alex.....Good Play mixed with Bad play (He stared down Josh) that's on him. So again...Blame across the board.

But Y do this...lets not & fix this for Thursday's Game. Let's take the lesson's from this game & focus on Beating Chicago.