There are 169 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MIDSEASON SUMMARY: POOR TRENCH PLAY

Yes, I know some of you QB boys are going on and on about how horrible Alex or Shaun has been and why one is better than the other and we need a new one, blah, blah, blah. This sounds just as familiar as those who were dying for better receivers and that would suddenly make the team better while many of you said "we can address the lines in the 4th round."

Your chickens have come home to roost, I've been saying this since February:

The 49ers season will depend upon play at the LOS, regardless of who they have at the skill positions.

Again, another 1-6 team set an example of when the OL is not even great, just DECENT and you have a couple of good players, you can beat teams that have poor LOS play. What do I mean? Rewind the tape:

Compare how long Young even before scrambling had time to throw to his WR.
Now compare how long ANY of the QBs have had ALL SEASON to throw.

Compare their DE using, abusing and beating our OTs - yes even ones not named Simms. Now compare how our LBs pass-rushers supposedly did the same thing.

TRENCH PLAY. Why don't the 49ers have any turnovers when they really need them against decent teams? Trench play. Why do the 49ers have the worst 3rd down conversion rate in the league? Trench play. Outside of 3 long runs in which he manufactures most on his own, why do the 49ers have problems running? Trench play. Why isn't this bend don't break defense that seem to have lost the ability for big plays? You guessed it - trench play.

This isn't a negative post but I hope one that refocuses the debate on where it needs to be; rather than creating another Hill v Smith thread, or talk about how this one player or that one player is responsible for the team's loss, until this team gets serious about a pass-rusher and protection/run-blocking, it will continue to struggle against teams who can do that.

This isn't about Free Alex or start Hill or "let's see what Davis can do." It's about the turn style on the OL and about the inconsistent pass-rush that has continually haunted this team for years.

For some reason this continues to elude the 49ers.

GOOD, CONSISTENT TRENCH PLAY.

[ Edited by NinerGM on Nov 9, 2009 at 09:12:45 ]
at of the start of the season i thought we needed a new NT, and a legit end to play opposite of Smith.

Franklin has done good, but not consistent enough, i still think we need to rebuild the dline, and get a real pass rush.
Agreed
Poor trench play on offense yesterday but the defensive middle did well. The online just sucks. Part of it is injuries but some of it has to do with STARTERS playing horrible ball.
Well stated.

OTOH, we were (are) thin in the tranches, and 1 or 2 injuries really exposes our lines as the weak point on the team. In the days of NFL parity, few teams can survive key loses in personnel.
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Well stated.

OTOH, we were (are) thin in the tranches, and 1 or 2 injuries really exposes our lines as the weak point on the team. In the days of NFL parity, few teams can survive key loses in personnel.

Trench play has been bad for years. Before Staley was hurt, the 49ers OL was still bad. Baas, Rachal and Snyder have nothing to do with the loss of Staley. Simms has been okay. Rachal has been lost forever, Baas still sucks and Snyder gets beat with the simplest of spin moves.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Yes, I know some of you QB boys are going on and on about how horrible Alex or Shaun has been and why one is better than the other and we need a new one, blah, blah, blah. This sounds just as familiar as those who were dying for better receivers and that would suddenly make the team better while many of you said "we can address the lines in the 4th round."

Your chickens have come home to roost and every season and I've been saying this since February:

The 49ers season will depend upon play at the LOS, regardless of who they have at the skill positions.

Again, another 1-6 team set an example of when the OL is not even great, just DECENT and you have a couple of good players, you can beat teams that have poor LOS play. What do I mean? Rewind the tape:

Compare their DE using, abusing and beating our OTs - yes even ones not named Simms. Now compare how our LBs pass-rushers supposedly did the same thing.

TRENCH PLAY. Why don't the 49ers have any turnovers when they really need them against decent teams? Trench play. Why do the 49ers have the worst 3rd down conversion rate in the league? Trench play. Outside of 3 long runs in which he manufactures most on his own, why do the 49ers have problems running? Trench play. Why isn't this bend don't break defense that seem to have lost the ability for big plays? You guessed it - trench play.

This isn't a negative post but I hope one that refocuses the debate on where it needs to be; rather than creating another Hill v Smith thread, or talk about how this one player or that one player is responsible for the team's loss, until this team gets serious about a pass-rusher and protection/run-blocking, it will continue to struggle against teams who can do that.

This isn't about Free Alex or start Hill or "let's see what Davis can do." It's about the turn style on the OL and about the inconsistent pass-rush that has continually haunted this team for years.

poor trench play only on the offensive side of the ball. the dl has been great this year.
I 100% agree with this thread!

Good news.... we have two first round draft picks this year. I say... one for the OL and one for the DL. Pick up a RT and a DE. Then a guard in the 2-3 round.
Excellent post! Totally agree. The BS philosopy that we can get quality linemen in 4-7 rounds has been proven a failure. Sure, there are gems to be found in those rounds but for the most part it's luck. There are excellent receivers, QB's and every other position in the later rounds. Just not a lot of them and it's almost complete luck to get one.

We must get top tier linemen for our offense to run and pass. I hope MC-SING gets 2-3 in this draft. If we do then we don't have to worry about the line for a number of years.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
at of the start of the season i thought we needed a new NT, and a legit end to play opposite of Smith.

Franklin has done good, but not consistent enough, i still think we need to rebuild the dline, and get a real pass rush.

Just FYI. Franklin is probably going to the Pro Bowl this year. Every announcing team has mentioned his solid play and that he is one of the top, if not THE top NT in the league right now.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Your chickens have come home to roost and every season and I've been saying this since February:

Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

Just FYI. Franklin is probably going to the Pro Bowl this year. Every announcing team has mentioned his solid play and that he is one of the top, if not THE top NT in the league right now.

Exactly it hasn't been the d line play it's been the fact that Manny and Parys stink at pass rushing. They need to consider 2 new OLB's.
Your post is wrong, it should read poor trench coaching.

Smiley, Kosier, and Harvey Dahl all sucked it up for the 9ers. They go to other teams.

Smiley0- makes the highlihgt reel weekly with the dolphins and will be in the pro bowl

Kosier- stater

Dahl- cut, now starter at Guard with Falcons, could have kept Dahl and drafted Desean Jackson..
Originally posted by 9erred:
Your post is wrong, it should read poor trench coaching.

Smiley, Kosier, and Harvey Dahl all sucked it up for the 9ers. They go to other teams.

Smiley0- makes the highlihgt reel weekly with the dolphins and will be in the pro bowl

Kosier- stater

Dahl- cut, now starter at Guard with Falcons, could have kept Dahl and drafted Desean Jackson..

So how is this wrong? Whether is poor personnel moves or poor coaching doesn't it equal poor trench play? And the examples you cite only can mean a number of things - those teams have the expertise to DEVELOP those players and we don't - STILL means, we may need a more finished product coming out of the draft. Regardless, we need better talent, better coaching - better freaking trench play.

[ Edited by NinerGM on Nov 9, 2009 at 10:02:14 ]