There are 52 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

the defense didnt stop titans when it had to--this is a team loss

you guys that think this was a team loss are delusional... Smith had 4 turnovers. ATL was a team loss, but this one was ALLLLL QB. Go back and give Hill the playcalling that Smith got today, and let's see what might have changed. I love how our coaching gimped Hill (although I am not saying he is that good) and then changes gameplans completely for Smith. Smith has yet to make one throw that Hill could not do...
Originally posted by BrianGO:
The simple fact is, the only thing we were missing today, was top notch quarterbacking.

Our O-line gave him plenty of time.
Our receivers were wide open most of the day.
Our play calling did not create three n' outs like it usually does.

This one is on the quarterback.

He stares the receivers down before throwing the ball. Obviously he is not scanning the field. He runs out of the pocket too soon. He's just not that good.

We have to compare our quarterbacks to others in the NFL, and who is Smith better than? Think hard.

If he is not better than most, then he is not good enough.

In this league, without a top quarterback, its very tough to get to the playoffs, let alone win any games once you get there.

You better believe we need to draft a quarterback, and have him and Nate Davis battle and see if either can make an impact at this crucial position.

I don't know what game you were watching but none of this is true. Some of you guys are so hell bent on blaming Smith for everything that you have lost all sense of reality. There were plays that Alex did not even get back to his the final step in his drop before people were in his face. The line did not even create a pocket most of the game. If you cannot see that this is the worst line this team has had in at least 30 years you are just another ignorant fan that wants to pin all of the blame on the easy target. Smith did not play well but neither did his line or receivers. There were multiple drops and apparent poor efforts on the part of his receivers. The one pick was totally on Alex, the other two off of tipped passes, and the fumble while being thrown into the air because his wonderful RT let his guy through. The OP is spot on, this is a team loss.

Other then the OP, no one wants to call out our D for allowing Young to move the ball on us all day. I am sorry but when you have a deep pass that is a jump ball, if the receiver comes down with it you have to make sure that he leaves the field because of it. Young made our seconday look like a bunch of HS kids. Their O moved the ball on our D all day long. Our boys on both sides played pretty uninspired the entire second half.
Originally posted by kdogg:
No, I thought the defense played tough considering the speed of RB & QB. Harrylson missed tackle cuz of Johnson's ridiculous speed. More importantly, the D, O, & Special teams feed off each other. Defense isn't really inspired trotting back onto the field after another TO.

Yeah, the D played tough. They took advantage of a QB that was only starting his second game of the season, took away the run to make him win the game, and cause all kinds of turnovers by this Young QB.

Not the game I watched. Other then playing the run respectable, the D allowed this Offense that has struggled all year to walk all over us. I don’t know how you can scheme so well against arguably the best QB in football but when you are facing a Young QB he is able to pick your team a part. Hmmm, go figure, yeah this is all on Alex
STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR 24 POINTS DUE TO TURNOVERS BY OUR QB. For Christ sake, our own HC just said as much. His throws were late, and half his incompletion were overthrown? We are bad for the same reason 90% the teams in the NFL are bad...WE DO NOT HAVE A FRANCHISE QB. Look at the teams that do: Colts, Pats, Steelers, Saints, Chargers, Packers, Vikings, Giants, etc.

Here's a test, go back and see how good the Steelers OL was last year. It was one of the worst in the league statistically. Now, Roethlisberger holds the ball too long at times, but he makes the plays he needs in order to win the game. In a nutshell, they won the SB with a piss poor offensive line and great defense. We have a good defense, a piss poor OL and two horrible QB's. AGAIN, PLEASE STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR HILL AND/OR SMITH EVERY WEEK!!!

Statistically speaking, the chances of Smith becoming a better than average QB is slim. That is not an opinion, but historical fact. Certainly, there are exceptions, but right now Alex Smith does not look to be one of those exceptions. If you want fans to stop harping on him, then I suggest he play much, much, better. Every 49er fan wants to win, and every single fan prays Smith plays well. 'Cause if he doesn't we may be looking at another 3 to 5 years without making the playoffs.

I'm sorry to say it but this team in general stinks. There is nothing that we can consistently ride with this team. Our defense is un-opportunistic. They never make a big play or cause a game changing turn over. The offense is a joke. Alex Smith locks on to one receiver even before the snap. God forbid he makes a read or go to his 2nd or 3rd option. I swear if I see him with another 2 step drop quick release to the TE or Fullback running a 1 yard out again I am going to put my foot through the TV! Sing is in over his head. This season is a loss. We need a lot of work before we will be any good. The list starts with GM, HC, O-coord, QB, O-line, pass rush and better safety play.
Originally posted by DaNiners:
STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR 24 POINTS DUE TO TURNOVERS BY OUR QB. For Christ sake, our own HC just said as much. His throws were late, and half his incompletion were overthrown? We are bad for the same reason 90% the teams in the NFL are bad...WE DO NOT HAVE A FRANCHISE QB. Look at the teams that do: Colts, Pats, Steelers, Saints, Chargers, Packers, Vikings, Giants, etc.

Here's a test, go back and see how good the Steelers OL was last year. It was one of the worst in the league statistically. Now, Roethlisberger holds the ball too long at times, but he makes the plays he needs in order to win the game. In a nutshell, they won the SB with a piss poor offensive line and great defense. We have a good defense, a piss poor OL and two horrible QB's. AGAIN, PLEASE STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR HILL AND/OR SMITH EVERY WEEK!!!

Statistically speaking, the chances of Smith becoming a better than average QB is slim. That is not an opinion, but historical fact. Certainly, there are exceptions, but right now Alex Smith does not look to be one of those exceptions. If you want fans to stop harping on him, then I suggest he play much, much, better. Every 49er fan wants to win, and every single fan prays Smith plays well. 'Cause if he doesn't we may be looking at another 3 to 5 years without making the playoffs.

Look, I have not seen anyone say that Alex played great. What the OP and a few other objective people are saying is that this was a team loss. No one looked very good. Gore played pretty good considering the line gave him nothing to run through, most of his yards were after being hit. Alex being a part of this team contributed to this loss but when a D allows a score off of every TO, the D has to take some of the heat as well. On a 4th and 1, an option play should not have resulted in a TD. That is unacceptable. Josh Morgan had how many passes go through his hands? The one pass was right on target but he missed it. Bruce, well they took him out of the game because of his drops. This team struggled the entire second half…… Alex and the team looked pretty good the first half…….. doesn’t the fact that we did not counter their adjustments on either side of the ball also put a lot of this on the coaching?

BTW, the Packers franchise QB (part of your list) threw 3 pick yesterday in their loss to the hapless Bucs……. Just saying.
Harylson also lost contain on that long run in the 3rd that was reviewed. He had a terrible game.

He and Morgan stood out to me as people who played terribly.
I seem to recall the 49ers going on a 10 minute drive (starting at the 5 min mark in the 3rd, ending the 10min mark in the 4th), only to have the defense turn around and give up an 81yd TD run to CJ, have it get called back, and let them score anyways.

Btw, that was the TD that put the Titans ahead for good, and it had nothing to do with the offensive turnovers.

Smith's play hurt in this game, but the defense hurt just as much.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by hofer36:
haralson didnt make the play he had to make when titans pitched wide on 4th and 1---not an easy play but one that i'd hope he could make, as niners win imo if they stop titans there

and the defense just let titans march downfield after niners went ahead 20-17

again not much of a pass rush today...no turnovers forced

im sure many will want to pin loss on alex smith and jimmy raye but in truth the team lost the game

all of robinson's kickoff returns looked the same, it was like watching the same play over---he got it out to 25-30 but damn i would love to see a kickoff threat...hell bring back the beerman michael lewis...nedney's on side kick was poorly executed

adam snyder has not done well at right tackle this year--the fumble was on him more than alex smith

alex smith certainly deserves alot of blame too...i still maintain the niners have their qb in smith, some of the throws were just a hair late...but the play to hill at end of 1st half was a beauty....keep in mind that he really is just in his 2nd or 3rd year as far as actual playing time...aaron rodgers threw 3 picks today and kurt warner had 5 picks last week..the 2nd pick was the worst throw, the last looked like interference on morgan...he could have hit gore for score on that long drive of over 9 minutes in 2nd half if he had put a little air under the ball and lopped it over the defender (it looked like no one was behind gore)

the receivers, save and for jason hill seemed uninspired today..crabtree had the tooth issue

i liked when raye opened up things with the reverse to morgan and the direct snap to gore, but they needed more gore runs today...the screen pass to gore early on was a great call...defenses have figured out norris up the gut on 2rd and short, but i liked the guts to go for it on 4th down, though pitch to gore almost failed..ironically, if niners kick field goal they have more time at end to try to get back in game

vernon davis was all pro today---irony or irony seeing him pull morgan out of a fight to keep niners from drawing a penalty

willis played all out and showed great speed running down johnson a few plays

im disappointed but encouraged about how close niners are to being a really good team

I agree with your breakdown , it seems to me that Raye is either passing or trying to run there is no mix , he called his best game to date IMO but even still a little more Frank would have been good
This is not a team loss. This is an Alex Smith loss. Same old Alex. Three picks. Two fumbles. Five turnovers.

Count them: FIVE. Not three Alex Smith apologists: FIVE.

I swear. Are some of you on the Alex Smith payroll? It certainly does seem so. It's the only reason why apologists can post utterly ridiculous statements like "this was a team loss," when it was clearly another Smith Screwup Special.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
This is not a team loss. This is an Alex Smith loss. Same old Alex. Three picks. Two fumbles. Five turnovers.

Count them: FIVE. Not three Alex Smith apologists: FIVE.

I swear. Are some of you on the Alex Smith payroll? It certainly does seem so. It's the only reason why apologists can post utterly ridiculous statements like "this was a team loss," when it was clearly another Smith Screwup Special.

We're up 20-17, just had a 10 minute drive (great rest for the defense) and they responded by letting the Titans drive the length of the field for a TD (after getting lucky and having an 81yd TD run overturned).

That had nothing to do with any one of Smith's turnovers. That was the TD that put the Titans in the lead for good.

A defensive stop there and we're in good position to win the game.

Both Smith's turnovers and the defense cost us this game, it was a combined effort.
Originally posted by King49er:

Agree, very upset about this team loss. Time to get ready for da Bears.
Really, Morgan and Harrelson stood out to you as people who had terrible games? Are you kidding? Do you really like Smith that much to make a statement that absurd? God, there are more fans of Smith than there are Niner fans on the site. I wonder if I go to the Raiders site will I actually find people defending Russell as well. Smith's numbers actually looked a lot like an average Russell day. It was that bad.

ONE MORE TIME -

OUR OWN COACH PINNED THIS GAME ON THE QB! GANNON PINNED THIS GAME ON THE QB! NFL NETWORK IS PINNING THIS GAME ON SMITH! OUR QB ACCOUNTED FOR 24 POINTS OFF OF TURNOVERS! NONE OF THOSE BALLS WERE CATCHABLE AND THE LAST ONE WAS NOT PI, BUT A GREAT DEFENSIVE PLAY. GANNON STATED DURING THE GAME THAT HIGH PASSES AND LATE THROWS ACCOUNT FOR MOST OF THE INTERCEPTIONS IN THE NFL. SMITH HAS A PROPENSITY FOR DOING BOTH THOSE THINGS. ALWAYS HAS.

Also, please, please, please don't compare Smith to Rodgers. Anyone who knows anything about football will tell you that Rodgers has the hands-down worst OL in football. Injuries have decimated that line all year. Rodgers threw for 4000 yards in his first full season last year. As a life-long Cal fan, I prayed nightly that the Niners would take the better player in Rodgers, but they didn't and now we suck.

I predict this team is going to win 4 more games and be rewarded with two top 15 draft picks. Lucky us. You guys want optimism, provide me something I should be optimistic about besides Vernon Davis.

Originally posted by DaNiners:
Really, Morgan and Harrelson stood out to you as people who had terrible games? Are you kidding? Do you really like Smith that much to make a statement that absurd? God, there are more fans of Smith than there are Niner fans on the site. I wonder if I go to the Raiders site will I actually find people defending Russell as well. Smith's numbers actually looked a lot like an average Russell day. It was that bad.

ONE MORE TIME -

OUR OWN COACH PINNED THIS GAME ON THE QB! GANNON PINNED THIS GAME ON THE QB! NFL NETWORK IS PINNING THIS GAME ON SMITH! OUR QB ACCOUNTED FOR 24 POINTS OFF OF TURNOVERS! NONE OF THOSE BALLS WERE CATCHABLE AND THE LAST ONE WAS NOT PI, BUT A GREAT DEFENSIVE PLAY. GANNON STATED DURING THE GAME THAT HIGH PASSES AND LATE THROWS ACCOUNT FOR MOST OF THE INTERCEPTIONS IN THE NFL. SMITH HAS A PROPENSITY FOR DOING BOTH THOSE THINGS. ALWAYS HAS.

Also, please, please, please don't compare Smith to Rodgers. Anyone who knows anything about football will tell you that Rodgers has the hands-down worst OL in football. Injuries have decimated that line all year. Rodgers threw for 4000 yards in his first full season last year. As a life-long Cal fan, I prayed nightly that the Niners would take the better player in Rodgers, but they didn't and now we suck.

I predict this team is going to win 4 more games and be rewarded with two top 15 draft picks. Lucky us. You guys want optimism, provide me something I should be optimistic about besides Vernon Davis.

Since losing for some of you must lead to utter hatred, I am sure that it is easier to hate one guy then to hate the team. I understand, hatred blinds one to any and all objectivity.

Was it Smith who allowed the Titan’s previously anemic passing attack to move the ball all day long? Was it Smith that allowed an option play on a 4th and 1 go for a TD? Was it Smith who allowed a Young QB to beat him Deep? Was it Smith who allowed balls to go right through his hands and into the hands of another? Also, this same Gannon stated that timing is something that needs to develop. I am not trying to defend Smith. He had a terrible second half. Nor, have I seen anyone saying that Smith played great but damn neither did the rest of the team. Why is it that no one is angry at the D for allowing this previously pathetic offense to score on every TO and move the ball with apparent ease?

BTW, if you guys are going to bring Rodgers into the mix, and ignore his performance yesterday and allow excuses (his line) and not allow that explanation for Alex is shortsighted. I would contend that our Oline is as bad if not worse then the packers and just as decimated with injuries.
Ok, I will see you all at next years draft when we are forced to take yet another QB in the first round. Go Niners!

PS: You Smith lovers (not Niner fans) should listen to KNBR this morning. What are they saying, you ask? NO MORE SMITH EXCUSES!