LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

My thoughts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I've been lurking the zone for a while. I would post something once in a while if I feel like it but most of the time, I'm here to just read/browse the site regarding niners, NFL and pretty much everything (Parking Lot).

We've all seen what Alex Smith can do and he had his moments (Seattle game in 2006, 4 fourth quarter comebacks, etc. to name a few). I want to see him succeed and wish him all the best but I don't think he is the answer to our QB situation. You can say all the excuses you want but there is no denying that he is just not a good QB. He is back to the Alex Smith we all remember from his rookie year - fumbles, interceptions, locking on receivers, inaccurate. You can argue that the interceptions are not all his fault but it is what it is - Turn Overs. I don't see urgency at all, and I don't see any fire in his eyes. He seems scared all the time for whatever reason. You can also argue that we should give him time because he was out or not playing for almost two years, but Vince Young did alright. They are in a very similar situation. When VY is focus to just playing football, he is a winner. It is such a frustrating time to be a niner fan right now. I am not jumping the ship, I am just frustrated.

I say we give Nate Davis a shot to see what we have in him. Our season is lost and we will not make the playoff unless Kurt Warner suffer some serious injury in his next game and is out for the rest of the season. If Nate Davis is the future, we can use those two first round pick to get a stud safety and OL. We can then fill the other spots, pass rusher, backup RB, more OL, etc. Just my two cents.
Originally posted by ianna:
I've been lurking the zone for a while. I would post something once in a while if I feel like it but most of the time, I'm here to just read/browse the site regarding niners, NFL and pretty much everything (Parking Lot).

We've all seen what Alex Smith can do and he had his moments (Seattle game in 2006, 4 fourth quarter comebacks, etc. to name a few). I want to see him succeed and wish him all the best but I don't think he is the answer to our QB situation. You can say all the excuses you want but there is no denying that he is just not a good QB. He is back to the Alex Smith we all remember from his rookie year - fumbles, interceptions, locking on receivers, inaccurate. You can argue that the interceptions are not all his fault but it is what it is - Turn Overs. I don't see urgency at all, and I don't see any fire in his eyes. He seems scared all the time for whatever reason. You can also argue that we should give him time because he was out or not playing for almost two years, but Vince Young did alright. They are in a very similar situation. When VY is focus to just playing football, he is a winner. It is such a frustrating time to be a niner fan right now. I am not jumping the ship, I am just frustrated.

I say we give Nate Davis a shot to see what we have in him. Our season is lost and we will not make the playoff unless Kurt Warner suffer some serious injury in his next game and is out for the rest of the season. If Nate Davis is the future, we can use those two first round pick to get a stud safety and OL. We can then fill the other spots, pass rusher, backup RB, more OL, etc. Just my two cents.

Agree, good post.

I was also hoping that Alex could have resurrected his career, but he looks like the same scared rookie all over again. We need to evaluate Nate Davis, or decide if we'll spend another high draft pick on a QB next year.
  • B650
  • Veteran

I think that "whatever" has something to do with the fact that there are large 300-pound men smacking him around every single play, not giving him any time to make throws. Also, when he does have time, his WRs drop the ball. You look to the sideline to try to calm yourself, and you see your OC sleeping on the bench and Singletary slapping him in the back of the head to wake him up. You'd be pretty scared in this scenario as well.
So far for Alex 6 good quarters 3 mediocre and 1 atrocious. We will see what he can do primetime thursday night.

If he flops he is all done in my book. but once again and i don't know why i am giving some of the blame to just bad luck on the tipped balls for int's.

I am not saying he played well but for myself i want one more full game to see how he is really playing.

After thursday i will make my final decision on Smith, once a for all .
Free alex, im supporting him till he isnt iin a niners uni.
The best thing that happened yesterday was that Bruce didn't play the 2nd half. This gave us a chance to see Hill and he made the most of his time. Now we need to bench Morgan and let Brandon Jones play. Morgan and an old Bruce just don't scare anybody. we need go get some life into the receiving and stop using Bruce just as a tribute to a great career.
  • cgida
  • Veteran
Originally posted by B650:

I think that "whatever" has something to do with the fact that there are large 300-pound men smacking him around every single play, not giving him any time to make throws. Also, when he does have time, his WRs drop the ball. You look to the sideline to try to calm yourself, and you see your OC sleeping on the bench and Singletary slapping him in the back of the head to wake him up. You'd be pretty scared in this scenario as well.

Please tell me you are joking!!
Originally posted by B650:

Better offensive line means a lot for a QB. Just look at some of the top QBs in the league when there oline sucks. Also, the defense gave up 34 points!! You can't blame all of that on the turnovers.
Putting Davis in would be the same thing as giving up on the year. The Niners aren't out of the hunt yet.

If anything, Davis should stay on the bench until the last two games of the season to see if Smith can turn it around. In the last two games the Niners play the Lions and the Rams, and would be better "test games" for Davis, rather than throwing him into the fire with a suspect offensive line.

Give Smith until the last two games of the year.

[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Nov 9, 2009 at 08:43:21 ]

I don't post alot either..but I'm always here viewing...but I have to agree with you. I really hoped for Smith but it doesn't look like he is the answer...you would think the kid would get a break after all he has been through...but 5 TO?!?!?...I mean that is ridiculous..I had to make sure it was Smith in there and not JTO. I really hope we don't have to draft another QB...because I'm frightened that we might have to go through another 5 yrs of this nonsense... I am tired of losing!!...will we ever break out of this horrible stint...omg...every week it feels like we're on our way to victory and then...everything just turns...it's like a curse

Well honestly, i think between the lines, this is a bring in Davis thread. Thought we were done with this one
Originally posted by ktate14:

I don't post alot either..but I'm always here viewing...but I have to agree with you. I really hoped for Smith but it doesn't look like he is the answer...you would think the kid would get a break after all he has been through...but 5 TO?!?!?...I mean that is ridiculous..I had to make sure it was Smith in there and not JTO. I really hope we don't have to draft another QB...because I'm frightened that we might have to go through another 5 yrs of this nonsense... I am tired of losing!!...will we ever break out of this horrible stint...omg...every week it feels like we're on our way to victory and then...everything just turns...it's like a curse
the way we start games on O and D, is usually somewaht ok. How we play in the 3rd and 4th is garbage.. coaches arent making adjustments.. then we get exploited.
Share 49ersWebzone