LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Singletary gave up 34 points today

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Yes, Singletary is trying...but my whole point is, I don't see "it" in him. "It" being the ability to recognize the best talent, best coaches, put them together to form a winning team. Agree, we have holes, but so do most teams. How many of them make up for it is to find ways to close-out/win games. You do whatever it takes...and so far, I don't see Singletary as having that ability whatsoever. Getting furious after yet another frustrating loss isn't good coaching...it's just letting your emotions get carried away. That's not to say he shouldn't be upset...no head coach likes to give games away, but when "furious" starts to become your mantra, well, that's a sign of trouble.

Yeah, I agree. He seems to do his best work after the game. How about show us what you have in the 4th quarter?

To be honest though, I put most of the blame on Jimmy Raye and the OL.
Jimmy called a good game today .
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:
Originally posted by B650:
Yes, Singletary is trying...but my whole point is, I don't see "it" in him. "It" being the ability to recognize the best talent, best coaches, put them together to form a winning team. Agree, we have holes, but so do most teams. How many of them make up for it is to find ways to close-out/win games. You do whatever it takes...and so far, I don't see Singletary as having that ability whatsoever. Getting furious after yet another frustrating loss isn't good coaching...it's just letting your emotions get carried away. That's not to say he shouldn't be upset...no head coach likes to give games away, but when "furious" starts to become your mantra, well, that's a sign of trouble.

Yeah, I agree. He seems to do his best work after the game. How about show us what you have in the 4th quarter?

To be honest though, I put most of the blame on Jimmy Raye and the OL.
Jimmy called a good game today .

Really, did he? Why, because we passed the ball 51 times? Anyway, I'm talking about the entire season here. I think he's cost us a couple games. Maybe he didn't call a horrible game yesterday, but it wasn't great either.

Is that what it's come down to nowadays? If our OC doesn't look like a complete monkey, we should be happy?
I haven't even seen the game...but, I can tell you Singletary was out-coached...again. Forget that Tenn came into the game 1-6...real football fans know and understand they're a much better team than that. They haven't played like it, save the last two games, but this team was 13-3 last year. Jeff Fisher is one of the top head coaches in the game...so, it should be no surprise he could coach circles around Singletary.

Coaches directly contribute to what their players do via game plans, game/clock management, what players are on the field, etc. No, Singletary didn't throw those three picks...but he allowed 51 pass attempts. Not exactly what you'd call a balanced offense, something he's been adamant about. Not the "gradual change" he and Raye spoke about just this past week. Coach has said he'd get Brooks on the field more...and guess what, Haralson again stunk things up and Ahmad didn't get on the field much. So, that's on Coach. After the game, Coach was furious...and while I understand some of that, it's becoming his mantra, and that's not a good thing. Top-flight coaching is what'll cure losses, combined with good player execution. I don't think we're getting that, and I don't see it in Singletary's future.

No, actually this one goes mostly on the players. I am not a fan of the coaching, and will never defend Raye, but they didn't coach Alex into 4 turnovers. That first fumble he had was pathetic, and only a REAL quick reaction by Gore kept us from losing it. They didn't coach Morgan into dropping balls either. We put the ball in the air a lot, the players had the opportunities - just didn't execute. There were still a couple of plays Raye called that I didn't like at all, but a lot less than previos weeks.

The defensive gameplan was pretty solid. When you have a running threat like CJ and Young in the backfield, it's hard to defend against both.

Special teams looked like a mess though. Brandon Jones at PR? He looked completely lost out there. Maybe putting someone out there with a sign that said "Endzone is ---->" would have been helpful. Has he ever even returned punts before? I don't think he has in the NFL, but I never watched him in college. Robinson and Coffee at KR? There's a breakaway threat duo! You know you're in trouble when your best field position is hoping the ball goes into the endzone so you can take a touchback.

[ Edited by RDB4216 on Nov 9, 2009 at 06:29:53 ]
Mark me down with Mex. HC inexperienced, gets outcoached frequentl; supposedly not an Xs and Os guy, but lack of any time as DC or OC leaves him...well vulnerable to being outcoached, game after game. OC, wow what can i say, except it is no secret why he was available. DC? Hmm, last week, kept Manning from throwing a TD, then allows a RB to pass for one on an option play. This week, allowed a 50% completion QB to pass at will on us, and also allowed Vince to walk into endzone on 2 qb draws. Our DC completely resurrects Vince's career. Unfortunately he is on our payroll.

Wow! OL coach? Who could possibly put into words how bad he is? OB coach? should have every play that goes in to alex end with, "and don't look down your receivers". Also QB coach should have been working with alex before and after practice, learning to not stare at his receivers, and just for grins, where is that "pump fake" that peyton,Eli, Brady, Rothlisberger all use? It is extremely effective, and i cannot remember seeing our QBs use that in 7 yrs.

DL coach? Everybody knew chris johnson was coming, yet we didn't seal off the edges. Why? He should be fired. DB coaches? Do we even have one? Because if so, he needs to be fired for failing in his job.

ST coach---ah, there's a beaut. On first scoring series, alex is walking off field, ST coach is talking to someone, Nedney is talking to someone, and FG team is standing on sidelines. Nedney rushes onto field, kicks FG, but because we not only couldn't get play in on time, we couldn't entire FG unit on field in time, so Nedney has to kick again. That was so awful it was embarrassing. Fire ST coach, and his boss, HC.

LB coach? How could anybody ruin p-52? Willis would make any LB coach look good. And then the capper. We don't have a guy who goes out and acquires/ drafts great talent. Hell, Saints are starting 3 rookies, and all are fantastic. Same for Falcons who were doormats until good people at top were hired. GM is outta his league, way over his head as GM. He would be a good talent evaluator, but as GM, give him an F.

Well, that about settles it for coaches, GM, and makes a great case for a HOFO, or director of football ops, like parcells, pioli, wolf, loomis, etc. We desperately need that guy, because that is what it will take to turn this team around after 8 yrs of the Yorks. Jed? You gotta be kidding. Best thing he can do is make scot a scout and hire a HOFO. Personally i don't think he is smart enough to do something like that. He just likes to "hang" with bigMike, and scot.

Summary: fire 'em all, start over, but get that HOFO here who knows all the players and coaches in the league, is respected by all of them, and let him build this team. Took New Orleans 1 yr to build a team and Atlanta, 2 yrs. We are now 8 yrs into being a laughingstock doormat. We need better talent...a lot better...and then we need the best coaches to coach them up. We don't have either.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by danimal:
I don't know about ya'll, but it has been a long time since I saw someone run backwards into the endzone and just straight embarass a defense.

Just between Roddy White and Chris Johnson themselves eliminates the Niners to be thought of as a top 10 type of Defense.

Yeah can't argue there , let's add Justin Gage looking like Jerry Rice on bombs from Vince Young are you kidding me? How is it this team can play Minn, Indy tough and drop games like this that they should win IMO
I don't know about ya'll, but it has been a long time since I saw someone run backwards into the endzone and just straight embarass a defense.

Just between Roddy White and Chris Johnson themselves eliminates the Niners to be thought of as a top 10 type of Defense.

Are you talking about the Johnson TD that was eventually called-back and spotted at the 40?
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Are you talking about the Johnson TD that was eventually called-back and spotted at the 40?

Yes. That was very embarrassing; I was embarassed for the defensive players on that one; and I think Willis was one of them
Originally posted by Mex49:
Power running and a strong D, that is what he said.

Can we fire him now ...PLEASE

I watched the hole game, and rewatched parts of it, and can't find any plays where Singletary donned a helmut and went out on the field.

Can you provide me a link to where he is on the field playing?
Singletary never stepped on the field today, hence, he didn't give up anything.
Share 49ersWebzone