Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by norcal49er864:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
play calling was good, execution was poor. All around on the offense, the excecution was poor, from smith, to snyder, to morgan.

The only guys who did well were VD, Gore, Crabs to a certain extent, and hill.

Do give props to Simms as well.

I was happy with noodle arm and the conservative play calling...it atleast gave us a chance to win. we aren't talented enough to "open" it up

are you serious? Playing duckball was boring, and frustrating, we never made it anywhere, except the 3 drives per game where hill decided to man up.

Funny thing is that "duckball" worked for this team. When he was playing well he was limiting the turnovers and provided enough play to win or get us in a position to win.
Duckballs effectiveness got worse and worse each week, teams saw the blueprint to beat us, applied it.. and we werent getting yards or points, and it was starting to expose our defense more and more.

Don't forget that conservative bs.. lost the game for us against the vikings, and kept it closer than it should have been against the cards..

Duckball had us at 3-1 with a lucky pass away from 4-0. We lost 1 game bad against a good team coming off a bye week and we gave up on the whole plan. Didn't even let Hill Finish the Houston game. Duckball would have won the game today...guaranteed...no way hill and duckball would have lost to the 1-5 Titans.

WRONG.

Duckball had us at 3-3, with a stagnant offense that couldn't generate more than 50 yards in one half.

Can't blame the 3rd loss on him he didn't even get to finish the game. He didn't create Turnovers and that could mean everything for a team that relies on it's D to win. Turnovers are killers...it's what cost us against a 1-5 Tennessee team.

That's because he didn't deserve to finish the game. Houston was killing us and it was because of Hill's inability to do anything positive. He played possibly the worst game of his career against Atlanta, then he comes out after a bye week (he spent most of his time fishing) and backs that beautiful performance against Atlanta up with another horrendous performance. It was time for him to go. Alex isn't Drew Brees, but at least the offense is moving the ball. Hill will never win a Super Bowl. He doesn't have the talent. He'll never be able to increase his arm strength. If Alex learns how to cut down on his turnovers however, we could possibly have our QB of the future. We at least need to find out if he is this season. Alex should be starting. Alex is starting. It's time for the fans to stop whining about it and accept it.

All the Hill supporters who are bashing Smith, do you realize that Alex just threw for 286 yards and 2 TDs? When was the last time Hill had anywhere near that? Yes, he had 3 INTs, but 2 of those weren't really his fault. Plus, he's still young and learning. You can't expect him to go out and play flawlessly every single game. Some of you just need to be patient. If that's too hard for you, go root for the Patriots or something.

wow...how many times have I read that before....its like a broken record....was anything left out?

Smith has 1 more TD than Hill does, in half as many games. He threw for 286 yards against the Titans. When was the last time Hill did that? I'm not saying Smith is flawless. He can't turn the ball over 4 times every game and expect to keep his job and nobody will support him if that's what ends up happening. The fact of the matter is that Hill is too limited and it was painfully obvious that a change had to be made. Now all we can do is hope that Smith figures out a way to play smarter and avoid turnovers. His OL might want to help him out a bit too, considering he's only 25. What's the point of arguing about this every single game? Hill is not the long term answer anyway, so we might as well find out what we have in Smith. We'll at least be able to tell if we need to draft a QB next season.

It was knee jerk reaction by Sing to switch QB's after 6 games when we were still .500 that will go down as the reason why we lost this season. Alex didn't save anything, won't save anything. We should have given Hill the chance to play at the very least until the midpoint of the season before we startd getting statistic desperate. Sing F'd up...
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by norcal49er864:
play calling was good, execution was poor. All around on the offense, the excecution was poor, from smith, to snyder, to morgan.

I was happy with noodle arm and the conservative play calling...it atleast gave us a chance to win. we aren't talented enough to "open" it up

are you serious? Playing duckball was boring, and frustrating, we never made it anywhere, except the 3 drives per game where hill decided to man up.

Funny thing is that "duckball" worked for this team. When he was playing well he was limiting the turnovers and provided enough play to win or get us in a position to win.
Duckballs effectiveness got worse and worse each week, teams saw the blueprint to beat us, applied it.. and we werent getting yards or points, and it was starting to expose our defense more and more.

Don't forget that conservative bs.. lost the game for us against the vikings, and kept it closer than it should have been against the cards..

Duckball had us at 3-1 with a lucky pass away from 4-0. We lost 1 game bad against a good team coming off a bye week and we gave up on the whole plan. Didn't even let Hill Finish the Houston game. Duckball would have won the game today...guaranteed...no way hill and duckball would have lost to the 1-5 Titans.

WRONG.

Duckball had us at 3-3, with a stagnant offense that couldn't generate more than 50 yards in one half.

Can't blame the 3rd loss on him he didn't even get to finish the game. He didn't create Turnovers and that could mean everything for a team that relies on it's D to win. Turnovers are killers...it's what cost us against a 1-5 Tennessee team.

That's because he didn't deserve to finish the game. Houston was killing us and it was because of Hill's inability to do anything positive. He played possibly the worst game of his career against Atlanta, then he comes out after a bye week (he spent most of his time fishing) and backs that beautiful performance against Atlanta up with another horrendous performance. It was time for him to go. Alex isn't Drew Brees, but at least the offense is moving the ball. Hill will never win a Super Bowl. He doesn't have the talent. He'll never be able to increase his arm strength. If Alex learns how to cut down on his turnovers however, we could possibly have our QB of the future. We at least need to find out if he is this season. Alex should be starting. Alex is starting. It's time for the fans to stop whining about it and accept it.

All the Hill supporters who are bashing Smith, do you realize that Alex just threw for 286 yards and 2 TDs? When was the last time Hill had anywhere near that? Yes, he had 3 INTs, but 2 of those weren't really his fault. Plus, he's still young and learning. You can't expect him to go out and play flawlessly every single game. Some of you just need to be patient. If that's too hard for you, go root for the Patriots or something.

wow...how many times have I read that before....its like a broken record....was anything left out?

Smith has 1 more TD than Hill does, in half as many games. He threw for 286 yards against the Titans. When was the last time Hill did that? I'm not saying Smith is flawless. He can't turn the ball over 4 times every game and expect to keep his job and nobody will support him if that's what ends up happening. The fact of the matter is that Hill is too limited and it was painfully obvious that a change had to be made. Now all we can do is hope that Smith figures out a way to play smarter and avoid turnovers. His OL might want to help him out a bit too, considering he's only 25. What's the point of arguing about this every single game? Hill is not the long term answer anyway, so we might as well find out what we have in Smith. We'll at least be able to tell if we need to draft a QB next season.

It was knee jerk reaction by Sing to switch QB's after 6 games when we were still .500 that will go down as the reason why we lost this season. Alex didn't save anything, won't save anything. We should have given Hill the chance to play at the very least until the midpoint of the season before we startd getting statistic desperate. Sing F'd up...

The OL is what f'd up. You can't blame Singletary for benching Hill. The guy isn't productive, especially considering how bad the OL is. With Hill in there, you just have to rely on your defense and run game. Guess what? We have no run game and our defense is collapsing. Hill isn't the right guy for this team. He'd be a good fit in Baltimore or something. Smith is able to make more plays because of his talent. He also has more upside. The decision to start Smith is a no-brainer.
I thought the offense definitely looked better with the caveat being the obvious turnovers. Pick your poison; Conservaball with no offense due to a terrible Oline or keep it open and score points with the possibility of turnovers.

We don't have the horses up front, we have QB's that just plain struggle, what are we to do? Bench Smith and bring back Hill? I don't think that solves the problem. Smith can hang the ball off just as well as Hill so I don't see why, plus once in a while Smith can make a pass that Hill can't. All in all though we are in trouble in some fashion.

I say we stay the new course. We have nothing to lose now.
OH GOD I'M HEARING THE WORD "UPSIDE" again..

that word has haunted me since 05.
  • B650
  • Veteran

I was right about Vernon Davis still having upside. Everyone around here was labeling him a bust, but it's clear that the guy has talent and just needed to be involved in the offense. Fans like you just give up easily. I bet if we draft a QB next season and start him, he has one bad game and you'll conclude that he's a bust. Gotta love 49ers fans.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
I thought the offense definitely looked better with the caveat being the obvious turnovers. Pick your poison; Conservaball with no offense due to a terrible Oline or keep it open and score points with the possibility of turnovers.

We don't have the horses up front, we have QB's that just plain struggle, what are we to do? Bench Smith and bring back Hill? I don't think that solves the problem. Smith can hang the ball off just as well as Hill so I don't see why, plus once in a while Smith can make a pass that Hill can't. All in all though we are in trouble in some fashion.

You will see the turnovers by QB dwindle...which might be enough for this team to win. With Alex the "Team" has to recover from his mistakes.

Thank you.

Bringing back Hill does NOTHING.

-9fA
  • B650
  • Veteran

You will see the turnovers by QB dwindle...which might be enough for this team to win. With Alex the "Team" has to recover from his mistakes.

We were 3-3 with Shaun Hill, despite him not turning the ball over. That's fine, if you're happy with 8-8 and another lost season. He already had his chance. We didn't win. Time to move on. With Hill, the team had to recover from his lack of ability. With Smith, the team has to recover from him making mistakes. What's the difference? Either way, we're screwed, right? Except for one thing: Hill will never improve as a QB, but Smith just might grow and avoid turning the ball over as much. Imagine that: a QB who doesn't turn the ball over, like Shaun Hill, but can actually move the chains and make defenses pay. That would be nice.

Any questions?
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A

Wow , I don't see how they were beating ATl, Houston with the Noodle King and they couldn't run for crap all year except for 3 big runs by Frank , so yeah turnovers sucked but 27 points should have been plenty to beat Tenn., and I think this new style of O makes them able to run and pass and keep the other team guessing, Semolina Sam was not freaking anybody out

Agree, stay the new course & maybe watch this offense grow & maybe just explode at some point.

I was right about Vernon Davis still having upside. Everyone around here was labeling him a bust, but it's clear that the guy has talent and just needed to be involved in the offense. Fans like you just give up easily. I bet if we draft a QB next season and start him, he has one bad game and you'll conclude that he's a bust. Gotta love 49ers fans.

no not really...I defended Vernon as well....felt the team didn't really give him a chance to get in a groove to catch passes on a consistent basis during live games..

with Alex, i have always felt that he was the wrong choice since day one....but was open to the possibility that here is a smart young kid who is athletetic and played well in college.....but then the product on the field was horrible....ok fine....lets give him some players around him.....still was not playing well...let alone like a 1st overall draft pick....ok fine it is time to realize that he may not play like a franchise qb and he was just chosen #1 because of the circumstance....ok fine.....but he still struggles to be a good QB that can help his team win....

then is allowed to come back this season....I felt he would be a distraction and he was better off playing some where else where he can start of fresh, with maybe better coaching.....too many bad memories here for him...and it can still affect him on the field, especially playing at home.............but he was brought back...didn't play too well in preseason.....then he was brought in to start after we struggled a couple of games.......now he is the 49er starting QB and he has my full support....but I'm not going to forget how he use to play.....all I can hope is he improve from where he was.......ever since he came back as the starter...the fact is he has thrown an INT......and missed throws on key situations......and then yesterday was just ridiculous....he was GIVEN 2 CHANCES to drive down field and help this team win.....2! and he threw costly INTS on BOTH occasions.....not too many QBs have a chance at a second chance to redeem themselves after a cost pick THAT LATE INTO the 4th Qtr....

WTF am I suppose to feel?....I have seen this before....am I suppose to be in denial and just hope everything works out?....reality is reality.
  • B650
  • Veteran

no not really...I defended Vernon as well....felt the team didn't really give him a chance to get in a groove to catch passes on a consistent basis during live games..

with Alex, i have always felt that he was the wrong choice since day one....but was open to the possibility that here is a smart young kid who is athletetic and played well in college.....but then the product on the field was horrible....ok fine....lets give him some players around him.....still was not playing well...let alone like a 1st overall draft pick....ok fine it is time to realize that he may not play like a franchise qb and he was just chosen #1 because of the circumstance....ok fine.....but he still struggles to be a good QB that can help his team win....

then is allowed to come back this season....I felt he would be a distraction and he was better off playing some where else where he can start of fresh, with maybe better coaching.....too many bad memories here for him...and it can still affect him on the field, especially playing at home.............but he was brought back...didn't play too well in preseason.....then he was brought in to start after we struggled a couple of games.......now he is the 49er starting QB and he has my full support....but I'm not going to forget how he use to play.....all I can hope is he improve from where he was.......ever since he came back as the starter...the fact is he has thrown an INT......and missed throws on key situations......and then yesterday was just ridiculous....he was GIVEN 2 CHANCES to drive down field and help this team win.....2! and he threw costly INTS on BOTH occasions.....not too many QBs have a chance at a second chance to redeem themselves after a cost pick THAT LATE INTO the 4th Qtr....

WTF am I suppose to feel?....I have seen this before....am I suppose to be in denial and just hope everything works out?....reality is reality.

I know. I feel your pain, but at the same time, I realize that he's still young. Being 25 is young for a QB, and that's if you've played every game in your career. He missed 2 seasons basically, so you could almost say that he's still 23. Not many young QBs have early success. Eli Manning didn't start playing well until his 4th or 5th season.

I'm not happy with Smith's performance, but I'm being realistic as well. He's better than anyone else we have on the roster right now, so I have no choice but to support him, hope he grows, and ends up being a good QB.