LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Open up the offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by Hopper:
One playcall that had me shocked was a running play to Michael Robinson on first and goal. I mean seriously, that is a ridiculous playcall in the redzone with the game hanging on the line.

Very reminiscent to the Zona meltdown of 08'!

everyone loved that play in '06 when norv used it and Mrob flattened Dawkins. 'Course, robinson hasn't shown the same thing since then.
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
yeah...we definitely did open up the offense today and became a passing team.....

45 pass attempts vs. 20 run attempts

I thought the play calling was decent today.

but of course..people here will still blame Raye for "not opening it up"

The playcalling was actually good today. We had the fewest 3 n' outs we have had all season. The offense looked good for most of the day.

The O-line blocked well too, in both the run and pass.

The limitation this team has is with its quarterbacking, this game brought that limitation out into the light and clear as ever.

Smith has the ability to make throws, but he also consistently misses a bunch of throws. He stares down most of his receivers and many of his throws are late. He has talent, but the bottom line is, he's just not that good of a football player; as much as we all wish it weren't true.
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
play calling was good, execution was poor. All around on the offense, the excecution was poor, from smith, to snyder, to morgan.

The only guys who did well were VD, Gore, Crabs to a certain extent, and hill.

Do give props to Simms as well.

I was happy with noodle arm and the conservative play calling...it atleast gave us a chance to win. we aren't talented enough to "open" it up

are you serious? Playing duckball was boring, and frustrating, we never made it anywhere, except the 3 drives per game where hill decided to man up.

Funny thing is that "duckball" worked for this team. When he was playing well he was limiting the turnovers and provided enough play to win or get us in a position to win.
Duckballs effectiveness got worse and worse each week, teams saw the blueprint to beat us, applied it.. and we werent getting yards or points, and it was starting to expose our defense more and more.

Don't forget that conservative bs.. lost the game for us against the vikings, and kept it closer than it should have been against the cards..

Duckball had us at 3-1 with a lucky pass away from 4-0. We lost 1 game bad against a good team coming off a bye week and we gave up on the whole plan. Didn't even let Hill Finish the Houston game. Duckball would have won the game today...guaranteed...no way hill and duckball would have lost to the 1-5 Titans.

I love how people make statements that they can't prove.

-9fA
One playcall that had me shocked was a running play to Michael Robinson on first and goal. I mean seriously, that is a ridiculous playcall in the redzone with the game hanging on the line.

it wasnt a bad call just piss poor execution. Raye opened up the playbook. Turnovers killed us.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by miked1978:

it wasnt a bad call just piss poor execution. Raye opened up the playbook. Turnovers killed us.

Considering Robinson didn't have one carry the whole game, that was a a very bad playcall.
play calling was good, execution was poor. All around on the offense, the excecution was poor, from smith, to snyder, to morgan.

I was happy with noodle arm and the conservative play calling...it atleast gave us a chance to win. we aren't talented enough to "open" it up

are you serious? Playing duckball was boring, and frustrating, we never made it anywhere, except the 3 drives per game where hill decided to man up.

Funny thing is that "duckball" worked for this team. When he was playing well he was limiting the turnovers and provided enough play to win or get us in a position to win.
Duckballs effectiveness got worse and worse each week, teams saw the blueprint to beat us, applied it.. and we werent getting yards or points, and it was starting to expose our defense more and more.

Don't forget that conservative bs.. lost the game for us against the vikings, and kept it closer than it should have been against the cards..

Duckball had us at 3-1 with a lucky pass away from 4-0. We lost 1 game bad against a good team coming off a bye week and we gave up on the whole plan. Didn't even let Hill Finish the Houston game. Duckball would have won the game today...guaranteed...no way hill and duckball would have lost to the 1-5 Titans.

WRONG.

Duckball had us at 3-3, with a stagnant offense that couldn't generate more than 50 yards in one half.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by norcal49er864:

WRONG.

Duckball had us at 3-3, with a stagnant offense that couldn't generate more than 50 yards in one half.

Can't blame the 3rd loss on him he didn't even get to finish the game. He didn't create Turnovers and that could mean everything for a team that relies on it's D to win. Turnovers are killers...it's what cost us against a 1-5 Tennessee team.
  • B650
  • Veteran

WRONG.

Can't blame the 3rd loss on him he didn't even get to finish the game. He didn't create Turnovers and that could mean everything for a team that relies on it's D to win. Turnovers are killers...it's what cost us against a 1-5 Tennessee team.

That's because he didn't deserve to finish the game. Houston was killing us and it was because of Hill's inability to do anything positive. He played possibly the worst game of his career against Atlanta, then he comes out after a bye week (he spent most of his time fishing) and backs that beautiful performance against Atlanta up with another horrendous performance. It was time for him to go. Alex isn't Drew Brees, but at least the offense is moving the ball. Hill will never win a Super Bowl. He doesn't have the talent. He'll never be able to increase his arm strength. If Alex learns how to cut down on his turnovers however, we could possibly have our QB of the future. We at least need to find out if he is this season. Alex should be starting. Alex is starting. It's time for the fans to stop whining about it and accept it.

All the Hill supporters who are bashing Smith, do you realize that Alex just threw for 286 yards and 2 TDs? When was the last time Hill had anywhere near that? Yes, he had 3 INTs, but 2 of those weren't really his fault. Plus, he's still young and learning. You can't expect him to go out and play flawlessly every single game. Some of you just need to be patient. If that's too hard for you, go root for the Patriots or something.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by B650:

WRONG.

That's because he didn't deserve to finish the game. Houston was killing us and it was because of Hill's inability to do anything positive. He played possibly the worst game of his career against Atlanta, then he comes out after a bye week (he spent most of his time fishing) and backs that beautiful performance against Atlanta up with another horrendous performance. It was time for him to go. Alex isn't Drew Brees, but at least the offense is moving the ball. Hill will never win a Super Bowl. He doesn't have the talent. He'll never be able to increase his arm strength. If Alex learns how to cut down on his turnovers however, we could possibly have our QB of the future. We at least need to find out if he is this season. Alex should be starting. Alex is starting. It's time for the fans to stop whining about it and accept it.

All the Hill supporters who are bashing Smith, do you realize that Alex just threw for 286 yards and 2 TDs? When was the last time Hill had anywhere near that? Yes, he had 3 INTs, but 2 of those weren't really his fault. Plus, he's still young and learning. You can't expect him to go out and play flawlessly every single game. Some of you just need to be patient. If that's too hard for you, go root for the Patriots or something.

Hill is 10-5 as a starter...Alex is 11-21 as a starter. I don't love his noodle arm but Hill doesn't throw games away...That IMO is more important that statistics.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
this has happened before..... don't yall remember when the "FREE ALEX" campaign hit Nolan...hell he even echoed what some of the fans were saying on here...that we needed to "unleash" Alex.....and then we did......same results.

Youre correct. The only problem is now we will go back to conservaball. Thats the problem. NO CONTINUITY. Of course players will suck when we finally open up the play book unless we do it MORE often. One or two weeks isnt going to get the desired results like Madden.

I think Kevin Lynch said it best...
Quote:

This game really surprised me. I thought Alex Smith would have outplayed Vince Young, but thatclearly didn't happen. The offense is just out of sync. Too many linemen, too many new receivers and new quarterbacks. Say what you will, but I think this team is still better trying to throw. I was talking to Gary Plummer early, who I really respect, and he said he was so stunned how quickly Michael Crabtree has caught on. He said he basically went from the baby stroller to the freeway of the NFL. But now the newness for Crabtree, for Smith, for Jimmy Raye is just catching up with this team. But I also don't believe the answer is to go back to being conservative. They should keep pushing, and keep evolving.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=51239#ixzz0WLSKsGTD

Look bottom line is look at the 2nd quarter. When we play to our players strengths, they do well. Unfortunately, it doesnt happen over night. And it is frustrating. I'm right there with you man. I'm sick of all the excuses and the waiting, rebuilding, etc etc etc etc but we are where we are. We have the players we have. The coaches just need to figure out how to make the MOST of the players we have. We see the best in them when they are spread out and Alex has time to throw. He's not so good when we are bunched up and he has 1 second to throw.

But either way...its make or break and we gotta get it done.

Great post! This offense is slowly coming together & when it does in this spread out offense it will be great to watch. But for now we must go thru the growing pains in mid-season not the off-season. We will be ok.

WRONG.

wow...how many times have I read that before....its like a broken record....was anything left out?

[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 9, 2009 at 13:29:49 ]
  • B650
  • Veteran

WRONG.

Hill is 10-5 as a starter...Alex is 11-21 as a starter. I don't love his noodle arm but Hill doesn't throw games away...That IMO is more important that statistics.

He doesn't throw games away, but we lose them anyway because he doesn't do enough to win them. Now that this team is all banged up and the defense is starting to slip, I really wonder if Hill could really win us another game this season.

He's 30 years old and has no upside. Being 10-5 doesn't mean anything. Nobody cares what he did 2 or 3 years ago against bad teams under different conditions. All that matters is that this season, he was 3-3 and the offense was looking pathetic.

Either way, it doesn't matter who's at QB because if our OL can't block anyone, Hill is going to just put his head down and take a sack, or Smith is going to make bad decisions and fire INTs. Until the OL improves, fans are just going to keep arguing about Hill and Smith, but in the end, it's all a big waste of time.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

WRONG.

He doesn't throw games away, but we lose them anyway because he doesn't do enough to win them. Now that this team is all banged up and the defense is starting to slip, I really wonder if Hill could really win us another game this season.

He's 30 years old and has no upside. Being 10-5 doesn't mean anything. Nobody cares what he did 2 or 3 years ago against bad teams under different conditions. All that matters is that this season, he was 3-3 and the offense was looking pathetic.

Either way, it doesn't matter who's at QB because if our OL can't block anyone, Hill is going to just put his head down and take a sack, or Smith is going to make bad decisions and fire INTs. Until the OL improves, fans are just going to keep arguing about Hill and Smith, but in the end, it's all a big waste of time.

He's 10-5 over the last 15 games he's started...that's the end of last season and the begining of this season. Taking sacks are also better than firing INT's
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:

WRONG.

wow...how many times have I read that before....its like a broken record....was anything left out?

Smith has 1 more TD than Hill does, in half as many games. He threw for 286 yards against the Titans. When was the last time Hill did that? I'm not saying Smith is flawless. He can't turn the ball over 4 times every game and expect to keep his job and nobody will support him if that's what ends up happening. The fact of the matter is that Hill is too limited and it was painfully obvious that a change had to be made. Now all we can do is hope that Smith figures out a way to play smarter and avoid turnovers. His OL might want to help him out a bit too, considering he's only 25. What's the point of arguing about this every single game? Hill is not the long term answer anyway, so we might as well find out what we have in Smith. We'll at least be able to tell if we need to draft a QB next season.
  • B650
  • Veteran

WRONG.

He's 10-5 over the last 15 games he's started...that's the end of last season and the begining of this season. Taking sacks are also better than firing INT's

It depends. If you take sacks and you can't move the chains, what's the difference? I'd rather have a guy who throws 3 TDs and 1 INT every game. At least we have a chance. It's better than 1 TD an 0 INTs every game, and praying that the defense comes up with a score.
Share 49ersWebzone