There are 215 users in the forums

Is Alex REALLY a bust?? Read Ponder Vote...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Alex REALLY a bust?? Read Ponder Vote...

Here we go again....

LOL and if he gets a win in a solid fashion next week u will all be right back on his nuts...
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by pantstickle:
He sucks. I don't care who the other quarterbacks are. Their numbers have absolutely nothing to do with Alex Smith.

Gotta agree with a fellow Mod here.
I don't know that Alex is a bust yet. People forget that he was not playing with the #1 team all season and they expect him to just come out and play like Montana because he had a great 1st game.

Give it time folks.

Oh and yeah...the other QB's have no bearing on Alex's performance...I'm sure we can find a number of QBs with similiar stats that eventually worked their way out of the NFL. Means nothing.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I am going to give Smith his final chance which expires at the end of the season.
From what I saw in the last game ( late throws ) reeks of not being adjusted to the speed of the pro game, which is hard to simulate in practice. I will give him 8 more games to figure it out, if he doesn't he is a BUST.
He's a bust - until he consistently proves himself otherwise.

And when he had not one but TWO chances to pull himself (and the whole team) out of the mediocrity he had been (and the whole team), he did not, could not, do it.

When it's time to make the plays that really really count, he failed -SPECTACULARLY - TWICE!!!!!!! IN A ROW!!! f**k!
Staring down receivers = AS' fault.

Balls bouncing into the air into the defenders' hands = NOT AS' fault. Bad luck and heads up D.
  • Nabisko
  • Info N/A
The Pheonix is still dusting his wings off He will either spread his wings or melt into fire and despair. I have always been a Smith fan, but my judgement will be cast till after The Bears game. I will bow out like a man and name him a Bust.... Then I hope he proves me wrong by proving me right..

[ Edited by Nabisko on Nov 9, 2009 at 10:13:21 ]
I'm still of the opinion that this team needs to keep looking for a good starter, after the muddle through this season trying to make do with what they got.
So far, Alex Smith is a 5th year QB who has lost way more than won.

Shaun Hill, when he came to this team was a 5 year backup and has won more than lost.

However, we can't go back. We need to make sure Alex is a backup at best or if he's a starter. Must keep him starting until halfway through next season. If he's sucking up to that point, then we need to try plan C.
It's amazing how people waffle. The guy throws 3 TDs in a half and they have hope in him, then he throws 3 INTs in a game and they dismiss him again.

Perhaps it is too hasty to make a decision right now? Let's wait till the end of the season, or until he gets benched, before making a final verdict. That would be the wise thing to do.

Alex played decent in the second half against Houston and against Indy and not so well yesterday. Did anyone really expect him to come in after not playing in 2 years and be lights out? He's gonna have his ups and down(going forward, the past is history), so expect good and bad games. I didn't crown him after the Houston and Indy games, and i'm gonna condemn him after the Tennessee game. Just me personally.
Originally posted by dobophile:
Give Alex a decent o-line and he'll be good.

But dude folds like origami when the pressure is on. And he hasn't quite cleaned all the sand out of his vagina.

Thats an assumption. Based on what?

I think his best line was 2006, but they were more of a mauling line as opposed to pass blocking, anyway Alex played OK that year, I have a hard time calling it a good year.

My assumption is that behind an All Pro Pass Protect Line Alex Smith would still be bad or ok most of the time. Based on the fact that I have seen him with protection, and he still throws high and or too late. That ain't gonna change if he had 5 seconds in the pocket
It isn't just about the stats--anyone can watch him play and see that he processes the game too slowly to be very good, especially with a bad OL. He is supposedly brilliant, but he seems to either have bad instincts or lacks the confidence to let the game flow to him and just trust himself.
I know the answer

[ Edited by MadMartz on Nov 9, 2009 at 16:41:17 ]
Alex Smith is the biggest Bust in the NFL in the last 10 years.
Share 49ersWebzone