LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 213 users in the forums

Is Alex REALLY a bust?? Read Ponder Vote...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Alex REALLY a bust?? Read Ponder Vote...

After all the slack jawing about Smith being a bust based on one game(be honest he was not that bad against the Colts), I decided to go poking around for some comparative stats.

These three QBs' who shall be for the time being remain nameless put up either comparable numbers or worse numbers than Alex.

QB1: Posted these numbers in his first two years...

year 1: in 5 games Started 138 passes attempted/ 72 completed/ for 935 yards/ 3 TD and 8 INTs.

Year 2: 13 games Started. 363 passes attempted/ 195 completed/ for 2282 yards/ 8 TDs and 13 INTs.

QB2: Posted these numbers in 3 years...

Year 1: 13 games Started. 218 Attempts/ 83 completed/ 1410 yards/ 6 TDs 24 INTs'.

Year 2: 14 games Started. 373 Attempts/ 203 completed/ 2259 yards/ 13 TDs and 22 INTs.

Year 3: 14 games Started. 308 Attempts/ 147 completed/ 1887 yards/ 12 TD and 12 INTs'.

And QB3: Posted these numbers in 3 years...

Year 1: 14 games Started. 328 Attempts/ 158 Completed/ 2158 yards/ 19 TD and 16 INTs.

Year 1: 14 games Started. 355 Attempts/ 169 Completed/ 2196 yards/ 8 TD and 25 INTs.

Year 3 14 games Started. 376 Attempts/ 193 Completed/ 2550 yards/ 13 TD and 17 INTs.

Now, Alex Smith...

Year 1: 9 G/ 7 Started/ 165 Attempts/ 89 Completed/ 875 yards/ 1 TD and 11 INTs'.

Year 2: 16 games Started/442 Attempts/ 257 Completed/ 2890 yards/ 16 TD and 16INTs.

Year 3: 7 games Started/ 193 Attempts/ 94 Completed/ 914 yards/ 2 TD and 4 INTs'.

I used the numbers from 3 well known QBs' all from their 1st 2 or 3 years in the league. All have had issues with the teams that drafted them.

So you be the Judge is he a bust, or are all of them busts.

I'll post the names of the 3 QBs' in a few days on my profile.

Let the conversation begin.

~Ceadder
No Alex Smith is not bust. This thread is.
To make it more interesting, you should post the record of the teams of these mystery QBs - just curious.
You can compare stats all you want, but those other qbs probably got the ball out a tiny bit faster, or didnt throw high on all short passes.
I think the team's management of players and of coordinators has been a bust. Cmon, no J hill till now?!

As for smith, having basically two missing seasons to injuries leaves a lot of question marks.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
No Alex Smith is not bust. This thread is.

[ Edited by fortyninerglory on Nov 8, 2009 at 21:37:04 ]
Originally posted by horsecore:
To make it more interesting, you should post the record of the teams of these mystery QBs - just curious.

Tampa/ Pittsburgh and New England.

~Ceadder
If you do not think Alex Smith is a bust, you are just not watching the games...I do not care who the other QBs are...and I know one of them is probably Steve Young...

[ Edited by fortyninerglory on Nov 8, 2009 at 21:37:15 ]

Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by horsecore:

Tampa/ Pittsburgh and New England.

~Ceadder

Thank you sir!
Ceaddar -- please get off the stats wagon.

The only stats that matter are wins and losses.

Alex Smith SUCKS.
I think all are busts except for QB1. And if one of the remaining turns out not to be considered a "bust" I would bet he was SURROUNDED by Hall of Famers.

My final note is, sometimes you have to be able to read in between the numbers. Just watch Alex play QB, most rational people would notice he is operating under a different clock that NFL players don't obey. He lacks instincts, I am not aware of a stat for that.

[ Edited by fortyninerglory on Nov 8, 2009 at 21:37:24 ]
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Ceaddar -- please get off the stats wagon.

The only stats that matter are wins and losses.

Alex Smith SUCKS.

I will make sure to post their repsective W/L stats then as well.

So this should be interesting.

I will point out that all 4 QBs' have similar issues. There's really no differences here believe it or not.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Nov 8, 2009 at 21:26:41 ]
Share 49ersWebzone