There are 170 users in the forums

Smith Wasn't As Bad as the Stats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Originally posted by znk916:
How can you make excuses for him when Rich Gannon isn't? He was hammering home the point that Smith kept waiting and throwing late, which meant the db's were all over our receivers when the ball got there, leading to tipped balls and thus the INTs. I'm a Smith apologist, but this was a brutal game for him.

Because all Smith supporters know more than Rich Gannon! ..and oh yea .. that fumble was because someone's head got in the way![/quote

FACT:the WHOLE TEAM sucked today

uneducated statements
  • flow
  • Veteran
Considering a herd of turnstiles were blocking for him, Smith played solidly. (And no, this is not an "Alexcuse": take away home runs by Gore and our rushing average is at or near league bottom.)

Fire Foerster, draft linemen.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:
Considering a herd of turnstiles were blocking for him, Smith played solidly. (And no, this is not an "Alexcuse": take away home runs by Gore and our rushing average is at or near league bottom.)

3 picks and 2 fumbles is not "Solidly"
Originally posted by nickbradley:
1. The Fumble wasn't his fault. Fluke play
WRONG should have tucked up and ran or taken sack, poor ball handling.

2. 1st INT was also a fluke play -- right place, right time by the D I
WRONG Should have looked of safety, instead locked in on receiver, if Alex looks him off safety is still in the middle of the field and ball drops to the ground incomplete.

3. 3rd INT was Morgan's fault -- right place, right time by the D
Wrong, Smith was late with the ball.

Didn't look awesome (of course), but looked good in the 2 min drill (again) and made one big mistake (pick #2).

Our QB gave the other team 24 POINTS TWENTY FOUR POINTS! FREAKING TWENTY FOUR POINTS!!!!!!

O-line didn't help him at all
BULL CRAP, that is a good defensive front and we are banged up at O-line, all and all not great but not bad play in pass protection, Smith is a mobile QB playing behind a below average O-line against an aggressive D, he should have used his legs, but he was to busy throwing picks!

I have said this for some time now "We do not have an NFL QB on this team"

I was hoping that Alex had improved with time on the bench, I was even getting my hopes up, but what I saw today was what I expect from Mr. Smith, great arm great throws and bone head choices coupled with poor ball handling skills, God I hope he can pull his head out of his ass and play better or this will be a long season!
I have been a Niner fan now since 81, I live in Nebraska (Air Force) so I'm stuck watching the games on my big screen. I can honestly say that Alex made 2 bad throws. He was on fire for the first 3 quarters, just needs to learn how to finish. Anyway, what really makes me sick is all the negativity surrounding him. You can almost see him pressing trying to win the fans over. If I were him I would love to play all 16 games on the road where the fans aren't freaking idiots. The only time the home crowd is loud is when they boo Alex. Grow up people, if you love your team stand with them. I especially hated seeing the punks on the Titans talking crap at the end of the game. Niners til I die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:

3 picks and 2 fumbles is not "Solidly"

More like gas inducing.

[ Edited by blunt_probe on Nov 8, 2009 at 17:20:27 ]
Originally posted by Super5:
2. 1st INT was also a fluke play -- right place, right time by the D

Didn't look awesome (of course), but looked good in the 2 min drill (again) and made one big mistake (pick #2).

What about the 2nd fumble?...thank god for gore...it still cost us a possession.

Hill has a noodle arm but he doesn't create turnovers...gives us a chance if the D is playing well. Smith is just going to continue to LOSE games.

Hill can't get first downs or td's and the defense gets worn out because he hardly ever moves the ball

I was going to post stats but I'll leave it with this...we are 3-3 with hill...if you blame the houston game on him even though he didn't get to finish. We are 0-2 under Alex and the short week doesn't look favorable if he is the starter.

Hill's 3-3 is misleading: teams figured Hill out and thus,the losses to ATL and HOU.
He was not getting better he was getting worse and the offense was going absolutely nowhere with him starting so Sing had no choice but to bench him and start Alex.
Alex is 0-2 as a starter but the offense is definitely getting better except for the o-line

Are you his mother? That is the only excuse for this post.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

What about the 2nd fumble?...thank god for gore...it still cost us a possession.

Hill has a noodle arm but he doesn't create turnovers...gives us a chance if the D is playing well. Smith is just going to continue to LOSE games.

Hill can't get first downs or td's and the defense gets worn out because he hardly ever moves the ball

I was going to post stats but I'll leave it with this...we are 3-3 with hill...if you blame the houston game on him even though he didn't get to finish. We are 0-2 under Alex and the short week doesn't look favorable if he is the starter.

Hill's 3-3 is misleading: teams figured Hill out and thus,the losses to ATL and HOU.
He was not getting better he was getting worse and the offense was going absolutely nowhere with him starting so Sing had no choice but to bench him and start Alex.
Alex is 0-2 as a starter but the offense is definitely getting better except for the o-line

Sing said it during his post game press...we were winning because we weren't creating turnovers...Alex is 0-2 because he creates turnovers. Hill is 3-3 because he doesn't. We have a better chance as a team with Hill under center than we do Alex. Teams can win with a strong D and piss poor O...but when turnovers start it becomes impossible.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
We show flashes of brilliance and flashes of stupidity.

And Singletary has yet demonstrated that he can bring consistency out of our team. He's great at talking to the public, and establishing a report with his players.

But if Singletary wants to become a great coach, he needs to make substitutions in the starting lineup and free agency signings to help the team come together.

Example 1: Jason Hill showed why he should be starting over Isaac Bruce AND Josh Morgan. He's not a good practice player, but neither is S. Hill, and Singletary went with him.

Example 2: Yet again, Adam Snyder sucks. We need to sign Jon Runyan and let him rotate with Snyder at RT.

Example 3: Lawson was VERY average today. Why don't you utilize Brooks/Briggs and see what they can do?

He fumbled, thats not a fluke its a fact. It was a fluke how the ball got knocked forward, but thats irrelevant. t was still a fumble.

His first Int was thrown late into double coverage... How was that not his fault?
Yes he was!
he didnt do that bad i mean he did good against the colts and houston lot of teams had bad games today s**t happens and you move on and learn from your mistakes

WE HOWEVER NEED A COMPLETE OVERHAUL OF OUR OLINE
  • jrg
  • Veteran
I agree his interceptions (2 of them) were tipped..but still.

Why do people think tipped INTs are OK, especially ones that are tipped by the DB? The DB tipped it because of a late or bad read.
Share 49ersWebzone