There are 275 users in the forums

Smith Wasn't As Bad as the Stats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
1. The Fumble wasn't his fault. Fluke play
2. 1st INT was also a fluke play -- right place, right time by the D
3. 3rd INT was Morgan's fault -- right place, right time by the D

Didn't look awesome (of course), but looked good in the 2 min drill (again) and made one big mistake (pick #2).

O-line didn't help him at all

I'm with you on this one. Definitely a poor showing, a lot of it was Alex's fault, but everyone has a bad game. The WRs need to fight for the ball more. I do believe all 3 interceptions were tip drills too. You either catch the ball or bat it down. Smith should've only had one interception.

It's not only Smith, other than Frank Gore and Vernon Davis and possibly Heitman, this offense just sucks.

And the defense needs to learn to cause turnovers like in the first part of our season. I can't even remember our last turnover...

~Dann~

Second.

For some reason the webzone loves focusing on the QB but ignores most of the bad play of team.
My observation on Smith..

While some of the INT could have been avoided, he still missed and forced to those situations. Probably the biggest Smith supporter on the board, and Smith needed to step up in the second half, he DIDNT. But, it was a team effort. WRs looked slow off the release, oline was hit or miss, and Smith was late on half his passes.. HOW could we let Tennessee walk with the W..
  • jcs
  • Veteran

Didn't look awesome (of course), but looked good in the 2 min drill (again) and made one big mistake (pick #2).

What about the 2nd fumble?...thank god for gore...it still cost us a possession.

Hill has a noodle arm but he doesn't create turnovers...gives us a chance if the D is playing well. Smith is just going to continue to LOSE games.

Let's see, the fumbles could've gone either way (he's lucky Gore recovered the first one). The second one, even though Snyder got beat, he still held on to it too long.

The first INT, Alex let the ball hang, he didn't release fast enough, thus giving the safety a chance to make a break on the ball, the ball came after Crabtree already turned.

2nd INT, he didn't read the safety, and once again, threw it too late.

3rd pick, the receiver was tightly covered, he shouldn't have thrown the ball, either way, he doesn't get full blame for that one.

Yes, Alex lost us this game.
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
Smiths turnovers resulted in 24 points today. I think that is bad.
This team just isn't very good.

Disappointing, yes.

They aren't horrible, Rams or Detroit style, but they aren't good.

Maybe once they get some sort of offensive line that can block and stop shooting themselves in the foot with undisciplined penalties and bone-headed plays they will be good. Not this year.
  • Pogity
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
right place on D right time??? he doesnt friggin anticipate none of his throws and stares his recievers down!, i thought he was finally back but now i see it was because nobody game planed well against him and now that he became the starter agains the old smith came back to reality after teams started to game plan against him again, same old smith, s**tty s**tty s**tty, time to move on we need a QB and a Oline.

Staring receivers down is the same crap that Hill did. It's the same crap that every NFL, College, or Pop Warner QB does.

You all should watch the games muted, it's less stressful and commentators' opinions (*cough* Rich Gannon) don't screw with your minds.

Alex looked OK. The Titans are a better team than us - plain and simple.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by znk916:
How can you make excuses for him when Rich Gannon isn't? He was hammering home the point that Smith kept waiting and throwing late, which meant the db's were all over our receivers when the ball got there, leading to tipped balls and thus the INTs. I'm a Smith apologist, but this was a brutal game for him.

I wouldn't take too much of what Rich Gannon has to say how many picks did he throw in the SB? ,Smith had a bad day it remains to be seen if Smith gets a new start but I would expect Singletary to go back to the Noodle Arm and we are now the Raiders
You've gotta be kidding me. The interceptions were inexcusable. The three picks plus the fumble would've made J.T. OSullivan proud. And to think that two minute offense with the Titans playing backed off pillow soft zone conceding the short passes was impressive shows you're either a relative of Alex Smith or that you are a dumb football fan. The second half of the Texans game was just a mirage. We have seen this version of Alex Smith before and I dont care to see a rerun of it next year.
Originally posted by Crown:
Let me tell you something about Smith in case your new to the crime scene......

....Smitherception!

Stop the excuses and accept reality.

So its Smith's fault that Morgan failed to catch a pass that hit him in the chest, the ball bounced up in the air, caught by a random defender, and ran back for a TD? You serious?
no its smiths fault he lost us another f**king game.

In the famous words of Ocho Cinco "CHILD PLEASE". Alex Smith is NOT an NFL starting QB. He lacks the intelligence (football wise) to be a field general. He may have the tools but not the awareness. He makes rookie mistakes and news flash, HE IS NOT A ROOKIE ANYMORE. I say give him one more game and then if he bombs go with Davis the remainder of the season to see what you have, if he bombs the rest of the way then you know what u gotta do in the upcoming draft.

Coach Sing had better figure out a way to salvage this season as I believe his job depends on it. Scot McCloughan, you had better hope Coach Sing can turn it around my friend as I believe you too should feel the heat.
2 were tipped balls up in the air but overall Alex didn't play his best today.
Wow enough. Smith played horrible

But he byhimself didnt lose the f**king game for us

the D lost this one, the o, Sing raye and yes willis
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by sincalniner:

Dude I'm with you on this, however you need to go and hide under your bed because all the "smith sucks" crowd is coming for you, NOW!

Smith doesnt suck.

He is also not a true NFL starter.

Get used to it.

Bingo. He is an average QB.

People only say that he suck because that makes them feel better. After all, if he really is that bad, all we need is a good QB and off we go to the SB!

They don't wanna admit that this team is nowhere near as good as they think it is. And I'm talking O, D and ST. We are NOT a playoff team, sorry.

People keep talking about Smith. I'm more concerned about that fact that our D couldn't generate ONE SINGLE turnover today.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ersfan80:
You've gotta be kidding me. The interceptions were inexcusable. The three picks plus the fumble would've made J.T. OSullivan proud. And to think that two minute offense with the Titans playing backed off pillow soft zone conceding the short passes was impressive shows you're either a relative of Alex Smith or that you are a dumb football fan. The second half of the Texans game was just a mirage. We have seen this version of Alex Smith before and I dont care to see a rerun of it next year.

Thank you for pointing that out.

This is the version of Alex we have all seen before.

Can we skip the excuses.

This is over.

A.Smith cannot be the starter on this team...possibly in the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone