There are 258 users in the forums

Smith Wasn't As Bad as the Stats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheChozen:
Originally posted by backontop:
Can't put the tipped balls on Smith but after 4 years in the league, staring down a WR is unacceptable! There's no excuse for that. You mind as well just hand the ball to the defense if your gonna stare down WRs.

that was my point the 4 tipped passes that resulted in 4 INT's are on the WR not Smith. If not for that he would have 1 INT and that is it

I almost can't believe I sit and watched him stare down Josh Morgan and throw that pick. I'm still in disbelief.

That INT was all on Smith. I was like WTF is Hill rubbing off on Smith now. That is something Hill does and something that he wasn't doing.

Oh yeah. I found it funny that Rich Gannon was talking about Smith being late with this throws(he may have been on some) but the INTs bouncing off the WR's hands showed different. I guess the WRs are still used to Hill throwing.

that is the point I was making. When you catch punts for 4 games then go to a QB who can actually throw the ball then it will have an effect.
Can't put the tipped balls on Smith but after 4 years in the league, staring down a WR is unacceptable! There's no excuse for that. You mind as well just hand the ball to the defense if your gonna stare down WRs.

that was my point the 4 tipped passes that resulted in 4 INT's are on the WR not Smith. If not for that he would have 1 INT and that is it

I almost can't believe I sit and watched him stare down Josh Morgan and throw that pick. I'm still in disbelief.

That INT was all on Smith. I was like WTF is Hill rubbing off on Smith now. That is something Hill does and something that he wasn't doing.

Oh yeah. I found it funny that Rich Gannon was talking about Smith being late with this throws(he may have been on some) but the INTs bouncing off the WR's hands showed different. I guess the WRs are still used to Hill throwing.

that is the point I was making. When you catch punts for 4 games then go to a QB who can actually throw the ball then it will have an effect.

That's funny. Its sad but funny, and so true. The ducks fly low when Shaun Hill is in the game.

That's funny. Its sad but funny, and so true. The ducks fly low when Shaun Hill is in the game.

I will never forget that Morgan quote "but coach his passes come down like punts" yea lets put this guy back in as the starter

I will never forget that Morgan quote "but coach his passes come down like punts" yea lets put this guy back in as the starter

I can just hear Morgan now, " Damn coach, I thought I was playing offense, not special teams."

Seriously who knows, it's a big difference between fielding punts and catching normal passes.
No he's actually worse
It's all an illusion.

Alex Smith is playing as good as Manning.
No, Smith wasn't as bad as the stats. You can certainly look at some of the plays and say that the recievers should have made a catch, or that plays were flukes or that the D just made a good, or even great play.

However, that pattern has existed throughout Alex's career. For some reason, he takes 2 steps back for every step forward. It's the main reason Hill even got a chance.

You just can't turn the ball over that much. It doesn't matter whose "fault" it is. This wasn't a fluke game, it is the pattern of his career. Sooner or later, the pattern defines the player.

Just like in the real world, if you have an employee who is always late, eventually it doesn't matter WHY they are late, and if it really isn't their "fault" most of the time. It just isn't acceptable.

Without any, let alone a few or all of those turnovers, we have every chance to win that game. Maybe easily. If he can't figure out how to play turnover free football, no matter whose "fault" it is, then he can't be a starting QB in the NFL.

I can just hear Morgan now, " Damn coach, I thought I was playing offense, not special teams."

At least the "punts" went to the correct team...

Originally posted by TexasNiner:
However, that pattern has existed throughout Alex's career. For some reason, he takes 2 steps back for every step forward. It's the main reason Hill even got a chance.

WTF? Hill got his chance because Alex had a separated shoulder and Dilfer also got hurt. Hill got his 2nd chance because Alex was on IR and JTO was not playing well at all....
What I don't get is why we thre 45 times, we were winning most of the game and Gore was averaging over 5 yards a carry? This is the one game we should have POUNDED THE BALL. The bears will be a turning point in the season either we show up and get back on track or we pack in and get ready for next year.
  • JC49
  • Veteran
Smith needs to look off safeties instead of telegraphing throws. It's that simple. That's just something he has to improve on. He gave us a lot of offense and the passing game got Gore going. If he's still doing it near the end of this season there is a serious problem with his learning curve.
  • dj43
Originally posted by JC49:
Smith needs to look off safeties instead of telegraphing throws. It's that simple. That's just something he has to improve on. He gave us a lot of offense and the passing game got Gore going. If he's still doing it near the end of this season there is a serious problem with his learning curve.

To be accurate, he was not "telegraphing his throws." He telegraphed ONE throw and the safety made a great play to intercept the pass.

In other cases, you could see his head moving as he went through his progression or looked off a DB.
Originally posted by SJniner7:

At least the "punts" went to the correct team...

And came out on time.

Who cares if you have a laser, but always throw the ball late, tips, and INTs, that's what will happen.

Still, I rather see Smith out there than Hill, more exiting, for both teams.
Share 49ersWebzone