There are 80 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex "The Mirage" Smith

A lot of you were waiting for Alex to have any trouble at all so you could jump on him.....We need better blocking up front, seeing Snyder get worked out there is bad.
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Come on guys.. please let Alex got make mistake it but he will learning the mistake and let him serious with process time.. i remember it, Peyton Manning was first rookie when he was many mistake for Ints alot for 1 years then he got change time and he got successful it.. please be patience and watch him to play when alex can serious to learning the process time like Peyton mannin did. The 49ers don't have a qb anythings.. please keep be patients and watch it that let Alex can playing if he got mistake for ints but he got improve the threw it when he will better much and take times. I bet he will delevople it someday!

You are obviously a noob...Alex Smith is not a rookie...he has been in the league for four years...get a clue...
Obviously Alex didnt play well today and took a step backwards again. HOWEVER, there is no way the Niners should go back to Hill as the starting QB. At this point they simply need to play Smith every game the rest of the year and see if he can mature, mesh well with Crabtree ,VD, and Hill, and win some big games. If he cant then the team will know that its imperative to draft a QB in round 1.

If the Niners pull Smith now then they basically will have no QB for next year. Hill is crap and has no chance to start next season. If Smith is pulled out now you might as well write him off forever. I just think that the next 8 games are important to determine the future and the direction this team will go in the draft.
Alex Smith = JT O'sullivan

Seriously, JT looked good throwing the ball down field just like Alex has for most of the time, but it was the costly turnovers that were JT's downfall. Alex is throwing the ball well most of the time, but his turnovers are killing us.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Hill sucks, Alex sucks, let's send Davis out to the lions.

two of the 3 ints not his fault

BULLSH*T!

I'm so tired of people saying this, they were all his fault. His throws were late, allowing a defender to tip it up in the air and pick it off.

I agree they weren't smart throws but I'm pretty sure 2 picks were tipped off the WRs hands the landed in the defenders hands. 3 out of Smiths 5 picks have been tipped ball ints. Two off Crabtree.

It doesn't matter whos fault. The offense needs to get in sync quick. Tipped balls, bad throws, doesn't matter. We are losing. We can dissect it 20 million ways but at the end of the day our entire offense needs to learn to overcome and finish games out.

I mean it's great we aren't getting blown out and we actually have games but this whole not being able to finish crap is 2 games too old

It doesn't matter who the ball was tipped off of. The passes were late so the interceptions are the fault of the QB.

In law there's this thing called the "reasonable person" standard. Lets apply that to WRs. No "reasonable WR" would do anything different in these situations.

At the end of a year, you go back and look at all the interceptions a QB has and you say..."Well he threw X INTs this year." You don't go back and say, "Well gee whiz, he had about 5 of those tipped off a DB, 4 tipped off a WRs hands..." and so on.

You could go back to any QB and eliminate interceptions based on this ridiculous standard. The fact is, a QBs inaccuracy, bad decision making, and bad timing are what causes balls to be deflected the majority of the time.
Until receivers start running clean routes with consistent timing, it will be very hard to evaluate Smith's ability.

Receivers also need to start attacking the ball. The last pass to Morgan that was deflected and then picked, Morgan just sat down and waited for the ball to come to him instead of coming back to it and using his body to shield the defender away from the ball. This may be the result of being young and inexperienced but this is his second year, Sullivan should have him doing a better job on these basics.

The one reception that was clearly Smith's fault was the second one. The first and third were the result of inexperienced receivers not attacking the ball.
Originally posted by dj43:
Until receivers start running clean routes with consistent timing, it will be very hard to evaluate Smith's ability.

Receivers also need to start attacking the ball. The last pass to Morgan that was deflected and then picked, Morgan just sat down and waited for the ball to come to him instead of coming back to it and using his body to shield the defender away from the ball. This may be the result of being young and inexperienced but this is his second year, Sullivan should have him doing a better job on these basics.

The one reception that was clearly Smith's fault was the second one. The first and third were the result of inexperienced receivers not attacking the ball.

Originally posted by Leathaface:

BULLSH*T!

I'm so tired of people saying this, they were all his fault. His throws were late, allowing a defender to tip it up in the air and pick it off.

I agree they weren't smart throws but I'm pretty sure 2 picks were tipped off the WRs hands the landed in the defenders hands. 3 out of Smiths 5 picks have been tipped ball ints. Two off Crabtree.

It doesn't matter whos fault. The offense needs to get in sync quick. Tipped balls, bad throws, doesn't matter. We are losing. We can dissect it 20 million ways but at the end of the day our entire offense needs to learn to overcome and finish games out.

I mean it's great we aren't getting blown out and we actually have games but this whole not being able to finish crap is 2 games too old

It doesn't matter who the ball was tipped off of. The passes were late so the interceptions are the fault of the QB.

In law there's this thing called the "reasonable person" standard. Lets apply that to WRs. No "reasonable WR" would do anything different in these situations.

At the end of a year, you go back and look at all the interceptions a QB has and you say..."Well he threw X INTs this year." You don't go back and say, "Well gee whiz, he had about 5 of those tipped off a DB, 4 tipped off a WRs hands..." and so on.

You could go back to any QB and eliminate interceptions based on this ridiculous standard. The fact is, a QBs inaccuracy, bad decision making, and bad timing are what causes balls to be deflected the majority of the time.

As Steve Young said, every interception is the fault of the QB. The QB has the ball in his hands, makes the decision to throw into the situation. Good QB's don't seem to put themselves into thos bad situatiuons as often.
our whole QB situation makes me sad
Originally posted by dj43:

Oh come on, I think we can evaluate Smith by now, and I think this game represented exactly what Alex is: a mobile QB who makes a couple good throws a game, except for the fact that he turns the ball over too much, hesitates on throws, and looks to check down the ball before looking downfield.
Originally posted by Leathaface:

BULLSH*T!

Thats sort of the point I was making. My only addition was that, like you said, it doesnt really matter. Ints are Ints. Like I said, we can analyze and dissect it all day but as a TEAM, they need to learn to FINISH games. The offense plays awesome for 2 quarters then lays an egg in the second half. Cant keep happening, I dont care who is behind center.
Originally posted by skibeerski:

Seriously, JT looked good throwing the ball down field just like Alex has for most of the time, but it was the costly turnovers that were JT's downfall. Alex is throwing the ball well most of the time, but his turnovers are killing us.

No, No, Alex Smith = Tim Rattay!

Remember him, he was capable of scoring points for his team as well as for the other team ....!

And of course there were die hard Tim Rattay supporters just as Alex Smith has his. So what else is new?

[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Nov 8, 2009 at 22:42:16 ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Come on guys.. please let Alex got make mistake it but he will learning the mistake and let him serious with process time.. i remember it, Peyton Manning was first rookie when he was many mistake for Ints alot for 1 years then he got change time and he got successful it.. please be patience and watch him to play when alex can serious to learning the process time like Peyton mannin did. The 49ers don't have a qb anythings.. please keep be patients and watch it that let Alex can playing if he got mistake for ints but he got improve the threw it when he will better much and take times. I bet he will delevople it someday!

You are obviously a noob...Alex Smith is not a rookie...he has been in the league for four years...get a clue...

Where in that giant mess of a post did he mention that Alex Smith is a rookie? He's just saying that Alex lacks experience, and you're calling him the noob?

Reading Fail.

Actually....IMHO, I think JTO has more accuracy than Smith....
Originally posted by ginseng1000:

Actually....IMHO, I think JTO has more accuracy than Smith....

Oh boy..I predict a wild thread...