There are 167 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers progress/ W or L, playing a good game.

Last week prior to game, i posted that all i wanted was to see us play well: for the OL to block, the QB to perform well, the D to play well, stopping runs and knocking down passes. i did not comment on W or L, because i thot we were overmatched against the best qb in football. As things turned out, we were ahead until late in game, and peyton was prevented from throwing a TD for the first time in memory. Like the Vikes game, we were in it to the end.

The one thing that has broken my heart and been depressing, was for the last 4-5 yrs, every game, somebody on the opposition had a career game against us. During that time frame, we gave up most points, scored fewest points, gave up most sacks, had worst rated D & O in football, (or next to), and invariably, every team that came to town set new personal bests or team bests against us. I had half way decided to finally give up on the 9ers, and support the Oakland Bombers ladies roller derby league. Supporting the 49ers became predictable: new team, new personal best or team bests, and they always occured against us.

Notice how that hasn't happened this yr (ok, maybe a couple of cases---but not much, and certainly not like last yr.) Yes Favre once again killed us, but until last play of game, we had them beat. Same against Peyton. Last yr, those 2 guys would both have had career best games against us.

so, as i always hope before a game, just allow the 9ers to play well, make the game close, and keep it interesting and entertaining. Yes we lost last week, and also to favre, but the point is we are getting better. How is that is possible w/ no O line is amazing, yet, they managed to keep alex from career ending injury, altho there were many blown blocks. On D, the aggressiveness, (also known as blitzing), has made the 9ers more competitive, altho bigmike and manusky twice have gone conservative late in the game, trying to protect a lead, only to lose. Screw that! Best D in last 2 mins is to attack, full blast, and if we lose, well, at least we were trying our best.

The record may not be sterling, but half our losses are to the 2 best teams on the planet right now, and we lost just at the very end in both. THAT is progress. That is what a long time fan can take and still be proud of his team. And that is what has to continue to improve. If so, and we end up 7-9 or 9-7, i will still be happy with our team because they were always in it(except one game), and we could have won 2 of those game with any luck at all. So despite glaring deficencies--OL---we have a competitive team. Can you imagine how good alex might be with a real OL in front of him?

Our future looks bright but our GM is going to have to come thru this next yr and finally, finally, plug the holes...exactly the same ones we had this & last yr. If he does that, we can compete with anyone. If he cannot do that, then we revert to being painful to watch...and he should leave. STill 9 games to go, most way easier than 1st 7, but OL has to be fixed with quick hot passes, and use passing game to set up running game. Our OL isn't good enough now to block well. Jimmyrae has to come thru for us also, which is the only way a poor blocking team has a chance against better talent across the lines.
We have to win this game
I like what ur saying but I have to admit I'm pretty much over moral victories. The Texans loss was about as good as I've felt after a loss in a while. I want to see the 49ers WIN the game. To ATTACK, not to crawl into a shell after getting the lead. Air it out when there's a lead! PA passes, whatever. And yea, if Scot M doesn't draft O-Line this year... He needs to be fired. I cannot fathom how they wouldn't draft O-Line after what we've seen from it this year.

[ Edited by chico49erfan on Nov 8, 2009 at 09:05:27 ]
I'm very happy of the progress of this team. I want us to win this game & attack all day with the offense, defense & special teams. I think the most important part of this game is going to be the coaches! Are we prepared, can we adapt & adjust to what is happening in the game?
Progress? It's been five years which is why singletary isn't afraid to use the hook on players. Win and win now!
Originally posted by Joecool:
Progress? It's been five years which is why singletary isn't afraid to use the hook on players. Win and win now!

I'm with Joe on this one. Win and win now!
  • B650
  • Veteran
Enough with the moral victories. Progress isn't good enough because it's supposedly been happening for 6.5 seasons now. Eventually, you get tired of hearing excuse after excuse. This team HAS to win this game. I don't care how it's done. I don't care if our entire secondary gets hurt and the 49ers sign a bunch of posters from this site sitting in the stands to play, we just need a win. Alex needs a win. The season is on the line today and if we can't beat a 1-6 team at home, consider this another lost season.
The next 5 days could be the whole season for us. Playing well is fine, but the Niners have to show they can win. They have to beat Tenn and Chicago. Nothing less will do. Time to just win.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by Joecool:

I'm with Joe on this one. Win and win now!
The 9ers have to take that next step and win the close games. I've always thought the difference between the good teams and the great teams is that the great ones just find a way somehow to win the close games.
I agree with you as long as we follow up by beating teams that we're suppose to beat. If we lose today there's no progress whatsover just a mediocre that doesn't know how to win.
  • TFSP
Agreed! We have to beat Tenn and with no rest, beat Chi-town. It just has to happen. I didn't wait all off season to see us lose 2 games within 5 days. I want to see a 9er game in January. I just don't(light, inhale, exhale)!

Now, Chris Johnson is even predicting a unimaginable 10 game win. Well, we don't even need that to go to the playoffs. I think we played our hardest games, when it comes to other teams with superb talent on both sides of the ball.

If you a fan, STOP trippin on the O-line, Sing, Jimmy 'Ray-Ray', Alex, I. Bruce, our pass rush, Db's dropping int's(like on madden), Coffee running into our linemen's back, etc, anything to complain about. I'm not watching this game looking for our mistakes to have something to write about next week, or tonight for that matter. I'm watching this game to watch us win. Everybody makes mistakes on any given Sunday, who prevails is the question.

Are you watching the game to watch us win? If you're looking for mistakes, look at yourself. Nobody walks on water. Have some faith, dayumm, and stop b***hin'. I don't care if I'm being personal(light, inhale, hold, exhale).

..... Unlike the previous 5 years.....We will win games...
This was not the kind of game i had in mind. Matter of fact, this was the antithesis...the exact opposite. It was neither exciting nor entertaining. A bad sign was during our first scoring drive,(that should have been a TD try, and ended up a FG), when Alex came off the field, our ST coach was talking to someone, Nedney was talking to someone else, and our HC noted neither was paying attention. The FG unit rushed onto the field, and FG was good...except low and behold, Nedney had to re-kick because of delay of game...our FG team got out on the field too late. That is one guy's and one guy's only fault...our HC. The guys under him aren't doing their job from the OL coach to the ST coach, to the GM, who the HC is supposed to answer to, but i'm not sure that is the case here. Nobody appears to be in charge. It's nothing that yrs of experience wouldn't cure, tho.

That ,guys, is coaching, pure and simple. And it is inexcusably bad. It shows us that the HC isn't together, the ST is really out of it, and the FG kicker was not paying attn. Coaching? What coaching? This is a team with a motivational guy as HC who is learning as he goes. What, instead of him putting in 5,6 , maybe 8-10 yrs as a DC first, the owners and scot expect him to learn how to be a HC before he ever learned how to be a DC? This is just inexperience, and it is awful to have to watch.

This team needs not just motivational speakers, it needs DC, OC, or HC experience...and bigmike has none. That sorry excuse for a game today, with our standard delay of games, offsides, missed blocks, poor calls, getting out thought by the opposing HC...those are all things we are going to have to live with with the current administration. And as for alex, he deserves to go elsewhere where he can learn under a great HC and a great QB coach, a single OC for more than one yr, and a top flite GM...none of which we have.

This sorry excuse today was the embodiment of what is wrong with this team. And yes we lost, but no it was not a game played well, nor coached well. We keep this mgmt from GM down to the lowliest coach on the team, and we are looking at 7 more yrs of this until the current administration leaves. Oh, and do alex a favor and let him go to another team where he gets real coaching. The kid has been ruined by the GM's poor drafts, and the multiple offensive coaches(who truly were offensive), and total lack of his development by qB coaches or hired gun offseason qb coaches(which he didn't have). Jed, you best be thinking of replacements at yrs end...'cause we gonna need 'em. While you're at it, find a HOFO, head of football ops, who can show you how to run and build this team. Your current GM and coaches have failed you.

The highs and lows of this team just cry out for professionalism at the top...and we ain't got it.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
This was not the kind of game i had in mind. Matter of fact, this was the antithesis...the exact opposite. It was neither exciting nor entertaining. A bad sign was during our first scoring drive,(that should have been a TD try, and ended up a FG), when Alex came off the field, our ST coach was talking to someone, Nedney was talking to someone else, and our HC noted neither was paying attention. The FG unit rushed onto the field, and FG was good...except low and behold, Nedney had to re-kick because of delay of game...our FG team got out on the field too late. That is one guy's and one guy's only fault...our HC. The guys under him aren't doing their job from the OL coach to the ST coach, to the GM, who the HC is supposed to answer to, but i'm not sure that is the case here. Nobody appears to be in charge. It's nothing that yrs of experience wouldn't cure, tho.

That ,guys, is coaching, pure and simple. And it is inexcusably bad. It shows us that the HC isn't together, the ST is really out of it, and the FG kicker was not paying attn. Coaching? What coaching? This is a team with a motivational guy as HC who is learning as he goes. What, instead of him putting in 5,6 , maybe 8-10 yrs as a DC first, the owners and scot expect him to learn how to be a HC before he ever learned how to be a DC? This is just inexperience, and it is awful to have to watch.

This team needs not just motivational speakers, it needs DC, OC, or HC experience...and bigmike has none. That sorry excuse for a game today, with our standard delay of games, offsides, missed blocks, poor calls, getting out thought by the opposing HC...those are all things we are going to have to live with with the current administration. And as for alex, he deserves to go elsewhere where he can learn under a great HC and a great QB coach, a single OC for more than one yr, and a top flite GM...none of which we have.

This sorry excuse today was the embodiment of what is wrong with this team. And yes we lost, but no it was not a game played well, nor coached well. We keep this mgmt from GM down to the lowliest coach on the team, and we are looking at 7 more yrs of this until the current administration leaves. Oh, and do alex a favor and let him go to another team where he gets real coaching. The kid has been ruined by the GM's poor drafts, and the multiple offensive coaches(who truly were offensive), and total lack of his development by qB coaches or hired gun offseason qb coaches(which he didn't have). Jed, you best be thinking of replacements at yrs end...'cause we gonna need 'em. While you're at it, find a HOFO, head of football ops, who can show you how to run and build this team. Your current GM and coaches have failed you.

The highs and lows of this team just cry out for professionalism at the top...and we ain't got it.

And, who pray tell, is in charge of this mess???? Who is putting inexperienced or stoopid coaching and GM's in place...the frickin Dorks...they are the ones who ultimately have to go...
bobbi, i agree with you completely, but how can you fire your owners? Best bet and only shot we have is to hire a wolf, pioli, parcells, loomis, the guy in Baltimore or the the HOFO of the Falcons. Anything less and we are going to see 8 more yrs of this...inexcusably, hard to watch, football. I can't even imagine what guys like P-52 or FRank are thinking. It must be hard for them to give their all for a team and coaches that don't.