There are 114 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Shaun Hill as Scout Team QB against the Titans

Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
why not have Nate Davis run the scout offense? Shaun Hill trying to play like V. Young just wont work. V. Young can throw the ball past 5 yards. Singletary use your head

seriously, stfu already, stop bashing the guy, it's really getting old.

How am I bashing the guy? Are you saying he will give an accurate impression of how V. Young plays? Maybe you should get off his nuts and stop crying everytime someone says his name.

Nobody's on his nuts, I just respect that he gave us a football season last year, instead of being 3-13. You guys talk about the guy like he is JTO or Kwame Harris, pretty pathetic.

And too bad Davis probably isn't even faster than Hill.
First of all I agree that they should have selected a guy that can emulate Vince Young and his ability to scramble and get out of trouble. Secondly and more important, I don't think that I wouldn't want to take a chance of having my 2nd string QB injured during practice. Unless of course they playing TOUCH football.

As it is, they are thin on QB's and if Singletary had to pull Alex Smith for any reason, then he's down to playing his untested 3rd String QB.

As much as I like Nate Davis, I don't think that his experience would give the 49er's the best chance of winning the remaining games.

He's (Sing) already made the mistake of using Clements as a punt returner and look at the result! But what do I know other than try to keep your best players as healthy as possible and don't take the chance of getting them injured.

[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Nov 7, 2009 at 10:12:08 ]
why not have Nate Davis run the scout offense? Shaun Hill trying to play like V. Young just wont work. V. Young can throw the ball past 5 yards. Singletary use your head

seriously, stfu already, stop bashing the guy, it's really getting old.

How am I bashing the guy? Are you saying he will give an accurate impression of how V. Young plays? Maybe you should get off his nuts and stop crying everytime someone says his name.

Nobody's on his nuts, I just respect that he gave us a football season last year, instead of being 3-13. You guys talk about the guy like he is JTO or Kwame Harris, pretty pathetic.

And too bad Davis probably isn't even faster than Hill.

Lots of people, even Hill, thought Hill would do better in Sing's conservative offense, but the opposite is clearly true. Still, he did deserve to start the year.

Actually, Smith is most like Young. Tall, strong and sometimes inaccurate arm. Clearly faster than Hill. Obviously, though, Smith needs to spend his time with the Niner offense.

Davis is clearly more elusive than Hill. He has a combination of speed and quickness, plus strength, that gives him escapability. His arm is also obviously more Young-like, seems more accurate, too.

Obviously, Hill is absolutely the worst choice to play Young, but maybe Sing doesn't want Davis to run around in an open offense and embarrass anyone...

Brings up the question as to who gets to be the OC for the opposition! Not Raye.
Shaun Hill is the anti-Vince Young. A slow white boy with no arm, and a good head on his shoulders.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Can't believe this Hill vs. Smith thing is still going on.

All I can say is, if Smith cannot muster up a win vs. Tennessee, get his ass outta there and put Hill back in. I'm happy the guy is playing well, but we need some W's.

I understand what you mean about the Ws situation.....the season is half way done and every game is important......so we need to know if Alex is legit or not soon...

the thing is though...I believe the coaches, like some of the Alex fans on here feel Alex can do the things that Shaun was asked to do and can bring much more..... maybe so....it seems like he can...but can he do it consistently...that is the question..... the team's stubborn strategy is to keep it close until the 4th qtr and win it there with our QB play.....that strategy worked with Shaun for a number of games....but also worked against Shaun as well........ so now Alex, along with the team, has not come through in the 4th qtr like the coaches would want.... I feel we shouldn't have to wait till the 4th qtr to try to win these games...be it with Alex or Shaun...it just puts that more pressure on the QBs and the oline and the offense......it always comes down to the same thing....we try to pass our way down field when the other defense knows we have to pass.....games that have came down to the 4th qtr...well...it worked with Shaun back there against the Cards, Seahawks, and Vikes........so far it hasn't with Alex....but that is only really one game (Colts)...(Texan's one we were lucky to come back because of Alex)....

so lets see how the Titans game goes...as well as the Bears one....we are playing at home......if Alex has costly turnovers then yes the coaches will make the change....if we plays average, they will stick with him....I believe it is already too late to put Shaun back in....the front office gives the impression they if they are going to go down (another season ) it will be with Alex....just to give him one more chance.

edit - this all being said....I expect Alex to play well these next 2 games....like I said before, if he cuts back on mistakes in the middle of the field....and runs for positive yardage when our WRs are covered....then I think he will do VERY well.....it would be very hard to stop us if this were the case.

Your posting style..... reminds me of someone......I think it was lvtent.......who kept breaking up his sentences.......with bundles of full stops....never knew......why he did it

very bad habit...........to shake.

All I can say is, if Smith cannot muster up a win vs. Tennessee, get his ass outta there and put Hill back in. I'm happy the guy is playing well, but we need some W's.

I understand what you mean about the Ws situation.....the season is half way done and every game is important......so we need to know if Alex is legit or not soon...

the thing is though...I believe the coaches, like some of the Alex fans on here feel Alex can do the things that Shaun was asked to do and can bring much more..... maybe so....it seems like he can...but can he do it consistently...that is the question..... the team's stubborn strategy is to keep it close until the 4th qtr and win it there with our QB play.....that strategy worked with Shaun for a number of games....but also worked against Shaun as well........ so now Alex, along with the team, has not come through in the 4th qtr like the coaches would want.... I feel we shouldn't have to wait till the 4th qtr to try to win these games...be it with Alex or Shaun...it just puts that more pressure on the QBs and the oline and the offense......it always comes down to the same thing....we try to pass our way down field when the other defense knows we have to pass.....games that have came down to the 4th qtr...well...it worked with Shaun back there against the Cards, Seahawks, and Vikes........so far it hasn't with Alex....but that is only really one game (Colts)...(Texan's one we were lucky to come back because of Alex)....

so lets see how the Titans game goes...as well as the Bears one....we are playing at home......if Alex has costly turnovers then yes the coaches will make the change....if we plays average, they will stick with him....I believe it is already too late to put Shaun back in....the front office gives the impression they if they are going to go down (another season ) it will be with Alex....just to give him one more chance.

edit - this all being said....I expect Alex to play well these next 2 games....like I said before, if he cuts back on mistakes in the middle of the field....and runs for positive yardage when our WRs are covered....then I think he will do VERY well.....it would be very hard to stop us if this were the case.

Your posting style..... reminds me of someone......I think it was lvtent.......who kept breaking up his sentences.......with bundles of full stops....never knew......why he did it

Those....are pregnant pauses.... Depending on your education level... they can be extremely useful.... to give the reader.... time to catch the gist of your idea.

Stephen King uses them quite a bit.So maybe Afrikan is lvtent and they are... Stephen King?

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Shaun Hill is the anti-Vince Young. A slow white boy with no arm, and a good head on his shoulders.

Ouch.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by redrathman:

And what makes Nate Davis more qualified to run the scout team offense, aside from your exaggerated view of Shaun Hill's arm?

The fact that Nate Davis can probably portray Vince Young better than Shaun Hill. Nothing other than that. Some people just can't let go that Hill isn't that starter anymore. Davis has a stronger arm and is more mobile, so therefore he can portray Vince Young better than Hill.

Nate Davis more mobile?

Nate Davis averaged 167 yards rushing per season at Ball State.

Shaun Hill was on pace to rush for 186 yards this season.

Scout.com marks 'Running Ability / Mobility' as an area of improvement for Davis.

Arm strength is arbitrary in running the scout team. It's important for Hill to run through the Titan's sets to ready the team for formations and shifts. He isn't there to complete passes or throw down field.

Based on Nate Davis' progression in learning even the 49ers offense, I'd have a hard time believing he'd be an adequate scout team Quarterback at this point in time.

Ummmmmm Davis could throw the ball further, so if you take THAT into account (and you should) you would notice that because he could his rushing yards WOULD be less at the College level with more downfield threats on the team. Of course it would eat into whatever rushing yards he compiled.

Also Shaun Hill was on PACE for that many yards. Doesn't mean he would have GOTTEN that many. Besides running for your life is not the same as Scrambling. Just a subtle difference.

And I don't give a flying truck in space who runs the practice squad. So long as they give an adequate representation that enables our Defense to squash some Vince Young into the turf.

Gotta admit though Shaun Hill and Vince Young are worlds apart.

One thing though the Coaching staff sends the plays in by standing within walking distance. So it stands to reason that when they huddle up the Coach with the plays shows it to them so they don't have to memorize the play just their part. So any QB could run it so long as their teammates remember THEIR responsibilities. It's not like running 1st team drills.

Oh yeah also they do film study and when they run the plays they run them at walking pace 1st and THEN full speed. Davis' learning disability shouldn't even be an issue. Seems to me that Davis also picked up our playbook fairly well from his performances in Preseason.

~Ceadder

Oh yeah I knew there was a reason why I came back to this thread.

For those of you who seem to think that it takes NFL Experience to run the scout team and that Nate is hamstrung by his learning disability I would like you to refer to either the latest Steve Young show or the interview with MB on KNBR. November 4th I believe. To wit... one of them states that the 2nd team Offense is directed by the position coaches and they use cards to show the QB the play they want run. Steve DID state that Alex was carving up the Defense in the Opposing role. Maybe that's why our Defense couldn't keep us in the games... ?

j/k I gotta at least try to make lite of the Losses or I'll never get over them.

So now....(homage to Afrikan an lvtent).... who is better suited to run the Opposing Offense? Shaun? Really?

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Esco:

f*ck you reggie
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

-9fA
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:
IMO: Michael Robinson should be playing Vince Young.

Yeah exactly. they should have had robinson play vince young.
  • B650
  • Veteran

I don't follow the logic that if we don't beat Tennessee, Hill should be put back in because we need wins. Was Hill winning? Last time I checked, we had a 3-3 record with him, and the offense was getting worse and worse. The offense looks totally different now with Smith in there, and by the way, football is a team sport. Alex is doing a fine job, and I believe he should remain the starting QB for the remainder of the season.

[ Edited by B650 on Nov 8, 2009 at 00:59:41 ]
Originally posted by B650:

I don't follow the logic that if we don't beat Tennessee, Hill should be put back in because we need wins. Was Hill winning? Last time I checked, we had a 3-3 record with him, and the offense was getting worse and worse. The offense looks totally different now with Smith in there, and by the way, football is a team sport. Alex is doing a fine job, and I believe he should remain the starting QB for the remainder of the season.

Agreed.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:

Agreed.

Exactly. You don't take a working component out when it's another part that is the problem. Shaun was NOT working and it was obvious to anyone except the staunchest of Smith haters. Though I admit that some of them were leaning toward Nate instead of Alex to replace Shaun.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:

Agreed.

Exactly. You don't take a working component out when it's another part that is the problem. Shaun was NOT working and it was obvious to anyone except the staunchest of Smith haters. Though I admit that some of them were leaning toward Nate instead of Alex to replace Shaun.

~Ceadder

Some of our dear brothers in the Zone maintain a grip on reality that is at best tenuous to say the least.