LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

Shaun Hill as Scout Team QB against the Titans

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Would have been funny to see though.

-9fA

[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Nov 6, 2009 at 15:46:50 ]
  • TFSP
Just 7 secs slower. BUT foreal, thanks S. Hill. You are trying to help us win.
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by backontop:
why not have Nate Davis run the scout offense? Shaun Hill trying to play like V. Young just wont work. V. Young can throw the ball past 5 yards. Singletary use your head

And what makes Nate Davis more qualified to run the scout team offense, aside from your exaggerated view of Shaun Hill's arm?

The fact that Nate Davis can probably portray Vince Young better than Shaun Hill. Nothing other than that. Some people just can't let go that Hill isn't that starter anymore. Davis has a stronger arm and is more mobile, so therefore he can portray Vince Young better than Hill.
why not have Nate Davis run the scout offense? Shaun Hill trying to play like V. Young just wont work. V. Young can throw the ball past 5 yards. Singletary use your head

And what makes Nate Davis more qualified to run the scout team offense, aside from your exaggerated view of Shaun Hill's arm?

The fact that Nate Davis can probably portray Vince Young better than Shaun Hill. Nothing other than that. Some people just can't let go that Hill isn't that starter anymore. Davis has a stronger arm and is more mobile, so therefore he can portray Vince Young better than Hill.

Nate Davis more mobile?

Nate Davis averaged 167 yards rushing per season at Ball State.

Shaun Hill was on pace to rush for 186 yards this season.

Scout.com marks 'Running Ability / Mobility' as an area of improvement for Davis.

Arm strength is arbitrary in running the scout team. It's important for Hill to run through the Titan's sets to ready the team for formations and shifts. He isn't there to complete passes or throw down field.

Based on Nate Davis' progression in learning even the 49ers offense, I'd have a hard time believing he'd be an adequate scout team Quarterback at this point in time.

Nate Davis more mobile?

Scout.com marks 'Running Ability / Mobility' as an area of improvement for Davis.

Arm strength is arbitrary in running the scout team. It's important for Hill to run through the Titan's sets to ready the team for formations and shifts. He isn't there to complete passes or throw down field.

Based on Nate Davis' progression in learning even the 49ers offense, I'd have a hard time believing he'd be an adequate scout team Quarterback at this point in time.

I have already admitted to not knowing a lot about the guy. So I was under the impression his mobility was superior to that of Hill based on what I saw during the little I saw of preseason.

Nate Davis more mobile?

Ummmmmm Davis could throw the ball further, so if you take THAT into account (and you should) you would notice that because he could his rushing yards WOULD be less at the College level with more downfield threats on the team. Of course it would eat into whatever rushing yards he compiled.

Also Shaun Hill was on PACE for that many yards. Doesn't mean he would have GOTTEN that many. Besides running for your life is not the same as Scrambling. Just a subtle difference.

And I don't give a flying truck in space who runs the practice squad. So long as they give an adequate representation that enables our Defense to squash some Vince Young into the turf.

Gotta admit though Shaun Hill and Vince Young are worlds apart.

One thing though the Coaching staff sends the plays in by standing within walking distance. So it stands to reason that when they huddle up the Coach with the plays shows it to them so they don't have to memorize the play just their part. So any QB could run it so long as their teammates remember THEIR responsibilities. It's not like running 1st team drills.

Oh yeah also they do film study and when they run the plays they run them at walking pace 1st and THEN full speed. Davis' learning disability shouldn't even be an issue. Seems to me that Davis also picked up our playbook fairly well from his performances in Preseason.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Nov 6, 2009 at 17:03:11 ]
Shaun Hill seems to have the same throwing motion as Vince Young....but I would think they would have Michael Robinson, Battle, or some other former QB run around back there....

Also, I don't know why some are surprised by some who still bash Shaun Hill....hell they were bashing him when he won the starting job and when he drove us down field to help win games.....OF COURSE they are still going to bash when he is down....their true character is quite transparent.

its one thing to criticizes players for their plays......but to joke with words like noodle arm "can't pass past 5 yards" haha these people....or small hands Alex...ducks....or what ever. just continues to show their true character or lack there of.

[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 6, 2009 at 17:56:23 ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Can't believe this Hill vs. Smith thing is still going on.

All I can say is, if Smith cannot muster up a win vs. Tennessee, get his ass outta there and put Hill back in. I'm happy the guy is playing well, but we need some W's.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

All I can say is, if Smith cannot muster up a win vs. Tennessee, get his ass outta there and put Hill back in. I'm happy the guy is playing well, but we need some W's.

I understand what you mean about the Ws situation.....the season is half way done and every game is important......so we need to know if Alex is legit or not soon...

the thing is though...I believe the coaches, like some of the Alex fans on here feel Alex can do the things that Shaun was asked to do and can bring much more..... maybe so....it seems like he can...but can he do it consistently...that is the question..... the team's stubborn strategy is to keep it close until the 4th qtr and win it there with our QB play.....that strategy worked with Shaun for a number of games....but also worked against Shaun as well........ so now Alex, along with the team, has not come through in the 4th qtr like the coaches would want.... I feel we shouldn't have to wait till the 4th qtr to try to win these games...be it with Alex or Shaun...it just puts that more pressure on the QBs and the oline and the offense......it always comes down to the same thing....we try to pass our way down field when the other defense knows we have to pass.....games that have came down to the 4th qtr...well...it worked with Shaun back there against the Cards, Seahawks, and Vikes........so far it hasn't with Alex....but that is only really one game (Colts)...(Texan's one we were lucky to come back because of Alex)....

so lets see how the Titans game goes...as well as the Bears one....we are playing at home......if Alex has costly turnovers then yes the coaches will make the change....if we plays average, they will stick with him....I believe it is already too late to put Shaun back in....the front office gives the impression they if they are going to go down (another season ) it will be with Alex....just to give him one more chance.

edit - this all being said....I expect Alex to play well these next 2 games....like I said before, if he cuts back on mistakes in the middle of the field....and runs for positive yardage when our WRs are covered....then I think he will do VERY well.....it would be very hard to stop us if this were the case.

[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 6, 2009 at 17:48:55 ]

Nobody mentioned Smith until now. I thought the thread was about Shaun Hill?

^^ Alex has won his fair share of games in the 4th quarter as well.

Don't overlook it.

-9fA
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
^^^see what I mean backontop.
Now I see what you mean
  • flow
  • Veteran
IMO: Michael Robinson should be playing Vince Young.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

I understand what you mean about the Ws situation.....the season is half way done and every game is important......so we need to know if Alex is legit or not soon...

the thing is though...I believe the coaches, like some of the Alex fans on here feel Alex can do the things that Shaun was asked to do and can bring much more..... maybe so....it seems like he can...but can he do it consistently...that is the question..... the team's stubborn strategy is to keep it close until the 4th qtr and win it there with our QB play.....that strategy worked with Shaun for a number of games....but also worked against Shaun as well........ so now Alex, along with the team, has not come through in the 4th qtr like the coaches would want.... I feel we shouldn't have to wait till the 4th qtr to try to win these games...be it with Alex or Shaun...it just puts that more pressure on the QBs and the oline and the offense......it always comes down to the same thing....we try to pass our way down field when the other defense knows we have to pass.....games that have came down to the 4th qtr...well...it worked with Shaun back there against the Cards, Seahawks, and Vikes........so far it hasn't with Alex....but that is only really one game (Colts)...(Texan's one we were lucky to come back because of Alex)....

so lets see how the Titans game goes...as well as the Bears one....we are playing at home......if Alex has costly turnovers then yes the coaches will make the change....if we plays average, they will stick with him....I believe it is already too late to put Shaun back in....the front office gives the impression they if they are going to go down (another season ) it will be with Alex....just to give him one more chance.

edit - this all being said....I expect Alex to play well these next 2 games....like I said before, if he cuts back on mistakes in the middle of the field....and runs for positive yardage when our WRs are covered....then I think he will do VERY well.....it would be very hard to stop us if this were the case.

Your posting style..... reminds me of someone......I think it was lvtent.......who kept breaking up his sentences.......with bundles of full stops....never knew......why he did it
Share 49ersWebzone