There are 62 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

A quarterbacks greatest weapon: Cool!

• cgida
  • Veteran
Just found an old article in the vaults of SI about Montana. Very good read. Now don't get me wrong I am not comparing Alex and Montana BUT in the article it speaks of cool, something the old Alex did not have. This year, however, Alex looks a lot like a QB that has found that missing ingredient...Cool. A presence that we see the best display on a weekly basis. Peyton, Brady, Brees, Warner (at times), S. Young, Favre, Aikman, Elway etc etc etc.
Don't get me wrong, I do not feel that Alex is even close to being able to compare to these greats but you have to start somewhere. This new Alex has shown flashes of that Cool more regularly lately and I hope he continues to show that. Is that the one thing he has been missing and will it help him develop into a great QB in the future. Only time will tell but I raise a glass to his efforts.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1136030/index.htm?eref=sisf&eref=sisf
I hope Alex can grow & lead this franchise back to the top shelf of teams in the NFL where we belong.
He's more confident, but I don't think he has the "Cool" yet. He has been a part of multiple delay of game penalties and incompletions during possible game winning drives. Not Cool yet.
  • TFSP
I'll tell you what...

When Alex jumps up from getting hit, diving for a first down, then get up and talk BIG SH*T to the tackler, it is then ladies and gentlemen, Smitty has arrived. At least when it comes to character.
I'm in tha Zone baby!
Originally posted by TFSP:
I'll tell you what...

When Alex jumps up from getting hit, diving for a first down, then get up and talk BIG SH*T to the tackler, it is then ladies and gentlemen, Smitty has arrived. At least when it comes to character.

How about we start with a win first...

LB
thats great, but thats not his greatest weapon. its the pre-requist. the bottom line thing that all qbs most have- COMPOSURE. that is, what you are referring to when you say COOL. all starting qbs that are semi-descent have it. its the bottom line thing. its like saying, the qb has to know how to throw the ball. a must have. alex didnt have it in the beginning, but he sure seems to have it now. thats the biggest difference i see in alex now. he looks very comfortable and composed. it looks like the game slowed down for him. hopefully he keeps progressing. hes lookin good so far!
Originally posted by Joecool:
He's more confident, but I don't think he has the "Cool" yet. He has been a part of multiple delay of game penalties and incompletions during possible game winning drives. Not Cool yet.

X2. I see his progression, and it looks promising, but not quite "Cool" yet
I'll tell you what...

• TFSP
Originally posted by doodle:
I'll tell you what...

Originally posted by blunt_probe:

Thats some good photo shop. I personally have bashed the kid up one side down the other. Though I would relish the journey if Smith (or anyone for that matter) could lead the 49ers at QB to a superbowl or 4 or at the very least to someone teams don't want to face in the post season.

Go Niners!!
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan818:

Thats some good photo shop. I personally have bashed the kid up one side down the other. Though I would relish the journey if Smith (or anyone for that matter) could lead the 49ers at QB to a superbowl or 4 or at the very least to someone teams don't want to face in the post season.

Go Niners!!

He looks evil.......
Originally posted by ninerfan818:

Go Niners!!

photoshop skills!!!
I havent been the biggest Alex Smith fan since we drafted him, sure I always hoped that our #1 draft choice would be "the guy", but there was always a problem he wasnt very consistent, I hope Smith has grasped this "COOL" concept, he is looking a little sharper than years past, but I dont think he has too many chances left.