There are 134 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We've had 11 different players record a sack

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by backontop:
isn't it better to not have a dominant pass rusher so the offensive line and blitz pick up can't zero in on just one person

Sure, but not when 11 guys only have 1 sack each, when going on week 10 of the season. I rather have one dominant pass-rusher, with 11 sacks, that we can move around and take pressure off other players.

First, it's week nine.

Secondary, the 49ers rank 18th in the league in sacks, which isn't bad when comparing the defense's progress from a year ago.

I'd rather have pressure across the board than one dominate player. Much like Merriman in San Diego, counting on one player for a integral part of your defense is foolish.

Finally, the team doesn't have eleven players with eleven sacks. McDonald, Franklin, Lawson and Willis all have more than one sack each.

First, .

Second, we do not get consistent pressure, see 29th ranking in pass defense.

Finally, it was more of a figure of speech and wasn't meant to take literally, since of course I know each number of sacks each player has thanks to NFL.com and Sunday Ticket.

.....seriously some people need to relax, do I have to be on the mark every time??

lol i think when youre putting out facts you kinda need to be on the mark or else hows ur post gonna be taken seriously?
Originally posted by Mospeed:
I thought this was a pretty impressive stat.

That's what happens when you scheme to get sacks. A bright shining example of why we need a stud pass rusher.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
isn't it better to not have a dominant pass rusher so the offensive line and blitz pick up can't zero in on just one person

Sure, but not when 11 guys only have 1 sack each, when going on week 10 of the season. I rather have one dominant pass-rusher, with 11 sacks, that we can move around and take pressure off other players.

First, it's week nine.

Secondary, the 49ers rank 18th in the league in sacks, which isn't bad when comparing the defense's progress from a year ago.

I'd rather have pressure across the board than one dominate player. Much like Merriman in San Diego, counting on one player for a integral part of your defense is foolish.

Finally, the team doesn't have eleven players with eleven sacks. McDonald, Franklin, Lawson and Willis all have more than one sack each.

First, .

Finally, it was more of a figure of speech and wasn't meant to take literally, since of course I know each number of sacks each player has thanks to NFL.com and Sunday Ticket.

.....seriously some people need to relax, do I have to be on the mark every time??

lol i think when youre putting out facts you kinda need to be on the mark or else hows ur post gonna be taken seriously?

So I said 10 instead of 9, regardless, its still the same time-line of the season. Second, my main point was that even though we have sacks from 11 different players, it still doesn't show consistency. Third those weren't facts, it was my opinion.
Originally posted by Ether:
Too bad we only have 11 sacks.

You should stop sniffing the ether ether!!!!
Originally posted by ruthless49er:

First, it's week nine.

First, .

So I said 10 instead of 9, regardless, its still the same time-line of the season. Second, my main point was that even though we have sacks from 11 different players, it still doesn't show consistency. Third those weren't facts, it was my opinion.

I get where you're coming from. I actually agree with your point lol i just think its easier to dismiss someones opinion when it doesnt come based in facts or if theyre numbers are wrong. but i see you didnt specifically say 49ers numbers at any point. my mistake
The reason why Peyton Manning had one of his more difficult games of the season against us is because we were doing a good job of disguising our pressure.

Did anyone see any highlights of how Julius Peppers was getting double and even tripled teamed last weekend? It would be nice to have a guy like that, but how many menacing DE's are there in the league who get this kind of attention? Maybe 15!

Here's the top 10 in sacks:

Jared Allen - 10.5 (High priced FA)
Elvis Dumerville - 10 (Drafted)
Dwight Freeney - 8 (Drafted)
James Harrison - 8 (Fluke)
Antwan Odom - 8 (Drafted)
Julius Peppers - 7 (Making 16 million this season!)
Trent Cole - 6.5 (Drafted)
Andre Carter - 6.5 (Speechless...)
Robert Mathis - 6 (Drafted)
Jason Taylor - 5.5 (Expensive and old)

As a unit, we have 16 sacks (According to ESPN), which is tied for 18th in the league with Cleveland and Baltimore. Teams like Carolina, New Orleans, San Diego and Dallas have 17 sacks this year.

I think our approach on defense is just fine. We come from all angles with different guys in an effort to confuse the QB. Plus, sacks are not a tell all indicator of defensive success. Pressure on the QB is sometimes better because it can lead to errant throws that can be intercepted.

[ Edited by doc_brown_ on Nov 7, 2009 at 23:48:25 ]
I think it would be harder to protect the QB when you don't know exactly where the pressure is coming from versus one guy with most of of the production.

Next year if we add a sack machine (or this year if someone steps up) that will make everyone better (as someone mentioned earlier), since you can't just key in on one player.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
The reason why Peyton Manning had one of his more difficult games of the season against us is because we were doing a good job of disguising our pressure.

Did anyone see any highlights of how Julius Peppers was getting double and even tripled teamed last weekend? It would be nice to have a guy like that, but how many menacing DE's are there in the league who get this kind of attention? Maybe 15!

Jereome Harrison - 8 (Fluke)

As a unit, we have 16 sacks (According to ESPN), which is tied for 18th in the league with Cleveland and Baltimore. Teams like Carolina, New Orleans, San Diego and Dallas have 17 sacks this year.

I think our approach on defense is just fine. We come from all angles with different guys in an effort to confuse the QB. Plus, sacks are not a tell all indicator of defensive success. Pressure on the QB is sometimes better because it can lead to errant throws that can be intercepted.

this
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by doc_brown_:

Jereome Harrison - 8 (Fluke)

this

However, look at the top 3 in sacks and what teams they come from...

Jared Allen - Min - 6-1
Elvis Dumervil - Den - 6-1
Dwight Freeney - Ind - 7-0

It's quite obvious that a monster passrusher helps the team quite a bit.... although I feel like JA numbers a skewed since he sacked Aaron Rodgers like 5 times....