There are 107 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We've had 11 different players record a sack

You guys need to lay off the downers. It just means we have a deep bench, a good rotation and a defensive coordinator that knows what he's doing. And yes we do have a dominate pass rusher in Patrick Willis, he just isn't sent in to blitz often because he's our best run stopper.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwilly52:
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by Ether:
Too bad we only have 11 sacks.

we have 16

So that means we don't have a dominant pass rusher yet again.

I bet we are regretting signing Haralson to that extension...

I do not understand why it's such a big deal that we do not have a "dominate" pass rusher? I agree it would great if we did and I do hope the team adds one next offseason. But this defense is really good as is, they are very very good against the run (#2 in the NFL) have the best ILB core in the league, the best D player in the league in Willis.
The passrush gets plenty of push from the DL, way more than I expected and it shows how good Manusky/Sing are. Franklin looks like a monster and J.Smith is def a probowler. If the team does a good job at rushing the passer that's all that matters.
Would it be better if we had Jared Allen and he had 11 sacks and the team still only had 16?

Probably, because having one player have a lot of sacks is eveerrryttthhhing does any one take QB pressures and hits into accounts any more? They are equally as important. I remember some one posting that Justin Smith was #1/ #2 in the league in QB pressures and QB hits for DE's.

You're kidding right?

Dominant defenses have that "one" player who is a beast and gets sacks like no other person.

Having that player allows the opposing teams to lock in on him, allowing other players to step up as well.

Jared Allen has over 10 sacks this season. Offenses pay more attention to him than any other defensive lineman on the Vikings. This has allowed Ray Edwards to attain 3.5 sacks on the season and Kevin Williams with 5 sacks.

Having that dominant player makes EVERYONE better on the defense.

The 49ers play good defense, but they can't close games out because they don't have that game changing defensive player making clutch plays.
I dont give a heck
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by backontop:
isn't it better to not have a dominant pass rusher so the offensive line and blitz pick up can't zero in on just one person

Sure, but not when 11 guys only have 1 sack each, when going on week 10 of the season. I rather have one dominant pass-rusher, with 11 sacks, that we can move around and take pressure off other players.

Isn't the whole point of a 3-4 defense to get pressure on the QB from many different positions? I think its a big plus that we have been able to get sacks from different spots. That means that teams don't know who to double team.

Having one guy who always gets pressure is nice, but there is the downside that the opponent knows who they have to game plan for.

As long as we are getting sacks I don't care where they come from.
Originally posted by King49er:
I dont give a heck

Sure you do King...you frickin' yell at the TV screen like the rest of us every weekend otherwise, why are you here?

Ray McDonald 15 tackles, 0 for loss, 3 sacks, 21 QB pressures

big mac is beastin!
  • Ether
  • Veteran

we have 16

I do not understand why it's such a big deal that we do not have a "dominate" pass rusher? I agree it would great if we did and I do hope the team adds one next offseason. But this defense is really good as is, they are very very good against the run (#2 in the NFL) have the best ILB core in the league, the best D player in the league in Willis.
The passrush gets plenty of push from the DL, way more than I expected and it shows how good Manusky/Sing are. Franklin looks like a monster and J.Smith is def a probowler. If the team does a good job at rushing the passer that's all that matters.
Would it be better if we had Jared Allen and he had 11 sacks and the team still only had 16?

Probably, because having one player have a lot of sacks is eveerrryttthhhing does any one take QB pressures and hits into accounts any more? They are equally as important. I remember some one posting that Justin Smith was #1/ #2 in the league in QB pressures and QB hits for DE's.
No its not... If you pressure a Quarterback but he still hits a streaking Receiver for 65 yards, obviously that isnt as great as a Sack.

we have 16

No its not... If you pressure a Quarterback but he still hits a streaking Receiver for 65 yards, obviously that isnt as great as a Sack.

With QB pressures/hits you generate the chance for an interception.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by blm7754:
isn't it better to not have a dominant pass rusher so the offensive line and blitz pick up can't zero in on just one person

Sure, but not when 11 guys only have 1 sack each, when going on week 10 of the season. I rather have one dominant pass-rusher, with 11 sacks, that we can move around and take pressure off other players.

Isn't the whole point of a 3-4 defense to get pressure on the QB from many different positions? I think its a big plus that we have been able to get sacks from different spots. That means that teams don't know who to double team.

Having one guy who always gets pressure is nice, but there is the downside that the opponent knows who they have to game plan for.

As long as we are getting sacks I don't care where they come from.

It is, but we aren't getting consistent pressure, especially from our OLB - pass-rushers. If we had one consistent pass-rusher, offenses would always be looking for him, and would open up more stunts for the D-line and possibly more coverage sacks. Shifting your best pass rusher always creates mismatches and sometimes makes the QB check out of a play forbidding him to go deep. I'm not saying we ONLY need one pass rusher, but one consistent pass rusher can make the players around him better.

we have 16

You're kidding right?

Dominant defenses have that "one" player who is a beast and gets sacks like no other person.

Having that player allows the opposing teams to lock in on him, allowing other players to step up as well.

Jared Allen has over 10 sacks this season. Offenses pay more attention to him than any other defensive lineman on the Vikings. This has allowed Ray Edwards to attain 3.5 sacks on the season and Kevin Williams with 5 sacks.

Having that dominant player makes EVERYONE better on the defense.

The 49ers play good defense, but they can't close games out because they don't have that game changing defensive player making clutch plays.

Unless EVERYONE of our rushers suck.
Originally posted by teeohh:
Ray McDonald 15 tackles, 0 for loss, 3 sacks, 21 QB pressures

big mac is beastin!

i ony see our pash rush getting better, we did really well against manning last week

First, it's week nine.

Secondary, the 49ers rank 18th in the league in sacks, which isn't bad when comparing the defense's progress from a year ago.

I'd rather have pressure across the board than one dominate player. Much like Merriman in San Diego, counting on one player for a integral part of your defense is foolish.

Finally, the team doesn't have eleven players with eleven sacks. McDonald, Franklin, Lawson and Willis all have more than one sack each.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

we have 16

Vikings have 31 Raiders have 17. No Niners in the top 30 in sacks

I think 15 of the vikings sacks came against Green Bay if memory serves. Jared Allen had 7.5 alone against them. And the Raiders play defense the entire game so 17 isn't that impressive. =)
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by redrathman:

First, it's week nine.

Secondary, the 49ers rank 18th in the league in sacks, which isn't bad when comparing the defense's progress from a year ago.

I'd rather have pressure across the board than one dominate player. Much like Merriman in San Diego, counting on one player for a integral part of your defense is foolish.

Finally, the team doesn't have eleven players with eleven sacks. McDonald, Franklin, Lawson and Willis all have more than one sack each.

First, .

Second, we do not get consistent pressure, see 29th ranking in pass defense.

Finally, it was more of a figure of speech and wasn't meant to take literally, since of course I know each number of sacks each player has thanks to NFL.com and Sunday Ticket.

.....seriously some people need to relax, do I have to be on the mark every time??
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home