There are 195 users in the forums

Defending Jimmy Raye (yes, defending Jimmy Raye)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Why are we patting him on the back like some child who took his first steps. The fans, the media, and the players saw the need to run the spread 4 weeks ago... In a league that anyone would give an arm and a leg to break into, that is just unacceptable. It at least cost us a game. F Jimmy Raye... unless we play like this from here on out I think Mike Johnson needs to take over (same system of course) for next year.

Because in reality you just don't switch to the spread offense because it works in the 2 minute drill.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
Raye did well today. Got Walker involved which forced the defense to think figure out how they were going to cover him and Davis in 2 TE formations. Liked the run play using Walker.

No one can say we didn't throw the ball today. Even went deep on several occasions to bad VD and Crab dropped the ball.

yeah we left two TD's on the field today. but soo what right, we won.

VD dropped the ball but the Niners specifically Gore scored a TD on that drive so we left one TD on the field.
I give Raye credit for realizing Vernon was a beast...and has gone to some lengths to insure he gets the ball. I criticize him for taking so long to realize the strength of his offense has been his receivers all season...and only now is he willing to change. A guy who's been around as long as he has should've seen and done everything...so makes it even more puzzling it took Alex, Vernon & Crabtree to go to him and say, "we want to run the spread" for him to get the hint. Let's just hope he sticks with it...and, in fact, expands the passing game to include more deep passes and gets Brandon Jones in the mix.
i think we should keep him next year because i think he came into the season with a platbook for hill which does not support smith so i believe the playbook should change to smith's strength over the offseason
Matt Barrows always hilarious:

Quote:
Against the Jaguars, Raye ceased to be Jimmy Raye, curmudgeonly assistant. He was Air Raye, ambitious innovator.
LINK

• dj43
OK. He did the obvious. He realized caveman football wasn't working and went to the spread for passing. However, his running game is a ZERO.

He needs to use some sweeps, 18 BOB was a 49er staple for years, and it still works. Some better setups for play action from the I formation will be critical if this teams is to win against AZ or Philly.

I'm not at all convinced until I see more variety in the running game - up the gut isn't getting it.
Very Impressed with Raye today, Singletary too. At least they changed it. They showed that they are willing to be flexible and I think that's a very important trait to have in a HC/OC in the NFL.

Not only did they move to a spread, but their plays from the spread worked. It's not like you just put them in the formation and they light up.

Also, I have to give Raye credit for the job he has done with Smith this year. He looks even more comfortable than he did in Turner's offense.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Very Impressed with Raye today, Singletary too. At least they changed it. They showed that they are willing to be flexible and I think that's a very important trait to have in a HC/OC in the NFL.

Not only did they move to a spread, but their plays from the spread worked. It's not like you just put them in the formation and they light up.

Also, I have to give Raye credit for the job he has done with Smith this year. He looks even more comfortable than he did in Turner's offense.

Agreed. The only issue I have is creativity in the running game. I only remember one time when the 49ers got creative (the reverse to Walker). The play worked, proving to me that we can run the ball, but not if we're going to just run Gore up the gut 20 times a game. If we could get our running game going to compliment our passing game, we'd become a dangerous team.

Hopefully, the OL continues to play the way it played against Jacksonville. I think that's the biggest key. It won't matter what plays we call if the OL can't block anyone. We got a glimpse yesterday of how our offense can look like if you give the QB time to throw.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by foreign49er:

Agreed. The only issue I have is creativity in the running game. I only remember one time when the 49ers got creative (the reverse to Walker). The play worked, proving to me that we can run the ball, but not if we're going to just run Gore up the gut 20 times a game. If we could get our running game going to compliment our passing game, we'd become a dangerous team.

Hopefully, the OL continues to play the way it played against Jacksonville. I think that's the biggest key. It won't matter what plays we call if the OL can't block anyone. We got a glimpse yesterday of how our offense can look like if you give the QB time to throw.

I don't know if it is just me but I feel like the Oline was accentuated by Smith's good timing on getting the ball out of his hands. That being said, Jimmy Raye called a great game. Will he go into shutdown mode, or back to the Jimmy Raye that we alll know? Only time will tell...

I have to say, I missed on almost all calls yesterday. I mean, I said, "oh, this is going to be a run, " and I was mostly wrong. He threw some new wrinkles yesterday and worked out of the playaction quite a bit. I hope he builds on this, and adds more for next week.
Share 49ersWebzone