There are 355 users in the forums

Defending Jimmy Raye (yes, defending Jimmy Raye)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm still not sold on Jimmy Raye. But he did call a better game on Sunday despite the loss. Finally I saw some screen passes, a reverse and some decent runs by Frank. We obviously have glaring problems still but Raye should have done this a long time ago
If you know football and have been listening to Coach Sing, you would know it starts and ends with the OL....and quite frankly....our OL is HORRENDOUS!!!!

You can point the figure at the QB and/or OC, but if we cant run and pass block consistently, we are not going to win consistently.

I will say those two plays to Robinson in the redzone was puzzling and really pissed me off!
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
If you know football and have been listening to Coach Sing, you would know it starts and ends with the OL....and quite frankly....our OL is HORRENDOUS!!!!

You can point the figure at the QB and/or OC, but if we cant run and pass block consistently, we are not going to win consistently.

I will say those two plays to Robinson in the redzone was puzzling and really pissed me off!

We gave up on the run even though Gore was getting chunks here and there all day long so we could pass 40+ times for a team that wasn't built to pass. That said Smiths INT's came when he was actually given decent protection.
Three yard outs to VD aren't going to cut it in this league unfortunately for Raye.
the oline sucks and the coaches knew it thats why they resisted opening up the playbook.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by jcs:

We gave up on the run even though Gore was getting chunks here and there all day long so we could pass 40+ times for a team that wasn't built to pass. That said Smiths INT's came when he was actually given decent protection.

Pure fantasy. Gore was getting chunks of yards from the toss and from screens, not from running between the tackles.

Worst offensive line ever. Dude you're just making general comments not based in fact at all.

15 carries for 83 yards.

Play by Play - Sportsline.com
1st Q -
2-10-TEN (10:09) F.Gore up the middle to TEN 20 for 6 yards
1-10-SF29 (5:49) F.Gore left end to SF 42 for 13 yards
1-10-SF49 (2:14) F.Gore up the middle to TEN 49 for 2 yards
2nd Q -
2-7-SF33 (12:38) F.Gore up the middle to SF 39 for 6 yards
1-5-TEN8 (10:14) F.Gore up the middle to TEN 3 for 5 yards
1-3-TEN3 (9:35) F.Gore left guard for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
1-10-SF18 (3:32) (Shotgun) F.Gore up the middle to SF 27 for 9 yards
2-1-SF41 (2:00) (Shotgun) F.Gore up the middle to SF 45 for 4 yards
3rd Q -
1-10-SF24 (14:55) (Shotgun) F.Gore right guard to SF 26 for 2 yards
2-8-SF26 (14:17) (Shotgun) F.Gore up the middle to SF 30 for 4 yards

This just continues
It's the QB that makes Raye look bad until we get a good Qb that makes the good reads and anticipates the play and not throw late then we will be a good team. Right now we don't have that QB just of bunch of boneheads playing the position, we have to find a QB asap.

Throw in Nate Davis who cares let him develop the season is over anyway!
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Pure fantasy. Gore was getting chunks of yards from the toss and from screens, not from running between the tackles.

Worst offensive line ever. Dude you're just making general comments not based in fact at all.

15 carries for 83 yards.

Play by Play - Sportsline.com
1st Q -
2-10-TEN (10:09) F.Gore up the middle to TEN 20 for 6 yards
1-10-SF29 (5:49) F.Gore left end to SF 42 for 13 yards
1-10-SF49 (2:14) F.Gore up the middle to TEN 49 for 2 yards
2nd Q -
2-7-SF33 (12:38) F.Gore up the middle to SF 39 for 6 yards
1-5-TEN8 (10:14) F.Gore up the middle to TEN 3 for 5 yards
1-3-TEN3 (9:35) F.Gore left guard for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
1-10-SF18 (3:32) (Shotgun) F.Gore up the middle to SF 27 for 9 yards
2-1-SF41 (2:00) (Shotgun) F.Gore up the middle to SF 45 for 4 yards
3rd Q -
1-10-SF24 (14:55) (Shotgun) F.Gore right guard to SF 26 for 2 yards
2-8-SF26 (14:17) (Shotgun) F.Gore up the middle to SF 30 for 4 yards

This just continues

That was a toss play to the outside.
  • wolfpack219
  • Info N/A
This team is getting away from what our original intention was. We are not an offense that is going to light up the score board guys that is exactly why we needed to learn to control the clock and be balanced. Now we are trying to be pass happy and "spread it out at the fans request" and its not working. We are not built to be the Colts. The fans wanted it and here it is.
thought Raye called a pretty good game yesterday and showed he can open it up and be more creative. The result, we moved the ball pretty well and Gore had his most consistant game of the season as he generally had some room to run in large part thanks to the fact we opened up passing and spread it out a bit more. I mean on 3rd and goal late in the game, the play was drawn up well as we had Frank Gore going over the middle but Alex pass was just a little to high but it was a nice play designed by Raye. I did not like the plays called for MRob, I know he came in for Delaine Walker but that does not mean we had to run plays for him. I do think we should have thrown the ball to Crabtree at least once when we were in the red zone as he seemed to be isolated one on one on the left side but Alex did not even look his way.

Check nvchamp's post and you might change your mind on Raye. There's a reason why the offense looked so bad in the 2nd half yesterday.

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if the same exact thing happened last week considering we looked good in the 1st half, and horrible in the 2nd.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Jimmy Raye is not the problem. He may not be very dynamic but he is not the problem.
You know what two guys would defend Jimmy Raye?

Vernon Davis and Moran Norris. Both are having career years under Jimmy.
Originally posted by susweel:
Jimmy Raye is not the problem. He may not be very dynamic but he is not the problem.
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
You know what two guys would defend Jimmy Raye?

Vernon Davis and Moran Norris. Both are having career years under Jimmy.

Share 49ersWebzone