LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

Defending Jimmy Raye (yes, defending Jimmy Raye)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
My beef is a lack of creativity.

I'm not expecting massive amounts of razzle-dazzle, but for heaven's sake, give me SOME. I want to see a reverse, a half-back pass maybe, WR pass, heck even the wildcat some more. Even an end around to Vernon like they've given to Delanie would be nice.

We had some nice fake-pass-left and pass-right screen passes on Sunday. More of that is needed. More of screens set up in general would be nice, but perhaps it's because guys keep missing blocks downfield.

Please let's throw something deep down the field. Let's try a bomb. Please.

Mike Martz nor Norv Turner ran those kind of plays either and when they ran a WR reverse, it usually resulted in negative yards. I have been waiting for a Michael Robinson halfback pass for four years
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

I'm not expecting massive amounts of razzle-dazzle, but for heaven's sake, give me SOME. I want to see a reverse, a half-back pass maybe, WR pass, heck even the wildcat some more. Even an end around to Vernon like they've given to Delanie would be nice.

We had some nice fake-pass-left and pass-right screen passes on Sunday. More of that is needed. More of screens set up in general would be nice, but perhaps it's because guys keep missing blocks downfield.

Mike Martz nor Norv Turner ran those kind of plays either and when they ran a WR reverse, it usually resulted in negative yards. I have been waiting for a Michael Robinson halfback pass for four years

Me Too ...I personally wanna see more shots downfield to our slot receivers on 1st & 2nd down and more 3 WR sets.
I agree the offense is too predictable out of the base offense, we should be seeing more quick slants to our WR's and use the FB more in the passing game and not just as emergency checkdown receivers.....Guess I miss the well oiled offensive machines from back in the day
Originally posted by FourNine49:
I see where you're coming from, and great analysis, but I still don't like the guy.

thats fair
Irrational hatred is fair?
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

Me Too ...I personally wanna see more shots downfield to our slot receivers on 1st & 2nd down and more 3 WR sets.
I agree the offense is too predictable out of the base offense, we should be seeing more quick slants to our WR's and use the FB more in the passing game and not just as emergency checkdown receivers.....Guess I miss the well oiled offensive machines from back in the day

That I agree with, we do have to be more creative and aggressive on 1st down
  • TFSP
How can anybody be upset with this man, when first of all, none of us is a practice, day in and day out. The coaches know the real strengths and weaknesses of our team. See I'm going to tell you ONE thing, and ONE thing only Jimmy RayRay doesn't want! You same bashers to get on him for calling a play that injures AS. AS will get killed if we do the madden plays you want to call ALL THE TIME, that's why you work where you work at today. As some are getting the 'light', the problem is NOT JIMMY RAYRAY, it's the production of our O-LINE. As a friend and I brought this up in conversation last night, this what we came up with.

1. Chilo is a run blocker, not a pass blocker. Also, from USC with 4 other great talented O-linemen that blocked for overrated Reggie Bush years.
2. Snyder, he doesn't know what he is, but I think he's better at guard then tackle. I'm glad he's versatile, but he is a Jack of all trades(positions), and a Master of Nothing. He's serviceable, not your starter, nice guy, but not your starter. Thats's his problem, he seems not to play with "I'm gonna kick yourazz on this play, you MOFO".
3. Heitmann playing good
4. Baas, where has he been? He hasn't been spot lighted with great play more than bad play as expected. I'd like to see Wragge challenge his position like the right side of the line went through.
5. Wragge, just mentioned.
6. Sims, whoa man, ok. When he came over from across the bay, I thought we had a slower Kwame Harris. But Sims(knock on wood) hasn't been getting the crazy amount of penalties he did when he was with the raiders. He played above average last week, on short notice, but lets watch this week.

Ladies and Gentlemen, there you have it our mid-season O-Line. Any current pro-bowlers, besides Heitmann on the team(I thought he made a pro-bowl team before)? NO MAJOR HELP AT THE LINE, LIMITS PLAY SELECTION, OR YOUR QB GETS HURT. I don't want AS hurt again. He gets hurt again, its over for his confidence!

Period, end of discussion.

OH, question, is Jimmy's play calling the reason wrs are dropping passes?
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
I see where you're coming from, and great analysis, but I still don't like the guy.

thats fair

Ok, if we're going to get nitpicky, let me explain myself...

First of all, it's not hatred. I said I don't like him, but I don't hate him. Second, it's not irrational because these are the reasons why I don't like him:

-He lacks imagination
-He is predictable
-The implementation of new plays (and yes I can see that he has added more plays to his playbook) is not enough. He still fails to adapt to the weaknesses of other defenses. TAKE WHAT THE DEFENSE GIVES YOU. Let's hope he takes advantage of the Titan's weak secondary.
-He does not adapt during the course of the game. Being conservative, then opening it up to the spread in the last 2 minutes of the half (that was mostly conducted by Smith anyway), then turning into an even more conservative gameplan for the rest of the game is NOT what you call adapting. Adapting is either: (1) stop doing what hasn't worked and keep doing what works or (2) if nothing is working, trying something new (eg. Addai's pass to Wayne - the only Colt TD)

Those are the reasons why I don't like him. Not irrational. Not hated
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
To me, it's his lack of creativeness.

He sticks with base package way too often and this often leads to predictable playcalls. I'm personally not asking Raye to go all spread. What I am asking is this:
1. Run out of something other than FB, 2TE sets - run out of 3WR for once.
2. Go more with 3 WR sets, but just because you do, doesn't mean you have to chuck it deep every time - send one deep, one intermediate and one short.

It's painfully obvious that we have a boom or bust running game that more often busts than anything else.

Passing game > running game.

WRs and TEs > RBs

Btw, i applaud you for taking your stand.

-9fA

predictable! agreed 100%. Jimmy raye's playcalling is very uncreative, and I swear he has like 5 pass plays and 5 run plays. 4 of the run plays say run up the middle...
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
That 2000 team had three pro bowlers on the line in John Tait(01,06), Tim Grunhard(1999) and Will Shields(95-06). Elvis Grbac(326 for 547, 4,169 yards, 28 td, 14 int, & 30 rushes for 110 yards and 1 td) and Tony G(93 catches for 1,203 yards, 9 td) went to the probowl that year too. Raye can do it but Scot needs to get him the Oline.

This!
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:

thats fair

HIS opinion, feelings and honesty
Yes, but it's all about WINS and LOSES!

I wouldn't exactly say that at 9-7 (1999), 7-9 (2000) and 8-8 (2001) stellar performances on a 16 game season!

So if you're satisfied with these numbers then you're one of the few!

[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Nov 5, 2009 at 11:46:14 ]

we are a running team yet raye never runs play action.

i thought thats how a running team was supposed to score?

i mean, u cant run the ball 20 times every drive....

RAYE! USE THE PLAY ACTION!
I will also add that we were moving the ball well Crabtree fumbled it and on the Alex Smith INT (that was on 1st down) and lets not forget Issac Bruce's critical 3rd down drop where we were also moving the ball.

This week Raye has to be a little more creative though as Tennessee is just going to attack Gore and Alex Smith and we have to get rid of the ball quickly and down the field.
Originally posted by TFSP:
How can anybody be upset with this man, when first of all, none of us is a practice, day in and day out. The coaches know the real strengths and weaknesses of our team. See I'm going to tell you ONE thing, and ONE thing only Jimmy RayRay doesn't want! You same bashers to get on him for calling a play that injures AS. AS will get killed if we do the madden plays you want to call ALL THE TIME, that's why you work where you work at today. As some are getting the 'light', the problem is NOT JIMMY RAYRAY, it's the production of our O-LINE. As a friend and I brought this up in conversation last night, this what we came up with.

1. Chilo is a run blocker, not a pass blocker. Also, from USC with 4 other great talented O-linemen that blocked for overrated Reggie Bush years.
2. Snyder, he doesn't know what he is, but I think he's better at guard then tackle. I'm glad he's versatile, but he is a Jack of all trades(positions), and a Master of Nothing. He's serviceable, not your starter, nice guy, but not your starter. Thats's his problem, he seems not to play with "I'm gonna kick yourazz on this play, you MOFO".
3. Heitmann playing good
4. Baas, where has he been? He hasn't been spot lighted with great play more than bad play as expected. I'd like to see Wragge challenge his position like the right side of the line went through.
5. Wragge, just mentioned.
6. Sims, whoa man, ok. When he came over from across the bay, I thought we had a slower Kwame Harris. But Sims(knock on wood) hasn't been getting the crazy amount of penalties he did when he was with the raiders. He played above average last week, on short notice, but lets watch this week.

Ladies and Gentlemen, there you have it our mid-season O-Line. Any current pro-bowlers, besides Heitmann on the team(I thought he made a pro-bowl team before)? NO MAJOR HELP AT THE LINE, LIMITS PLAY SELECTION, OR YOUR QB GETS HURT. I don't want AS hurt again. He gets hurt again, its over for his confidence!

Period, end of discussion.

OH, question, is Jimmy's play calling the reason wrs are dropping passes?

Too much logic, can't comprehend.
The biggest problem with this team is the offensive line. We have only had one pro bowl lineman since 2002 and he was a rental player (Larry Allen)
Jimmy will unveil the spread in 2011. I don't know what everybody is complaining about.
Share 49ersWebzone