There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Defending Jimmy Raye (yes, defending Jimmy Raye)

Well, Mike Sando from ESPN has about the best appraisal of the current Jimmy Raye offense I've seen so far: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/8330/what-raye-and-the-49ers-were-thinking

The funny thing is...I think Singletary is aware of all this and I fully expect him to order Raye to open it up against Tennessee and take advantage of Alex Smith's obvious skills operating out of the spread.

Should be fun!

[ Edited by Yetiman on Nov 4, 2009 at 21:43:17 ]
  • ptinerocket
  • Info N/A
True, Al davis built a dominating Raiders during the beggining of the decade too, and now look what happened.
Show me, don't tell me.
I just had to see this.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Show me, don't tell me.

actually the original poster just showed you some facts.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Show me, don't tell me.

actually the original poster just showed you some facts.

Then why are we 3-4? When the offense is actually ranked higher than 20, I'll start giving Raye a chance.
Interesting post with some great points.

After the game last Sunday I was defiantly disappointed with the lack of creativity on offensive play calling. But I have looked at a couple of things that have mellowed me out. First was the decision by Singletary to start Hill at the beginning of the season. This allowed Alex to develop and get comfortable with the new offense before throwing him into the mix. If Alex starts the season and was unsuccessful early on that would kill his confidence and most likely his career. We can argue all day whether or not the plan was to bring Smith in later in the year. But it was defiantly the right decision.

We are all asking for the expanded use of the spread offense, shotgun formations, and 3 WR sets, because of the explosiveness its shown it can bring. This need to be a gradual transformation because we have young/inexperienced players at our skill positions. If we add too much too soon it may overload our guys and prevent the development of continuity.

There has been some irrigating calls (several “WTF’s?) made by Raye especially last week. Runs on 2nd/3rd and long, lack of stretching the field (take a shot every once and a while!), try a run out of a 3WR set to keep the D honest, or a screen when they want to bull rush. I'm hopeful that things will get better and we will continue to develop and expand our offense. Last week brought 17 carries and 32 pass attempts. How’s that for a power running team! VD is finally being used correctly and is coming alive, Crabtree is getting better with every snap, and Alex is starting to get in a rhythm.

Now let’s hand the Titans their ass this weekend and get this team back on track!
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

Can't believe I just spent 10 minutes writing to defend Jimmy Raye...

haha me neither...

BUT i as much as you tried, I just can't hop on board with you -- and I know that there is a decent percentage that has to point blame at our offensive as a whole in it's inefficiency. However, it's everywhere man -- Raye just seems stubborn up in the box. If we're getting hammered with blitzes, Raye doesn't anticipate and try a screen to beat it. If we're getting smashed at the LOS, Raye doesn't call a toss to beat it (or at least catch another team off guard... God forbid we run anywhere but up the middle). It's sickening how bland our offensive is -- and how predictable it is is absolutely killing us. Good playcalling can help a bad team. That's what happened with Nolan in '06.

Your analysis was great tho.
  • nooj
  • Veteran
Jimmy Raye, please go away.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
That 2000 team had three pro bowlers on the line in John Tait(01,06), Tim Grunhard(1999) and Will Shields(95-06). Elvis Grbac(326 for 547, 4,169 yards, 28 td, 14 int, & 30 rushes for 110 yards and 1 td) and Tony G(93 catches for 1,203 yards, 9 td) went to the probowl that year too. Raye can do it but Scot needs to get him the Oline.

Are you talking about ONE year in a carreer that spans more than TWO decades- nice try.

He has been a Niner OC for 7 games and our O is a f**king disgrace. Until things change, he and his followers can suck nuts.
Very good post! I think his playcalling will improve over the next few weeks. I can only imagine what this offense could look like if Crabtree had been here during the off-season. I think come next year will be a dominant passing team with all the weapons we have & the time they will get together in the off-season.
  • FootballPictures
  • Info N/A
Indeed!
watching him call plays is making me miss Martz more and more

unfortunate JTO didnt know how to secure the ball, but at least Martz opened up the playbook
Originally posted by Yetiman:
Well, Mike Sando from ESPN has about the best appraisal of the current Jimmy Raye offense I've seen so far: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/8330/what-raye-and-the-49ers-were-thinking

The funny thing is...I think Singletary is aware of all this and I fully expect him to order Raye to open it up against Tennessee and take advantage of Alex Smith's obvious skills operating out of the spread.

Should be fun!

Great article
My beef is a lack of creativity.

I'm not expecting massive amounts of razzle-dazzle, but for heaven's sake, give me SOME. I want to see a reverse, a half-back pass maybe, WR pass, heck even the wildcat some more. Even an end around to Vernon like they've given to Delanie would be nice.

We had some nice fake-pass-left and pass-right screen passes on Sunday. More of that is needed. More of screens set up in general would be nice, but perhaps it's because guys keep missing blocks downfield.

Please let's throw something deep down the field. Let's try a bomb. Please.