There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Hope Dilfer Is Wrong About Singletary

I think Singletary will adapt slowly, but it will get done.
  • NMNiner
  • Info N/A
I agree that the system that will get the most out of Alex Smith is a spread system, but I do not think that our O line is good enough to protect him. Take Kurt Warner for example at St.Louis he was awesome, then he went to NY where they tried to force him into a style of play that did not fit his style and he was not very productive. He then went on to Arizona who spreads the field and is still playing awesome (ignore the last game).
My impression as of right now is Sing and Co. only go spread when behind in score or needed a jolt to the offense. But he'd rather go conservative and not risk turnovers if he can get away with it. But it's a bad rap on him to say he won't or can't go spread. He's not the 'lets be aggressive, turnovers be damn' early and often like Martz.

[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 4, 2009 at 14:52:00 ]
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by vermonator:
Originally posted by English:
If and when Norv comes back he will change Singletary's mind.

Norv won't come back, but notwithstanding Dufus' opinion is just that. Nothing to get worried about

You're probably right, but if Norv does get fired, and he will, coming back to San Fran may make the most sense for him. He knows the area, has experience with Alex, and is familiar with the coaching staff. Never say never...

Well, just for you I won't say never! But I will say that if we take him back I want him signed to a contract which superglues his ass in place.

Sooner or later we have to keep an OC for longer than a year. It's getting just ridiculous!

Do you think after showing his inability to win with the talent the bolts had that he is going to be a hot hire for HC? I think he is now destined to be an OC for the remainder of his NFL career. I know at least two players that would love to have him back (Smith & Gore) and Singletary said he wants the style of offense that was in place here when Turner was OC. It sucks how he left last time, but who can blame a guy for leaving a rebuilding team to give a contender a shot?
Not to change the topic, but how about Brian Billick. He had been doing a lot of our games as an announcer. Knows our personnel, and sounds like he like what we have as a team. Would he accept an OC job... I think he'll be a good one for us. His offense with the Raven was terrible, but I think our personnel on offense are much more talented. He did well with the talents when he was with Minnesota.

And he had worked with Singletary in Baltimore if not mistaken.

[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 4, 2009 at 15:12:43 ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Not to change the topic, but how about Brian Billick. He had been doing a lot of our games as an announcer. Knows our personnel, and sounds like he like what we have as a team. Would he accept an OC job... I think he'll be a good one for us. His offense with the Raven was terrible, but I think our personnel on offense are much more talented. He did well with the talents when he was with Minnesota.

Billick is a WCO guy groomed under Denny Greene in Minnesota. I don't think we change systems for 2 or 3 years now.

he would be a one and done OC. i think he was a good HC, he wont stay as an OC for very long. another norv turner hire.

dilfer can go blow jim "superstar" hostler. i dont give a s**t what that sorry b*****d has to say
Originally posted by Joecool:

Billick is a WCO guy groomed under Denny Greene in Minnesota. I don't think we change systems for 2 or 3 years now.

You are right about Billick under Denny Greene, but I heard way back when that of all the Walsh guys, Greene was the least like that of Walsh offense. That Greene leans more towards the Joe Gibb Washington Redskins. Mainly on the size and the blocking scheme of the offensive line. Is that anything like the Norv offense that Smith knows...I'm not sure.
Think of it this way. The Colts struggled all game. Peyton was off his game, our d-line was getting good pressure and we kept them out of the endzone. Nothing was working for them. So what does THEIR offensive coordinator do? He runs a trick play that hasn't been run in 9 years and wins the game.

Let me ask you this question.

Does ANYONE on this board believe Raye would do the same thing to win us a game or change momentum?

However you answered this question will tell you all you need to know about our OC/HC and their philosophy.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Think of it this way. The Colts struggled all game. Peyton was off his game, our d-line was getting good pressure and we kept them out of the endzone. Nothing was working for them. So what does THEIR offensive coordinator do? He runs a trick play that hasn't been run in 9 years and wins the game.

Does ANYONE on this board believe Raye would do the same thing to win us a game or change momentum?

However you answered this question will tell you all you need to know about our OC/HC and their philosophy.

Hasn't Ronnie Brown thrown a few TD's this year?? or were those out of the wildcat?

great point
Originally posted by SDDAVE:
Just picked this up from Don Banks SI Power Rankings
San Francisco 49ers (3-4)
"Talked to Trent Dilfer about Alex Smith the other day. He too agrees the 49ers need to let Smith spread the field with receivers and do what he does best, find the open man. But he doubts whether the run-oriented Mike Singletary will open things up and run the kind of offense that best suits Smith's talents. "Toward the end of 2006 (when Smith and Dilfer were teammates in San Francisco), that's what (offensive coordinator) Norv (Turner) was moving toward, some empty backfield sets and spreading the field with receivers. Alex's used to that and that's what he how he knows how to play," Dilfer said. "But I don't think the 49ers will have the wisdom and the foresight to change to that degree. I just don't."

I believe Dilfer is talking out his anus here.
I don't think Sing is that stubborn so I believe he will start to open it up. If you remember Sean Peyton ran ran ran his rookie coaching year then realized you have to throw to put teams away.
If and when Norv comes back he will change Singletary's mind.

if Norv came back Singletary would know well enough to let him run his offense. You know Norv would still run the ball a good amount while finding other ways to get Gore involved.
Originally posted by FourNine49:

great point

Another thing to note is that Smith looked almost identical to Hill. Gore breaks off one big run for a TD and Smith drove down the field once or twice WHEN we absolutely had to in a 2 minute drill where the offense was opened up. So, blue print was the same with two different QB's and the results were exactly the same.

THAT is the OC/HC game plan and has nothing to do with the QB. You put Hill or Smith under center under a spread offense under Martz and they BOTH are very successful.

We all know where the problem lies.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home