LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 193 users in the forums

Sing sounds rigid, but makes a lot of changes

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ray Rotto's take on Singletary's rigidness

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/04/SPJR1AEIDM.DTL
Originally posted by TFSP:
About that Norris run, if he could have busted that play for 14 yrds, peolpe would be saying, " That was 1 helluva call Jimmy 'Rayray' called".

Yes you would, stop lying.

this would be true, but you have a MUCH MUCH MUCH higher chance of getting 14 yards of a pass, than off of a FB dive. and that's why it was a s**tty playcall
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Ray Rotto's take on Singletary's rigidness

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/04/SPJR1AEIDM.DTL

Ray Ratto is one of the worst sports writers out there.

I'm not saying that I disagree, per se, or that my opinion is formed from this article. It's formed from an aggregation of all of his articles that I've ever read and not a single one of them has ever been positive. I bet if you find his article when we were 3-0, you'll find only negative writing.

I'd be willing to wager that if we won the Super Bowl in blowout fashion, his next day article would be about some mundane and insignificant shortcoming in the game topped off with a "there's no way they will repeat" statement or possibly even a "worst team to win a Super Bowl" declaration.

Do I think he "hates" the 49ers? Maybe but doubtful. I think he just has that kind of personality. The ones that are always miserable and drag everyone else down with them.
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by billybonka:
if the offensive playcalling doesn't change versus the Titans and god forbid we lose, Raye needs to go, along with this inept run-first-behind a horrid/banged up OLine offense.

I don't understand this....The Niners threww twice for every run on Sunday and Gore only had 13 carries. Smith threw 32 passes.

The problem is not that the 49ers are running the ball too much. The problem is that they aren't executing the plays.

No.

Totally disagreed. It's not that we are not passing enough, it's that the plays that are being called are not the right ones for our offense.

This... and we are not playing smart. Penalties and sacks have killed good drives. The pass/run ratio is fine. A lot of the play calling is fine. But the penalties and mistakes are whats killing us.
if the offensive playcalling doesn't change versus the Titans and god forbid we lose, Raye needs to go, along with this inept run-first-behind a horrid/banged up OLine offense.

I don't understand this....The Niners threww twice for every run on Sunday and Gore only had 13 carries. Smith threw 32 passes.

The problem is not that the 49ers are running the ball too much. The problem is that they aren't executing the plays.

No.

Totally disagreed. It's not that we are not passing enough, it's that the plays that are being called are not the right ones for our offense.

Something you need to look at it is the amount of snaps Smith has had with the 1st team O. For the last 6 weeks hes been running the scout team and hasn't been practicing "our plays". Its going to take a little time for him to get back into full rhythm with the starting O.
are you kidding me? i think nolan eventually pulled every quarterback he ever used.
Originally posted by jreff22:

No.

Something you need to look at it is the amount of snaps Smith has had with the 1st team O. For the last 6 weeks hes been running the scout team and hasn't been practicing "our plays". Its going to take a little time for him to get back into full rhythm with the starting O.
you're kidding right?
Originally posted by jreff22:

No.

you're kidding right?

You think he has 100% complete timing down with all the WR's and knows the playbook inside and out? He is like any other QB 2 weeks into the season...still getting some things ironed out.
So far Singletary has made the right changes when needed. I think he sees what we all see, he just doesn't want to jump the gun. I have confidence he will do the right thing.
Most of the changes work. Smith is better than Hill, The D gave up no TDs to Manning, Vernon is playing better with a captain patch ect.

Originally posted by vermonator:
So far Singletary has made the right changes when needed. I think he sees what we all see, he just doesn't want to jump the gun. I have confidence he will do the right thing.

the changes that need to be made are using a variety of playcalling to set Smith up with the best chance on 3rd down. Not a damn FB counter on 2nd and 20 Talk about setting Smith up for failure.
About that Norris run, if he could have busted that play for 14 yrds, peolpe would be saying, " That was 1 helluva call Jimmy 'Rayray' called".

Haha
Originally posted by tohara3:

Haha

I don't know who this guy is joking. Even if he busted that for a TD I wouldn't be thinking "man that Jimmy Raye is a genius for that playcall.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

No.

Bingo! People don't realize that. We do pass a great amount of the time. But its the plays and WHEN they are called that are the MEHS

I still disagree.

To me, the playcalling hasn't been the problem. Execution of that playcalling has been the problem.

When Chilo Rachal is beaten off the snap and Frank Gore gets drilled in the backfield of Hill/Smith is sacked before he can get set, most of the time the problem isn't the play that was called. The problem was the players not handling their responsibility.

I'm not picking on Rachal because I think he will be a good oplayer in the future, but he is just an example of what I'm saying.

If the plays that are called are run correctly and the players all handle their responsibilities, we would have a very different view of the O.

The Niners O is a work in progress. They have to get to know the O and Raye needs to get to know his players.

Sadly this is the position we've been in for the better part of a decade because we keep changing OCs. Later this year and even next year, we will have alot less complaints about the playcalling because the players will execute the plays much better and the OC will understand his players better.

Its about EXECUTION.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

No.

Bingo! People don't realize that. We do pass a great amount of the time. But its the plays and WHEN they are called that are the MEHS

I still disagree.

To me, the playcalling hasn't been the problem. Execution of that playcalling has been the problem.

When Chilo Rachal is beaten off the snap and Frank Gore gets drilled in the backfield of Hill/Smith is sacked before he can get set, most of the time the problem isn't the play that was called. The problem was the players not handling their responsibility.

I'm not picking on Rachal because I think he will be a good oplayer in the future, but he is just an example of what I'm saying.

If the plays that are called are run correctly and the players all handle their responsibilities, we would have a very different view of the O.

The Niners O is a work in progress. They have to get to know the O and Raye needs to get to know his players.

Sadly this is the position we've been in for the better part of a decade because we keep changing OCs. Later this year and even next year, we will have alot less complaints about the playcalling because the players will execute the plays much better and the OC will understand his players better.

Its about EXECUTION.

I get where you are coming from but when the playcalling is as predictable as the 49ers playcalling has been with Raye it gives the defense the upper hand. Raye runs on 1rst down some crazy insane % of time. I believe it was in the high 80percentile. So that screws you over right there on first down right off of the bat. Then on 2nd down it might get a little better, I would say about 50/50 run/pass. usually the run is right up the gut for no to little yardage leaving you with 3rd and long. Obvious passing down, and again giving the defense the upperhand. This is why playcalling is important. When your offense loses the advantage to the defense because the playcalling is as predictable as ours has been you pretty much get screwed and left with 3rd and long.
Share 49ersWebzone