LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 141 users in the forums

Critiquing Smith in the second half

Shop Find 49ers gear online
After the Colts scored to go up 14-18, Smith had 2 drives to respond but he missed on both.

Right after the Colts went up 18 pts, Smith did a very good job moving the ball down to about the 20. Made some nice throws. He also missed on a few too. But the delay of game at 3rd and 7 which made it 3rd and 12 is inexcusable. He should correct this problem in the next game and the rest of the games. Unfortunately it ended in a sack, whether it was a coverage sack or it could be Smith held on to the ball longer I'm not sure. But it was a 3 man rush! which is almost inexcusable for the O-line.

In the second drive, Smith and the offense again did a very good job moving the ball from inside the 10. Again Smith made some good throws, but he also missed on a big one down the middle to Bruce. Not sure what happen there. Then it was 3rd and 10. On this play, the announcer said there's no one open but I think there was 1 maybe 2 open on the replay. Smith had time, the O-line did a very good job protecting, but Smith ran too soon when he could have stayed in there longer to give the WRs time to get open. Ran right into Freeney for a sack. I think that one would have been another big completion had he stayed with it.

We are going to light it up on somebody real soon 'cause the passing game looks really promising. It needs a little more work but we are going to be very good passing the ball

[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 4, 2009 at 07:38:15 ]
I think another week of practice with Smith at QB and Crabtree at WR is going to be big for this team. Each week the passing game should get better and better.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Alex Smith only fault in this game are the interception in the first half, and the delay of game penalty.

A) What hurt in the second half are first of all, the colts had two long time consuming drives.

B) Crabtree fumble killed a good drive, and twice on third down the OL allowed sacks, Smith never really had time to set up

I like what I see out of Smith. Crabtree will get better, Vernon is having his best season. But the OL has been inconsistent and if this team is going to make a run, it will be these guys that make it happen
Originally posted by GORO:
Alex Smith only fault in this game are the interception in the first half, and the delay of game penalty.

A) What hurt in the second half are first of all, the colts had two long time consuming drives.

B) Crabtree fumble killed a good drive, and twice on third down the OL allowed sacks, Smith never really had time to set up

I like what I see out of Smith. Crabtree will get better, Vernon is having his best season. But the OL has been inconsistent and if this team is going to make a run, it will be these guys that make it happen

Agreed.

The biggest thing was they had no turnovers and we had a couple that turned into points for them. Not to mention a stupid 15 yard penalty that turned into points. These things can be fixed. Nonetheless, the team played better against that Colts offense than anyone else has this year, and for that I think we can be proud and have something to look forward to. When this team finally gels they are going to be good for a long time.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Give the guy a break, he hasn't played in a year and a half.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Give the guy a break, he hasn't played in a year and a half.

op did not say anything that negative....OMG some of you people........it is starting already....geez

Some one brought up his age again in an other thread.....saying he is "only" 25 years old..... I really hope everything works out and he keeps us in the playoff hunt....if not, this forum will explode.

[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 4, 2009 at 10:40:44 ]

You know i said the same thing, but it's funny, even MM of the Bee said that the ball could of gotten caught. and when analysts speak of the play, no one says about smith's throw.

The way i see it, even tho some may not like it. No pass is always gonna be perfect. I watched Brees, Brady, Manning (both), underthrow, and overthrow balls. And what happens, the receiver makes the catch and the play, then they move on. With our team for some reason, it's mostly the qb for some reason. Im watching WR, jump high as hell in the air to catch passes, stretch to catch passes thrown at their feet or below the waist, and still make the play.

So i'm just saying, proven, unproven. One thing is fact. Regardless of the percentage Alex is not the same he has been, period. It's just upsetting tho if you watch a game, see a great QB do the same thing Alex does at times, except, we dont even mention that. Manning didnt throw an INT, but did anyone see how many passes sailed over, under, and he still passed for over 350 yds, no TD's or INT's, and our boy had at least 1TD, so i mean i think he did a good job, and as i said, either way it's better than we had before.
Part of what made the Walsh teams good was that they did not often beat themselves with foolish penalties and mistakes (smart players). Many games are won by making fewer mistakes than the opponent.

Although Vernon Davis can make impressive plays, he still drives me crazy with his penalties and bone-headed mistakes. I do not care what amount of talent we get, we will not go where we want to go, unless these issues are taken care of.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

You know i said the same thing, but it's funny, even MM of the Bee said that the ball could of gotten caught. and when analysts speak of the play, no one says about smith's throw.

The way i see it, even tho some may not like it. No pass is always gonna be perfect. I watched Brees, Brady, Manning (both), underthrow, and overthrow balls. And what happens, the receiver makes the catch and the play, then they move on. With our team for some reason, it's mostly the qb for some reason. Im watching WR, jump high as hell in the air to catch passes, stretch to catch passes thrown at their feet or below the waist, and still make the play.

So i'm just saying, proven, unproven. One thing is fact. Regardless of the percentage Alex is not the same he has been, period. It's just upsetting tho if you watch a game, see a great QB do the same thing Alex does at times, except, we dont even mention that. Manning didnt throw an INT, but did anyone see how many passes sailed over, under, and he still passed for over 350 yds, no TD's or INT's, and our boy had at least 1TD, so i mean i think he did a good job, and as i said, either way it's better than we had before.

Yeah, was watching the Saints game the other day, some of Brees' throw were off too but his receivers made him look good by making the high, twisting catches. How 'bout that one hander by Shockey Those bad throws are part of every qb's game, Smith just gets more bashing of it because of his history and some pretty average receivers that was here.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

Agreed.

The biggest thing was they had no turnovers and we had a couple that turned into points for them. Not to mention a stupid 15 yard penalty that turned into points. These things can be fixed. Nonetheless, the team played better against that Colts offense than anyone else has this year, and for that I think we can be proud and have something to look forward to. When this team finally gels they are going to be good for a long time.

Agree, we are gonna finish the season strong!

I forgot what it was but a lot of people pointed out a huge flaw in the Alex's mechanics from the past--something about lifting his leg when throwing, making his movement?

Whatever it was--is he still doing it? :)

[ Edited by fortyninerglory on Nov 4, 2009 at 14:55:48 ]
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
I forgot what it was but a lot of people pointed out a huge flaw in the Alex's mechanics from the past--something about lifting his leg when throwing, making his movement?

Whatever it was--is he still doing it? :)

He was locking his planted leg. For some reason this was causing the ball to be really high. and from pictures I have seen he is back to bending his leg.
All in all, the team did not play well. I also feel that we are about to pound someone into the ground in a blowout very soon when everything clicks.

Smith threw bad balls at key moments.

Vernon needs to get his head into every catch.

Bruce has been abducted by aliens and effed up big.

Crabtree needs to tuck the damn ball.

Bly needs to intercept the damn ball when it hits his chest: he's dropped a few of these now.

Gore need to break a 60 yard run...oh wait. Mr. Reliable.

It was a bizarro world game: Sims played solid and Bruce didn't. Brown at corner over Clements. Peyton Manning having accuracy issues...
Agreed. I think Smith made some errors but I'm not too bothered because they are the result of Smith actually taking chances and letting it rip instead of being a pansy with the ball. But yes it's time to tighten it up.

I do like what I see though. Very impressed. Time for some Ws.
Yeah this offense is not far from putting together a very good game. Hope it happens soon.
Share 49ersWebzone