LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 132 users in the forums

Smith labled a "choke" QB.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Canadian49er:
Originally posted by Reckless:
On First take they were discussing The Saints/Falcons game and the fact they consider Ryan's 3 picks "choke throws".

The 1st and 10 crew said there are few QB's like that in the NFL, Jay Cutler, Philip Rivers, and to an extent, McNabb...

Then for whatever reason they brought up Smith saying in the both games he played he had "choke throws".

I don't know about the rest of the zone, but I don't see Smith as a choke artist.

The Seattle game in '06, then the opener in '07. Plus the chance to really play a full season to show more.

Yeah he's a choke artist the same way he's a 25 year old bust with only one full season as a starter.

He hasn't the opportunity to be a bust...and he hasn't had the opportunity to be a choker.

Wow. So how many years old is that one?

talk about being blind to the point of a sentence. Did you stop reading at he's 25 years old?

Or you can just answer the question. I guess I will.

Back in late season of 2005, some zoners posted they think Alex Smith was going to bust. Based on a historically terrible rookie season. The vast majority of zoners retorted that it was too early to tell, and he has not had the proper opportunity to label him as anything.

So, the answer is, that excuse is now 4 years old. Just stating the facts.
On First take they were discussing The Saints/Falcons game and the fact they consider Ryan's 3 picks "choke throws".

The 1st and 10 crew said there are few QB's like that in the NFL, Jay Cutler, Philip Rivers, and to an extent, McNabb...

Then for whatever reason they brought up Smith saying in the both games he played he had "choke throws".

I don't know about the rest of the zone, but I don't see Smith as a choke artist.

The Seattle game in '06, then the opener in '07. Plus the chance to really play a full season to show more.

Yeah he's a choke artist the same way he's a 25 year old bust with only one full season as a starter.

He hasn't the opportunity to be a bust...and he hasn't had the opportunity to be a choker.

talk about being blind to the point of a sentence. Did you stop reading at he's 25 years old?

Back in late season of 2005, some zoners posted they think Alex Smith was going to bust. Based on a historically terrible rookie season. The vast majority of zoners retorted that it was too early to tell, and he has not had the proper opportunity to label him as anything.

The point the other poster was trying to make was that he has only had 1 full season as a starter! But I guess you missed that part in your blind rage about Smith starting over Hill now.
well.................

he used to choke a lot

Many other Zoners were impressed with the 06 season. What games did he choke away that year? I do remember him lead a great comeback against the Hawks and a last-minute drive that knocked the Broncos out of the playoffs (in Denver, no less). The first game of next season he put the team on his back and led a brilliant drive to beat the Cardinals. How did a young "choker" manage these things?

The facts you state are extremely selective.

[ Edited by BHulman on Nov 4, 2009 at 17:48:52 ]

The point the other poster was trying to make was that he has only had 1 full season as a starter! But I guess you missed that part in your blind rage about Smith starting over Hill now.

no I did not miss, that point was too ridiculous to bring up. WHat does a full season mean?

So, can I join the NFL start 15 of 16 games per year put up a 60 career rating and play 10 years in the league? Afterall, you can't judge a guy without a full season in right?

Throw away arguments are lame. Hey lets look at only full seasons. Or lets look at only post Nolan games. Or lets look at only pre injury games. Or lets look only at post Nolan, full games which of course leaves us with only Indy. OK, lets look only at post nolan full games against non top 10 teams....YEAH.....there are none of those yet...so I can keep hoping.

All of my arguments have always been about Alex Smith's whole body of work...that is his first pre-season game until Today. Perhaps that is why my predictions are coming true, because I did not cherry pick analysis

no I did not miss, that point was too ridiculous to bring up. WHat does a full season mean?

So, can I join the NFL start 15 of 16 games per year put up a 60 career rating and play 10 years in the league? Afterall, you can't judge a guy without a full season in right?

Throw away arguments are lame. Hey lets look at only full seasons. Or lets look at only post Nolan games. Or lets look at only pre injury games. Or lets look only at post Nolan, full games which of course leaves us with only Indy. OK, lets look only at post nolan full games against non top 10 teams....YEAH.....there are none of those yet...so I can keep hoping.

All of my arguments have always been about Alex Smith's whole body of work...that is his first pre-season game until Today. Perhaps that is why my predictions are coming true, because I did not cherry pick analysis

The point is he still has limited playing time to be labeled a "choke artist" I guess with some people you really do have to spell things out for them. I am sure you still won't get the point being made though. You Hill swingers never do

Did you predict that he would come out and really open people's eyes that this guy might truly become a good NFL quarterback? Kudos to you if you did. I was hoping for it but was not so bold as to predict it.
Originally posted by BHulman:

Did you predict that he would come out and really open people's eyes that this guy might truly become a good NFL quarterback? Kudos to you if you did. I was hoping for it but was not so bold as to predict it.

I predicted him to become a bust. While people still have to use the word "might" about him, that is still very much possible

I predicted him to become a bust. While people still have to use the word "might" about him, that is still very much possible

So your not encouraged at all? It's the same old Alex?

If I had to bet right now, I would say he escapes the bust label. I would also say he is probably going to be the 49er starting QB for a long time.

I doubt he will ever lead us to a ring though. He could be a major contributor to a championship season though. Think Big Ben or Eli.

The problem is, those teams are loaded defensively.

I can live with Alex Smith at the helm like I lived with Jeff Garcia, but if you want a 6th Ring behind him....then we better start drafting much much much better.

If I had to bet right now, I would say he escapes the bust label. I would also say he is probably going to be the 49er starting QB for a long time.

I doubt he will ever lead us to a ring though. He could be a major contributor to a championship season though. Think Big Ben or Eli.

I can live with Alex Smith at the helm like I lived with Jeff Garcia, but if you want a 6th Ring behind him....then we better start drafting much much much better.

Fair enough.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
You have to seal the deal. Late game rallies that fall short = choke. Having a lead, then not scoring in the 2nd half, and losing = choke. I know it is not all on the QB, but he has to be the guy to pull the O out of those ruts.

Steve Young was seen by many as a choke asrtist until he won the Superbowl. Smith is going to have to do A LOT to prove he is not one.

Lets see, coming back from a 21 point deficit- not to shabby(still should have won)
Defense giving up a TD on a damn trick play and then couldn't get the ball back to give Smith another shot at a game winning drive-blame that on the D(still should have won)

As I mentioned, I know it is not all on the QB. But unless a QB (notice I talk in general terms, and not specifically Smith) can find a way to get those last few points to win at the end, the perception of choking is out there. Is it fair? I guess not, but life isn't fair, is it?
Originally posted by TFSP:
I can't understand how anybody can label Alex a bust. Has hasn't been in a situation where the playing ground has EVER been even to be compared to other Qbs. We've had 1 maybe 2 very good linemen the whole time he's been here. We've had like 12 or so that played 'musical chairs' on the line. We don't even have to mention the 27 offnse cords he's had, injured, dealing with a close death, a head coach that didn't want him, etc..s**ttay wr cores, prior this year...on and on...NOW...

When a QB only goes through 30% of the obstacles AS went through and then still played s**ttay, then there's your 1st overall pick BUST. I'm glad AS didn't turn to hard drugs or alcohol like most do(notice I said hard drugs).

I'm sure as a high school jock-boy ASmith burned. After all. he is from San Diego!

WE are getting to that point. I mean, how many members of our defense could we upgrade as 1 1/2 to 2 times better? Goldson? Brown? Sope? we are close, very close. I really hope we get a major upgrade on our offense in the Draft to catch up. It is almost "hired gun" Free Agent time for this team!
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:

Now, here's a choke artist...

Share 49ersWebzone